PDA

View Full Version : Dream Releases?

Toaau
2016-01-18, 07:00 AM
What would your dream release schedule/lineup be? Assuming any setting, and total fanboyism allowed, what would your dream wishlist be, sticking to 5e's slow release schedule?

For mine, I'm discounting FR, as I've had enough of that for now, and I'm focusing on what I think are the big four (FR excluded). My preferences show, as my preferred settings get a more imaginative writeup. 😉

Eberron-x2 Hardbacks.
The Adventurers Guide to Khorvaire.
Includes Artificer, assorted archetypes, backgrounds, spells, feats and races. Also includes a lot of setting fluff.
Blades of the Dreaming Dark.
3 Eberron adventures, levels 1-4, 6-10 and 14-18. Doubles as a DMs guide, with Magic Items, monsters, and info on the various Big Bads.

Dark Sun-x1 Box Set.
Dark Sun Box Set.
Includes 3 paperbacks in the style of the Starter Set, but bigger than the ones in there: Players Guide to Athas (Psionics, classes, races, spells, backgrounds etc), Dungeon Masters Guide to Athas (Magic Items, monsters etc), and The Sea of the Dead (adventure for levels 3-8). Fluff spread across the two guides.

Dragonlance-x1 Hardback, x1 PDF.
Dragons of Krynn.
An update of the classic Dragonlance 12-part adventure, heavily modified and updated for less railroading and a better fit with 5e.
Dragonlance Players Companion.
Free PDF with unique player options.

Ravenloft-x1 Hardback.
Curse of Strahd.
Contains player options and setting fluff, along with a short adventure, perhaps levels 5-7.

EccentricCircle
2016-01-18, 02:15 PM
Right now what i'd like most is a second monster manual volume.
I Don't mind the slow release schedule, and for my purposes there are plenty of character options in the core rules. But as DM I would like more resources. The Monster Manual is great, but it is the same monsters that always appear in the first monster manual. I've used them all at some point in one game or another over the years.

Setting wise my wish list goes:
Eberron, Spelljammer, Al Qadim, Dark Sun.
But I'm not desperate to see any of them, per se, its more that i'd like to see some non forgotten realms stuff for a change.

In terms of character options it would be good to get more races, and playable monsters, as I can see I'm going to need to do a fair amount of home brewing if I ever want to do some of my campaigns in 5e, but on the whole I can live without extensive character stuff.

JoeJ
2016-01-18, 03:00 PM
My top 5, in order, are:

1) Monster Manual II
2) Spelljammer
3) Birthright
4) Al-Qadim
5) Kara-Tur

Edit: Not that this is going to happen, but I'd actually want something like the old 2e Historical Reference series ahead of anything on the list except a second MM.

eastmabl
2016-01-18, 04:48 PM
For folks looking for the MMII, you should pay attention to the Tome of Monsters coming from Kobold Press (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/tome-of-beasts-300-new-monsters-for-5th-edition).

Theoretically, it's supposed to be released in April 2016, but I would get that a GenCon release might be more realistic.

mephnick
2016-01-18, 04:56 PM
Monster Manual 2 is pretty much the only thing I want.

I've seen Fifth Edition Foes and didn't like it (how many damn monsters can possibly auto-grapple after attacking, can you think of anything else?) and am not sure how good the Kobold Press one will be. I'm not a huge fan of third party stuff for the most part.

The setting stuff is useless to me and I feel the base game hits most of the kinds of characters needed for D&D (especially with multi-classing). I wouldn't mind getting a book that collects all the PC options from the setting books in one place once they've released a few.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-18, 05:17 PM
What I would LOVE to see is one big ol' mass encyclopedia of the "main" (read: published) worlds of D&D. I would love to just sit down and flip through a big ol' book of that with sweet artwork and all that sweet info about the big worlds.

Steampunkette
2016-01-18, 10:49 PM
Psionics.
Dark Sun.
Spelljammer.
Eberron.

Seasonal and Holiday Unearthed Arcana.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-18, 10:57 PM
Something new, stop with this bull crap rehashing everything over and over again. Give me an entire setting that is brand new with new base classes.

How about a setting where the world is iron age based? How about a world where there is no other humanoids other than the PCs (they wake up from stasis?) and they have to fend for themselves in a lush jungle environment and ruined cities (perhaps take an actual real world city and use that as the starting point, I would go with somewhere like Atlanta*). The story line could be fiding other people in stasis or bringing people from the past to the present or whatever else.

Anything, just, anything besides the same old stuff again.

*eventually they go to ruined LA. Massive USA jungle or whatever and then a desert before reaching Ruined LA.

Zerazar
2016-01-19, 10:13 AM
Most important for me: A good digital character builder tool with all official content (not just the SRD). I'd even pay subcriptions for this.

Least important for me: Settings. I'm actually surprised so many people enjoy them so much, and a little frustrated that I'm missing out on that enjoyment.

One thing I'd be interested in seeing is kinda "sub game gimmicks"-book. Like, a book dedicated to fleshing out how to run a campaign centered around running a shop or a village or something. With actual mechanics and content, not just DM suggestions.