PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Recording PC gameplay?

Togath
2016-01-18, 08:37 AM
Semi related to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475456-Recording-gameplay-footage-on-a-ps3&p=20312557#post20312557)

I've been wanting to try recording gameplay footage for pc games, but have been unsure of, well, how.
I've heard of "fraps", but also that it's relatively expensive, and consumes a lot of storage space relative to video length(some of what I read mentioned stuff like 10 minute videos consuming 150+gb of storage space, which seems kind of excessive :smalleek:).
For specific games, I'd probably be aiming for gba or early ds games primarily(so taking up very little processing power themselves), but have also considered somewhat more resource intensive ones(such as borderlands or hearthstone).

Fri
2016-01-18, 09:17 AM
I had success using a program called Dxtory. You can have it for free except the video you record would have big Dxtory text on it :p.

But I think you can buy it cheaper than Fraps.

The main premise of Dxtory I think is that it's resource efficient, so you could use it and play heavy games and not have your computer be burdened.

If you're using that, you should download another codex (since the default codex is still not very efficient) called lazalith codec, and also set up the quality of the recording. You can get reasonably good quality with smaller file, and the lower the quality you set up the filesize would be even smaller.

Togath
2016-01-18, 09:48 AM
May look into that.
Are payments for these sorts of thing a one time thing, or monthly?

Fri
2016-01-18, 09:50 AM
One time only. It's a program that you buy.

You can (and should) get the trial for a test run.

Armaius
2016-01-18, 09:51 AM
I use OBS for all of my recording needs. It's open-source and completely free.

https://obsproject.com/

Togath
2016-01-18, 10:33 AM
Downloaded and taking a look now

thracian
2016-01-19, 03:11 PM
I can second OBS. I do not own a PS3, but have had success using it to record a PS4 through an Elgato capture card as well as local recordings on my computer.