PDA

View Full Version : Tips on IM Gaming

Maerok
2007-06-14, 09:04 AM
I'd like to start a campaign really soon, but I want it to be fast(er)-paced so I was thinking to do it with IM. And I'd also like to use an actual graphical representation of the area, instead of mere description, which could be done via direct connect and a .png or the like of the area. But does anyone have any advice for this (running a game on IM)? I couldn't really find any good information through Google.

Maybe two times a week, at night, 2 hours a piece?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-14, 09:07 AM
I (and a few other folks who should be showing up sooner or later :P ) am actually a member of an IM/non-PbP game, meeting once a week.

Initially, we used MSN chats, but of late we've all installed and are utilizing OpenRPG, which I can reccomend pretty much unreservedly; it's got a built-in roller, a map function, miniatures functionality, all the standard stuff, and it seems fairly reliable.

I'd give that a shot, if you're looking for real-time long-distance gaming.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 09:14 AM
Oh, I have heard good things about OpenRPG and I installed it once but never got around to using it. I'll try that out later and see if its what I'm looking for. It covers talking I assume? (Maybe IM as OOC?) (Any Vista compatibility?)

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-14, 09:17 AM
Yes, of course.

It's a chat window with dice-roller right above that, and map window right above that, and a listing of 'team status' (i.e. who's online) to the left.

Double-click on anyone's name in that last, you'll be 'whispering' to them; when they reply, it opens a tab so you can converse in private; and everyone has a whisper-to-DM tab by default, I believe- for spot checks and the like, or just questions. OOC handled.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-06-14, 09:18 AM
If you and your group aren't opposed to shelling out a little cash, you might consider using Fantasygrounds. It's what I use to run a game with my old table top group, and I find that it works quite well.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 09:20 AM
Cool. Is it Vista compatible?

And FantasyGrounds looks pretty sweet.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-14, 09:34 AM
OpenRPG is my savior.

A recommendation, from a DM: don't wait for anyone. Keep the action moving. People are at their computers, and are therefore very easily distracted. Keep them motivated, keep things going, and you will have a rapt group.

Maxymiuk
2007-06-14, 10:47 AM
A recommendation, from a DM: don't wait for anyone. Keep the action moving. People are at their computers, and are therefore very easily distracted. Keep them motivated, keep things going, and you will have a rapt group.

Seconded.

Also, build your plots not to involve as much combat as in typical tabletop. IRL this can already take an hour or two. On screen, when everyone has to type everything out, this can go on for twice as long.

Gerrtt
2007-06-14, 12:56 PM
I would also reccomend setting some ground rules regarding who can speak at any given time. For example, if an NPC is addressing one player, only that player needs to speak unless there is a very serious issue that absolutely must be brought up. This includes doing a constant stream of complicated emotes.

Combat can be extremely tedious. I would reccomend that the players need to have their actions thought out about 2 rounds in advance, but not so thought out that there is no wiggle room for unexpected events.

Finally, make sure everyone is running the same version. The last time I played on ORPG only half the players were running the latest version of the game and it caused all kinds of problems for us graphically and functionally.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 01:25 PM
Where does everyone get their miniatures icons? And how do you add them? I'm playing around with OpenRPG to begin setting up my campaign.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-14, 01:32 PM
I actually grab images straight from the WotC website and resize them to 60x60. A little warped, but they function.

The Tangled Web (http://thetangledweb.net) also has some.

You can see an example of an IM game not using OpenRPG here (http://red_under_blue.livejournal.com), and an example of an IM game using OpenRPG here (http://astormiscoming.livejournal.com).

Maerok
2007-06-14, 01:41 PM
So it can be run like IM, and not necessarily use the map? (The documentation on OpenRPG seems a little weak in some points.) I'd need the map for combat only, since I don't want to have to guess where people are relative to one another.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-14, 01:54 PM
Yup. The chat client built into OpenRPG is basically an IRC channel.

Gerrtt
2007-06-14, 01:55 PM
Yeah totally...I only like to use the map function for combat really. Some people like to make maps of their dungeons and stuff but it's not required. If you are more comfortable just explaining the layout to death that's up to you.

I would definitely use the map for combat though, and make sure that your players only move their minis on their turn and when they do move them only allow them to move 1 space at a time so you can check for AoOs.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 02:20 PM
Alright. Now how do I edit the map? It looks like File->NewMap only gives a demo map or something.

Diggorian
2007-06-14, 02:21 PM
Aside from adding yet another ringing endorsement for OpenRPG, got two suggestions:

I found it helpful to pretype and save my flavor text for various things then cut/paste them into the chat. Keeps pacing tight even if you're a keyboard and spelling master.

Also useful are PC profilers found on the web like this one (http://www.flminis.org/rpgwebprofiler/). They give ready access to character sheets like my avatar PC (http://www.flminis.org/rpgwebprofiler/view.php?id=1025) Other sites with different formats exist, Google'em.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-14, 02:30 PM
Alright. Now how do I edit the map? It looks like File->NewMap only gives a demo map or something.

Click the whiteboard tab, and start drawing.

Ravyn
2007-06-14, 02:41 PM
I've actually done most of my gaming over IM without anything even remotely resembling a map--getting on for two years now.

Things to know:

Color-coding, if you can get it, is good. Particularly if you have a large number of NPCs; while your players may not necessarily remember which of the minor NPCs are which color between sessions, it's good for making sure they can tell them apart during the session.

Two hours is far too short. Most chat-games I've seen work best if they run for at least four, and my group's been known to drag things on closer to ten. Twice a week.... if that's what you're up for, go for it. I find it works better in one large chunk per week than a few small ones, though.

Make sure your group agrees on how to handle distractions, OOC, that sort of thing. Figure out how you're going to handle one person running off for dinner, and stick to it. (Synchronize dinners, if at all possible.)

Definitely avoid fights, or at least spread them out so you can resolve multiple actions at the same time without people tripping over each other. And definitely have people plan their attacks ahead.

Write up your own descriptions ahead of time, when you can. Not only does that allow them to really sparkle, but it saves typing time during the game itself.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 05:12 PM
Ok. I was definitely going to do color coding and pre-written flavor stuff. I've also got a program for world maps (as the overworld or just in-game maps). It's going to be a Sandstorm campaign, so a lot of it is combating the environment rather than a living enemy. I'll be showing off the basics of the setting for some advice in Homebrew eventually.

Gerrtt
2007-06-14, 05:17 PM
The other way you can do the maps, if you are so inclined, is to use a drawing program (my friends use photoshop, etc) to make a map and then load it through ORPG. It's more time consuming, for sure, but worth it if your players need that sort of thing to get through a puzzle.

Maerok
2007-06-14, 07:53 PM
I really wish Vista didn't have all the driver-compatibility issues I've encountered so far... Then I'd have access to my digital drawing pad. :smallbiggrin: And my sweet picture of a dry lich.

Thank you everyone for all the advice!!!

Ok, so four+ hours... I guess with time zones there's always someone awake. I'd prefer to do it at night.

Starsinger
2007-06-14, 07:59 PM
We use AIM to play D&D, and it works okay, but if people like to roleplay, it's a bit worse, since aim chatrooms have a text limit. So you'll often have to

stop, press enter, and continue as you type... which can get very annoying specifically if you have to give alot of information like if you're the DM

describing a new town, or NPC that the party saw/met. It might look something like this.

Deel
2007-06-14, 08:26 PM
A group I game with uses Gametable (http://gametable.galactanet.com/), and it works pretty well. It's nothing really fancy, just a chat, a dice macro, and a board for tokens/layout, but that's what I like about it, stuff like Fantasy Grounds and OpenRPG can get complicated trying to integrate too much stuff - give me gametable and RPGWebProfiler (http://rpgwebprofiler.net) for character sheets any day.

Ravyn
2007-06-14, 10:38 PM
The gap thing isn't too bad as long as you've got some sort of system together so people know when you're finished and don't interrupt you in mid-description--very useful when even the players are occasionally going into the realm of three-segment entries.

A good way to go is starting with (This'll be a long one, so hold tight) or words to that effect and ending with (fin).

Parentheses, by the way, make very good OOC markers.

Maerok
2007-06-15, 09:37 PM
A group I game with uses Gametable (http://gametable.galactanet.com/), and it works pretty well. It's nothing really fancy, just a chat, a dice macro, and a board for tokens/layout, but that's what I like about it, stuff like Fantasy Grounds and OpenRPG can get complicated trying to integrate too much stuff - give me gametable and RPGWebProfiler (http://rpgwebprofiler.net) for character sheets any day.

I downloaded Gametable and I like how it looks; clean layout, with icons included.