PDA

View Full Version : Conjuring the Tarrasque??

Cynicalpuppy
2016-01-18, 03:22 PM
Q. Is it possible for a lvl 20 spell caster to conjure the Tarrasque via the 9th lvl spell Gate? I know the opens a portal 20 ft wide and the Tarrasque is 50 ft tall, but couldn't it just crawl through the portal then proceed to snack on everyone? I mean thinking about it, just cause someone is 6 ft tall doesn't mean they can't crawl through a 2 ft hole.

mephnick
2016-01-18, 03:34 PM
I think the Tarrasque sleeps like 99.9999999% of the time.

It would be pretty funny to open a gate and drop a snoring Tarrasque on someone.

eastmabl
2016-01-18, 04:41 PM
Q. Is it possible for a lvl 20 spell caster to conjure the Tarrasque via the 9th lvl spell Gate? I know the opens a portal 20 ft wide and the Tarrasque is 50 ft tall, but couldn't it just crawl through the portal then proceed to snack on everyone? I mean thinking about it, just cause someone is 6 ft tall doesn't mean they can't crawl through a 2 ft hole.

Look at the rules for squeezing. If the gate is large enough for a huge creature to fit through, the gargantuan tarrasque could fit through - in theory.

Although I like the thought of a slumbering tarrasque falling onto the battlefield.

JoeJ
2016-01-18, 05:21 PM
It only works if you're not on the same plane as the tarrasque when you cast the spell. (I believe there was something in a previous thread about trapping the tarrasque in a demiplane just so it could be gated in to wherever the caster happens to be.)

Also, gate doesn't give you any control over it once it arrives, so you might want to have an exit strategy prepared.

MaxWilson
2016-01-18, 05:54 PM
Better hope the enemy doesn't have a first-level wizard around to kill the Tarrasque when it arrives.

As countermeasure against such wizards, I suggest a common housecat.

Also, why not gate in Tiamat instead? Same CR but about a dozen times more effective.

joaber
2016-01-18, 06:05 PM
Better hope the enemy doesn't have a first-level wizard around to kill the Tarrasque when it arrives.

As countermeasure against such wizards, I suggest a common housecat.

Also, why not gate in Tiamat instead? Same CR but about a dozen times more effective.

tarrasque's Int = 3
tiamat's Int = 26

maybe tarrasque is easier to manipulate.

Slipperychicken
2016-01-19, 07:52 AM
(I believe there was something in a previous thread about trapping the tarrasque in a demiplane just so it could be gated in to wherever the caster happens to be.)

That's actually not a bad way to stop the Tarrasque. Just go to some nasty plane that damages it every round, and Gate the tarrasque there. Then it's just a matter of keeping yourself safe while the old brute gets worn down by environmental damage. Or go for the 'sealed evil in a can' route and stick him somewhere he's not likely to escape without help.

JoeJ
2016-01-19, 03:24 PM

Tiamat is a deity. Gates only open in her presence if she wants them to.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-19, 03:42 PM
Tiamat is a deity. Gates only open in her presence if she wants them to.

Yeah, and I wouldn't put it passed her to want to come to the material plane...

JoeJ
2016-01-19, 04:06 PM
Yeah, and I wouldn't put it passed her to want to come to the material plane...

Maybe, but it's still up to her. That's a level of uncertainty you don't have if you gate in the tarrasque.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-19, 05:33 PM
Maybe, but it's still up to her. That's a level of uncertainty you don't have if you gate in the tarrasque.

Isn't Tiamat in prison somewhere in one of the hells? It's been a while since I went over that book. If she is, I'm sure she will take a free ticket out of there.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-20, 08:09 AM
Isn't Tiamat in prison somewhere in one of the hells? It's been a while since I went over that book. If she is, I'm sure she will take a free ticket out of there.

Of course, even in that adventure, her first action after being summoned was
eating all the cultists

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-20, 08:43 AM
Of course, even in that adventure, her first action after being summoned was
eating all the cultists

I thought so, but it's been a while. Sounds like she would accept for a decent snack and a get out of jail free card...

Shining Wrath
2016-01-20, 10:28 AM
Yes, you can conjure the Tarrasque as he sleeps in the fetal position.
If you conjure Tiamat she's going to eat you first, as the person on the battlefield capable of casting 9th level spells you are clearly the greatest nearby threat to her plan to eat everyone on the planet.

The idea of conjuring the Tarrasque, not as a way to win a battle, but as a way to stop one, amuses me - Big T drops into the middle of things, sound asleep, and everyone enters Elmer Fudd mode: "Be vewy qwiet".

Millface
2016-01-20, 11:16 AM
As funny as that would be, the Tarrasque is no joke when it wakes up, it goes on a huge rampage. As a DM I would allow this 100%, but the consequences if the party doesn't also prepare a way to get rid of the Tarrasque will be enormous. Any mage, even level 20, that is so haphazard with his or her power that they awaken the Tarrasque and set it loose on innocent lives is going to have powerful authorities to answer to, and pronto.

Shaofoo
2016-01-20, 11:45 AM
I am not sure why do people think that you can drop the slumbering Tarrasque through the portal, if he is 50 feet tall and the portal is 20 feet tall he will get stuck because he can't squeeze through while unconscious. Basically you wasted your 9th level spell to see Godzilla's butt.

Also there is the fact that you don't know if Tarrasque is even the real name of the creature. Or if creatures can even have names. It'd be like saying I summon Batman instead of Bruce Wayne.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-20, 11:59 AM
I had no idea the Tarrasque was actually a billionaire

allenw
2016-01-20, 01:57 PM
Treasure Type "All".

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-20, 02:55 PM
As funny as that would be, the Tarrasque is no joke when it wakes up, it goes on a huge rampage. As a DM I would allow this 100%, but the consequences if the party doesn't also prepare a way to get rid of the Tarrasque will be enormous. Any mage, even level 20, that is so haphazard with his or her power that they awaken the Tarrasque and set it loose on innocent lives is going to have powerful authorities to answer to, and pronto.

Actually the Big T has been a joke since... Well at least since WotC has designed it.

I am not sure why do people think that you can drop the slumbering Tarrasque through the portal, if he is 50 feet tall and the portal is 20 feet tall he will get stuck because he can't squeeze through while unconscious. Basically you wasted your 9th level spell to see Godzilla's butt.

Also there is the fact that you don't know if Tarrasque is even the real name of the creature. Or if creatures can even have names. It'd be like saying I summon Batman instead of Bruce Wayne.

Divine Intervention "Reduce Monster"?

Cleric: Divine Intervention "Reduce Monster"
Deity: ....
Cleric: I'm super serial right now...
Deity: Can I just teleport it to you?
Cleric: Nope, I want this to work.
Deity: You know that isn't a spell right?
Cleric: Does it matter? You going to let a small fact such as that make you look like a chump in front of everyone?
Deity: .....
Deity: ........
Deity: ...........
Deity: *sigh* Fine, but no calling me for a week.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-20, 08:54 PM
Actually the Big T has been a joke since... Well at least since WotC has designed it.

Divine Intervention "Reduce Monster"?

Cleric: Divine Intervention "Reduce Monster"
Deity: ....
Cleric: I'm super serial right now...
Deity: Can I just teleport it to you?
Cleric: Nope, I want this to work.
Deity: You know that isn't a spell right?
Cleric: Does it matter? You going to let a small fact such as that make you look like a chump in front of everyone?
Deity: .....
Deity: ........
Deity: ...........
Deity: *sigh* Fine, but no calling me for a week.

*throws a white and red ball* Tarrasque, I choose you!

JoeJ
2016-01-21, 03:15 AM

I haven't read or played that adventure. Is there some reason her own worshippers can't just Gate her out of prison? If there is, that might also stop some random wizard from doing it.

Inevitability
2016-01-21, 03:31 AM
I haven't read or played that adventure. Is there some reason her own worshippers can't just Gate her out of prison? If there is, that might also stop some random wizard from doing it.

I'm fairly sure a random Gate isn't going to break through a seal forged by gods. At the very least, not without a lengthy ceremony.

Besides, does Tiamat even have worshippers who can cast Gate?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-21, 10:12 AM
I'm fairly sure a random Gate isn't going to break through a seal forged by gods. At the very least, not without a lengthy ceremony.

Besides, does Tiamat even have worshippers who can cast Gate?

This was my thought, they needed a ceremony and the planes to align correctly because they were all low to mix level expendables needing to work together.

If you was a level 20 cleric of Tiamat (or an ally of Timat) I don't think she would auto eat you as you are still useful to her.

The dudes from the adventure lost their purpose.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-21, 11:47 AM
This was my thought, they needed a ceremony and the planes to align correctly because they were all low to mix level expendables needing to work together.

If you was a level 20 cleric of Tiamat (or an ally of Timat) I don't think she would auto eat you as you are still useful to her.

The dudes from the adventure lost their purpose.

I think it was because they are humans. She only cares about her "chosen people", chromatic dragons. And maybe kobolds, if they are relatives?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-21, 12:15 PM
I think it was because they are humans. She only cares about her "chosen people", chromatic dragons. And maybe kobolds, if they are relatives?

That would make sense, though humans can have Dragon blood in them and not show much or anything. It isn't like every Dragon sorcerer blood relative was a sorcerer.

I just think that a level 20 or so Cleric or whatever is too useful of a tool to just eat. It isn't like the Cleric can really do you much harm, he'll a 4 person team is usually a joke to Tiamat's avatar.

Besides, maybe this person has a grudge against Bahamut (or others) and it will be I terestimg to see what it has planned?