PDA

View Full Version : Computer Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-18, 09:19 PM
So, this game is out very soon, in less than two days in fact. I literally only just heard about it, from astonishingly enough, a youtube advert, quietly in one corner while I was watching Jim Sterling. Will wonders never cease, for the first time ever something being advertised I'm actually mildy interested in...

Link to steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/)

From a google search, it looks like this has come up almost without fanfare.

It looks pretty good (as far as one can tell from trailers) and has a story campaign, and that's all that I really am interested in... (Especially since I was bemoaning Legacy of the Void might be the last RTS of its stripe I would get to play for a while...)

I'm tempted, on the basis that on Steam (if you don't already own it) you get a free copy of Homeworld Remastered if you pre-order (or a discount if you already have the latter). I bought but couldn't get on with the original homeworld - I suspect more because of the graphics than anything else - and despite the mixed reviews (depending on whether people were big fans of the original physics engine or not), Homeworld Remastered was on my "gonna probably get at some point). For £30 for what is essentially three games (Deserts of Kharrak, Homeworld 1 and 2 remastered - five if you want to count the original version of the latter pair), it seems like it is probably worth getting. (And Lichemaster knows how little I spent on games last year..!)

Anyone have any thoughts, heard more about it etc etc?

Rockphed
2016-01-18, 10:09 PM
I don't think my computer meets the minimum specs. Which makes me very sad as homeworld is one of my favorite games ever. I had forgotten about the digital release of homeworld and homeworld 2. Hmmm, 50 bucks to get all three? Might be worth it. I have a homeworld disk at home, but I never got homeworld 2.

The graphics of homeworld were a pretty nice step up from the games I remember playing before it, and they fit the game very nicely. However, they are very blocky and tend to do things like make your destroyers into triangles if you zoom out, which does not look good. The remastered game looks so very much nicer, though it still has the same charms. Mostly I expect it to look better when you are looking at the whole battle.

Sharoth
2016-01-18, 10:22 PM
I would get it if I had the spare $50 or so for it. But I don't have it right now.

Having said that, it sure looks pretty. And fun.

The Glyphstone
2016-01-18, 10:27 PM
I don't suppose that deal is reciprocal, is it? I bought Homeworld Remastered when it came out, do I get a free copy of Homeworld: DoK?

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-19, 05:14 AM
I don't suppose that deal is reciprocal, is it? I bought Homeworld Remastered when it came out, do I get a free copy of Homeworld: DoK?

No, but you do apparently get a 20% discount on Deserts of Karrash.

Vaz
2016-01-19, 09:08 AM
Saw it on Steam news when I loaded it up. Some people may recognise it as Shipbreakers which was intended as a tributary game to the Homeworld Franchise by BBI, but they weren't able to secure the IP during the big sell off of THQ/Relic IP's, but approached Gearbox who won the deal.

After Gearbox's handling of the Homeworld (initially - although the slow support following remastered release), I'm quite happy to see this in the hands BBI, who are fans of the game supposedly, especially with the statement that they will not be preventing modding of their game.

Bring on a Coomplex mod. I quite like the idea of the Carrier having and 'all power to the guns' type thing.

Preloaded it this morning. Hopefully play a bit of it tomorrow morning, or may have to wait until after work.

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-19, 09:57 AM
Welp, I figured "what the hey" and bought it. I can either say it's either a tenner for three games, or if the RTs is crap, I bought Homeworld remastered (which, I understand, is a perfectly acceptable game in its own right, just not quite the same as the original) and the RTS for four quid.)

Prob'ly won't touch it until the weekend, though (be interested in other people's initial impressions, though), as I'm currently working my way though Children of the Nile. (If ever they was a game designed to make you feel old, that is it...!)

Inarius
2016-01-20, 03:29 AM
After Gearbox's handling of the Homeworld (initially - although the slow support following remastered release), I'm quite happy to see this in the hands BBI, who are fans of the game supposedly, especially with the statement that they will not be preventing modding of their game.

Not just fans of the game, but some of the original team members who made Homeworld 1 and 2. The game looks fun and I picked it up, though with the other games I have on my plate right now I probably wont get around to it for a month or two.

Also I guess one of the things I always wondered about is confirmed, Higarans are "human". All the images of them before had always been ambiguous. They were definitely humanoid but the proportions seemed off somehow, but with the trailer showing them in full detail for the first time it settles that matter.

HandofShadows
2016-01-20, 06:17 AM
Looks like they have something extra for the people who preordered. The Homewold: Deserts of Kharak Expedition Guide

A few key points you might be interested in as a fan:

-Martin Cirulis is the writer. You may know him from the original Homeworld manual and Homeworld backstory

-Word count is roughly 30,000 (Your average mystery novel is 60,000 to 80,000)

-~25,000 of those words is new writing on the lore, backstory and Kiith history by Martin

-It also includes a profound amount of making of video, audio and visual content.

-This is retro-active if you have already pre-ordered, it also applies to those of you with Prospector's Guide keys.

https://youtu.be/qulqPto9iCc

Vaz
2016-01-20, 07:50 AM
Ye :) happy days. I like free stuff unexpectedly.

And 4 hours to go.

Inarius
2016-01-20, 07:48 PM
Looks like they have something extra for the people who preordered. The Homewold: Deserts of Kharak Expedition Guide

https://youtu.be/qulqPto9iCc

Thats welcome news, the homeworld 1 and cataclysm manuals were great because of all the lore they had in them. In comparison the homeworld 2 manual was sparse, though from what I understand its because the collectors edition was the version with the lore manual in it.

Rockphed
2016-01-20, 11:16 PM
Is there, perchance a demo available? I want this game, but I want to make sure my computer has the chops. Alternatively, I will just have to settle for getting homework remastered.

I always thought the angel moon was evidence of the kushan/higaarans being humans.

Vaz
2016-01-21, 06:57 AM
With Steam, you can purchase, play for up to 2 hours within a fortnight of purchase, and then choose to hand it back.

Complaints? Aside from it running very poorly even at low settings on my laptop (which is something that doesn't even struggle at Rome 2 despite sounding like a freight train, TF for noise canceling headphones) is the lack of variety at the moment, and the absolutely gash AI that as someome who rarely played any form of RTS (Homeworld 1+2, Kingdom Under Fire Gold/War of Heroes, Dawn of War 1, and Age of Empires 1 and 2 being about my experience with RTS's of any sort of play time, I don't think total war RTS counts as it is completely different) is able to beat the most difficult AI without even trying. Onle other thing os theblack of rebindable hotkeys.

The unit availability is rather low, too, but tbh, as a system based on Rock Paper Scissors AIRCRAFT! I don't really have too much of a problem with that. Especially with modding allowance (if not support, via Steam/Tools).

Although, how big are those Chainguns on the AAT's? Must be 30 calibre weapons at the least, and I don't mean .30 Cal either. Those shells must be a metre in size at least.

I like the story so far as well; obvsipusly spoilers;

The Confederation of Kiithin on Karash have located the Primary Anomaly which is basically the Hyperdrive which allows the Hiigarans to survive in space, but it is in Gaalsien territory, a race/faction which utilises Antigrav and presumably technology stolen from the artifact. Sandstorms are gradually encroaching across the world, and immense carriers, essentially moving towns on tracks, around 500m long with manufacturing facilities and a runway/ VSTOL launch and landing platform. Basically, think an Aircraft Carrier on wheels capable of building cruisers.

The first mission is a continuation of the tutorial, reinforcing teaching you the basics of the game, how to build, harvest, attack, while the second mission is an introduction to the sensor suite, which turns the otherwise true view battlefield from gods eye view to a more clinical, controllable icon based game play, removing distractions from sight. As you load up behind enemy lines as a result of a Mahoosive transport ship (this thing has around a 1500m wingspan), you are attacked by Gaalsien Forces, and recieve transmissions that the capital is under siege as well as several other bases being knocked out. Some friendly forces have managed to escape destruction, and after recommissioning some mothballed Asault Tanks to defend against the light strike vehicles, you must attempt to save what you can before using the cover of a CaT.5 Sandstorm, they leave thr 'Boneyard' and attempt to meet up with another carrier which managed to escape the other bases destruction.

As they progress they have to dip further intk Gaalsien territory, and come to a canyon, where they are ambushed by Gaalsien troops supported by a Cruiser. They discover another wrecked carrier, and Rachel S'jet recognises it as the one on which her brother served, but no signed of the crew. fending of waves of attackers while the artefact is extracted and other wrecks are salvaged, some Railgun direct fire artillery are found, and patched up, and then sent into combat, killing the cruiser just in time to avoid a pair of Gaalsien Carrier class vehicles, in an attempt to meet up with the surviving Confederation Carrier.

I'm liking it so far, and the power shunt ability is grand, although i'm finding that currently, splitting it equally between Turret and Missile is a fair cop. I can't wait to get mlre power and artefacts however.

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-23, 07:27 PM
Well, I spent about and hour-and-a-half reading the explorer's guide, and was into proper mission 3? I think (the Karash one) - and then found a game breaking bug where an enemy unit became unattackable and you need to kill all enemies to complete the mission.

Annoying, as that's pretty much ground out all progress (as from the sound of it, several people have gotten this problem).

Hiro Protagonest
2016-01-23, 08:40 PM
So from what I've seen, it's basically Homeworld without the 3D.

But it has a land-based aircraft carrier.

Also, you can't rebind the keys. At all.

It has a land-based aircraft carrier.

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-23, 09:08 PM
So from what I've seen, it's basically Homeworld without the 3D.

But it has a land-based aircraft carrier.

Also, you can't rebind the keys. At all.

It has a land-based aircraft carrier.

To be fair, s'difficult to have a navy on a virtually dry desert planet...!

Now, as I've said, I never really got into Homeworld the first time (and I don't know what the manual - since I don't think my version had a nonpdf one - was like), but I'm enjoying the story and the lore, such that I've seen thus far. (I mean, it may not be for people who are only interested in skirmnish or multiplayer, but as I don't care about either of those aspects in my RTS...) And as I understand it, the story and the lore were what contributed significantly to Homeworld's success so as far as I'm concerned, they appear to have got that bit right.

Also of note - there's so much CHATTER going on from your units and on the comm channels. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all. But I don't think Iever heard an RTS do something like that before. So even if you just sat collecting resources for ten mintes or whatever, it actually sounds like stuff is going on and feels alive. (I'm sure it'll start to repeat eventually, but I think it's a rather nice, novel touch.)

Inarius
2016-01-23, 09:53 PM
To be fair, s'difficult to have a navy on a virtually dry desert planet...!

Now, as I've said, I never really got into Homeworld the first time (and I don't know what the manual - since I don't think my version had a nonpdf one - was like), but I'm enjoying the story and the lore, such that I've seen thus far. (I mean, it may not be for people who are only interested in skirmnish or multiplayer, but as I don't care about either of those aspects in my RTS...) And as I understand it, the story and the lore were what contributed significantly to Homeworld's success so as far as I'm concerned, they appear to have got that bit right.

Also of note - there's so much CHATTER going on from your units and on the comm channels. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all. But I don't think Iever heard an RTS do something like that before. So even if you just sat collecting resources for ten mintes or whatever, it actually sounds like stuff is going on and feels alive. (I'm sure it'll start to repeat eventually, but I think it's a rather nice, novel touch.)

Yeah those have always been the strong suites of the homeworld games. They get the atmosphere really really right. From chatter to the music, the missions themselves really just make their presence felt. The added lore and storylines add that extra oomph that sort of sets homeworld apart from other RTS games. Not that other RTS games aren't good, but the feel of homeworld is unique imo.

Rockphed
2016-01-23, 11:12 PM
Yeah those have always been the strong suites of the homeworld games. They get the atmosphere really really right. From chatter to the music, the missions themselves really just make their presence felt. The added lore and storylines add that extra oomph that sort of sets homeworld apart from other RTS games. Not that other RTS games aren't good, but the feel of homeworld is unique imo.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/Rockphed/automotivator-2.jpg

Everything you thought you needed to know about Kharak was in the manual. Brief histories of a dozen clans as well as a detailed explanation about what the guidestone was, how it was found, and exactly how they knew to look for the Khar-toba were also included. This gave us a connection to the world so that names, like "Karan S'jet", mean something to us. I'm a little disappointed that they decided to have the voice of the land-carrier be another S'jet, but the S'jet have been an important and powerful Kith since they broke back on to the scene with gunpowder and railroads, so I cannot fault them too much.

And listening to chatter was one of my favourite things to do in Homeworld. Fighters would complain that they were out of fuel. Everybody would complain about being attacked. Resource collectors would discuss their drops.

Aotrs Commander
2016-01-31, 10:47 AM
Just finished the campaign. (It's 13 missions long, for the record.)

Took me 20 hours (plus the hour-fort-ish it took to read the explorer's guide.

Not bad at all! (Grey Goo, by comparison, I completed in 18 hours and cost effectively three times as much, because I didn't get two other games free with it.)

Chatter never really got old, since I was kinda too busy on the later missions!

Some observations: Gunships seemed entirely useless. I would have been better using the supply for fighters. The Kapisi power system was nice, but even in the final mission, there didn't seem like there was enough power to go around with the heat restrictions (mind you, I don't even know what the last two artefacts did, I ws kinda busy at the last strength there...!)

I'm going to hold off on going right on to HWRW, though, since they are getting very close to a major patch, which promises - among other things - to put back formations and the like. (It's taken a while, on the basis they've essentially had to rip out the old code and completely re-write it1.) So, I'mma wait for that.

1Which really goes to show what the likes of WB menas when they say "we can't fix this game" they mean "we could fix this game, but that would require too much time and money because we didn't do it properly the first time." I'm not interested in Arkham Knight or anything, but they fact they are still sellling and adding DLC to a game they know is essentially broken is simply awful. But enough about that.)

Inarius
2016-01-31, 08:11 PM
I'm going to hold off on going right on to HWRW, though, since they are getting very close to a major patch, which promises - among other things - to put back formations and the like. (It's taken a while, on the basis they've essentially had to rip out the old code and completely re-write it1.) So, I'mma wait for that.

Thats actually pretty good news, I'll probably wait until then to do my runthrough of the original homeworld. If I remember right the issue was caused by porting homeworld 1 into the homeworld 2 engine since homeworld 2 had fighter squadrons as opposed to individual fighters. I don't fault them for using the new engine like some people do, but its nice to know that they have went back and adjusted the game for it.

Rockphed
2016-01-31, 10:33 PM
Thats actually pretty good news, I'll probably wait until then to do my runthrough of the original homeworld. If I remember right the issue was caused by porting homeworld 1 into the homeworld 2 engine since homeworld 2 had fighter squadrons as opposed to individual fighters. I don't fault them for using the new engine like some people do, but its nice to know that they have went back and adjusted the game for it.

Having played through the Homeworld 2 demo and beaten the Homeworld campaign twice (the real slog is either mission ~7 when they decide to throw a series of mothership killers at your mothership almost faster than you can capture them or mission ~18 when you have a mission where you know where to go, but any attempt to get there either requires going really slow or accepting that you are going to lose ships), and the Homeworld 2 engine is much prettier. I'm glad to hear that they put formations back in properly. I think I once took out a formation of multi-gun corvettes with a similar sized formation of attack bombers by judicious use of formation and focused fire. Attack bombers hit nicely above their weight class against everything except other fighters.

Which brings me to an interesting question: In Homeworld, does anybody else think that the Taidan corvettes look silly compared to every other ship in the game?