PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Feats that give out-of-combt options

Elric VIII
2016-01-18, 10:50 PM
I'm playing a Magus in a relatively low-op group and I've pretty much got my combat options covered with a few feats and my class features (I don't want to nuke things too hard), and I find myself in the position of having extra feat slots. Rather than just taking skill focus a bunch of times, I'm looking for feats that add extra noncombat options. I don't really have anything specific in mind, so anything that you find interesting and wish to pass on would be appreciated.

Alex12
2016-01-19, 12:02 AM
I've had some good fun with the Orator feat, but that was on a Linguistics-focused build.

Psychic Sensitivity is fun if you've got the appropriate skills, and can get you all sorts of weird information.

Spell Mastery, while not technically legal for Magi, is specifically called out as something it would be reasonable for them to be able to get, the feat was just published when wizards were the only prepared casters that didn't have access to their entire list when preparing.

Depending on the campaign and the GM, Technologist could be hilarious.

avr
2016-01-19, 12:46 AM
Getting a familiar via Extra Arcana can be fun. Craft Wondrous Items to get obscure magic items likewise; both of these can be powerful, but depending on how you use them don't have to be.

If your Int is much higher than your cha, Skill Focus (Linguistics) and Orator might be useful to you. Additional Traits has a bunch of uses.

Elric VIII
2016-01-20, 12:59 AM
Orator seems like a really great feat. It's like trading 2 feats for 3 skills.

Serafina
2016-01-20, 04:16 AM
What, nothing on skill unlocks via the Signature Skill feat?
It has some interesting sidegrades - quite a few that focus more on combat, but also some that are useful out of combat.

Occult Skill Unlocks via Psychic Sensitivity are also pretty great. It even has some nice feats to expand it, such as Psychic Maestro or Third Eye.

If you're focussing on Linguistics, Xenoglossy is an interesting feat that allows you to communicate with anyone regardless of shared language, with a DC 25 check. It even has the added benefit of being incomprehensible to everyone around you.

Other than that:
Extra Arcana for Spell Blending. Nothing says that you can't grab a few nice Wizard utility spells that way.

Alex12
2016-01-21, 02:14 AM
Orator seems like a really great feat. It's like trading 2 feats for 3 skills.

Speaking from personal experience, it is completely possible to build an entire character around abusing Linguistics for fun and profit (lots of profit)

Spore
2016-01-21, 12:50 PM
[snip]

Seconding Craft Wondrous Item. How else would a Sorcerer believably get his Robe of Arcane Heritage?

"I just had this Crossblooded Draconic/Orc Bloodline Robe lying around. Oh, shock and awe, you ARE a sorcerer of said bloodline. How incredibly unlikely and yet - so convenient."