PDA

View Full Version : Any experience getting an iPhone 5whatever?

danzibr
2016-01-19, 08:39 AM
My iPhone 4 has served me very well these past 5ish years, but as you might suppose, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to spend the money on an iPhone 6.

Any experience getting an iPhone 5, 5c, 5s? Things to do, things not to do? I hear Wal*Mart has them on the cheap, good ol' Wal*Mart.

Flickerdart
2016-01-19, 02:54 PM
Don't bother with the 5C, and I would be shocked if you could still find a 5. The 5S is still fine, but be careful about updates - Apple is notorious for pushing system updates they know your phone can't handle, so that they can have their high adoption % and so you are forced to buy a new phone from them.

danzibr
2016-01-19, 03:34 PM
Don't bother with the 5C, and I would be shocked if you could still find a 5. The 5S is still fine, but be careful about updates - Apple is notorious for pushing system updates they know your phone can't handle, so that they can have their high adoption % and so you are forced to buy a new phone from them.
That's really helpful info, thanks. Really narrows down the search.

Flickerdart
2016-01-19, 03:57 PM
That's really helpful info, thanks. Really narrows down the search.
Another thing to consider - there are rumors that Apple will release a new 4-inch phone called perhaps an iPhone 5e (http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/11/iphone-5e-a8-1gb-ram-apple-pay-volte/). This phone will be their new entry-level model, replacing the 5S with a superior set of specs and support for new things like Apple Pay and 3D Touch.

Rumor has it that this will be announced soon and launched in February or March, so if your 4 is still kicking, I advise waiting and seeing whether there's any truth to this.

danzibr
2016-01-20, 07:01 AM
That's for that info, too.

What we (my wife and I) decided on was the following: 5S with more memory for $220. Unlocked, we'll use TextNow, which is a $20/month plan (per person), has unlimited talk and text, good data up to a certain amount, then throttled data after.

Chen
2016-01-20, 07:55 AM
That's for that info, too.

What we (my wife and I) decided on was the following: 5S with more memory for $220. Unlocked, we'll use TextNow, which is a $20/month plan (per person), has unlimited talk and text, good data up to a certain amount, then throttled data after.

$220 with no contract is a pretty good price for a 5s, especially with more memory (assuming 32GB). On contract it's absolutely terrible.

goto124
2016-01-20, 08:38 AM
Apple is notorious for pushing system updates they know your phone can't handle, so that they can have their high adoption % and so you are forced to buy a new phone from them.

Erm... ow.

danzibr
2016-01-20, 08:11 PM
$220 with no contract is a pretty good price for a 5s, especially with more memory (assuming 32GB). On contract it's absolutely terrible.
It's the cheapest new one I could find. And right, no contract.

Pluto!
2016-01-31, 10:09 PM
Scanning the forum, this thread title looked like "Any experience getting an iPhone Sweater?" -- which I would generally avoid due to the design fault of overheating during the summer months.