PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Slyth (Forgotten Realms)

M Placeholder
2016-01-19, 01:19 PM
Here is the Slyth from the FR sourcebook Underdark converted to 5e. Not sure about the shapechange form, so please let me know about balancing it out if needs be.

Slyth

Found in the Underdark, the slyth are a race that have powerful abilities to shapeshift into an amorphous form. There are two legends about their creation – one by Shar, and the other by Chauntea, and both describe how they were created from the shaping of a gelatinous cube into a humanoid form.

Slyths are often the guardians of the world below the surface of Toril, and they maintain amiable relations with many races. Tireless workers to the cause of preserving the Underdark, they consider it the calling of their kind to make sure it does not suffer from defilement.

Slyths are not a common race under the surface of Toril in general – the only area that they are common is the lower Underdark and this is where they make their permanent settlements. The slyths that live in other areas of the Underdark generally serve as guardians for one area.

Ability Score Increase – Your Dexterity increases by 1 and your Wisdom increases by 2
Size – Slyths stand between 5 and 7 foot tall and weigh in the region of 150 pounds. You are a medium creature.
Speed – your base speed is 30 feet, and when you are in amorphous form you have a swim speed of 30ft.
Age – Slyths live to over 120 years old, becoming adults at age 30.
Alternate Form – As an action, you are able to change into an amorphous form, and any objects, weapons, and equipment you are carrying and armour you are wearing becomes part of your new form. In this form, your AC is 10+Dexterity bonus. You cannot be stunned, and you cannot cast spells, manifest powers, or attack. In this form, you are nearly fluid and you can pass though narrow openings as small as 2 inches in diameter. You can assume your humanoid form as an action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
You can assume amorphous form for 10 minutes. Once that timeframe is over, you need to complete a long rest to use this feature again.
Amphibious – You can breathe air and water equally well.
Guardian of the Underdark – You have proficiency in Survival.
Sonic Defiance –You have resistance to Thunder damage
Languages – You can speak Common and Undercommon.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-19, 01:30 PM
It is pretty cool, maybe remove survival and add sonething that makes it little more for yhe fluff (unique feature), or a feature that makes it stronger but also sunlight sensitivity. There are no full round actions in 5e so you could just say standard.

M Placeholder
2016-01-19, 01:44 PM
In 3.5, Slyths had +4 to survival checks, and it was mentioned in the lore that their race were the custodians of the Underdark, so the survival fits. I changed some of the wording in the Alternate Form feature and made the resumption of humanoid form an action.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-19, 02:39 PM
OK; I feel like one really unique feature (so not prof. or res.) is maybe not enough but it isn't the only race so it is probably fine

Manitou
2020-01-03, 08:00 AM
Hmm, I remember liking the Slythe in 3.5.
So, I think you should give them the shapechanger type. it will make them immune to Charm/Dominate/Hold Person, and Polymorph.

Might make it 10 minutes per level divided into one minute increments.
Or try to make it scale with higher level in some fashion.
Maybe let it recharge on a short rest instead?

Yeah, I think that might work.

truemane
2020-01-03, 12:35 PM
Metamagic Mod: even the Slyth fear the dreaded Undead Thread.