PDA

View Full Version : The Orb that Durkula Broke

hymie
2016-01-19, 03:43 PM
I hate to ask what feels like a stupid question, but can somebody please remind me what the Orb was that Durkula had his minions steal and then destroy?

Deliverance
2016-01-19, 03:46 PM
I hate to ask what feels like a stupid question, but can somebody please remind me what the Orb was that Durkula had his minions steal and then destroy?

It is a teleport orb (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0987.html).

Kantaki
2016-01-19, 03:49 PM
The teleport orb that V bought to get the Order to Kragor’s Gate and that was stolen by Gontor.

Douglas
2016-01-19, 03:51 PM
And, apparently, smashing it is the way to activate it.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-01-19, 07:14 PM
Well, it is a single use item. Although I suppose Rich could've just shown the Orb crumbling as it's used instead.

Jasdoif
2016-01-19, 07:24 PM
Well, it is a single use item. Although I suppose Rich could've just shown the Orb crumbling as it's used instead.If nothing else, its use-activated nature is quite unambiguous this way.

Mandor
2016-01-19, 09:21 PM
If nothing else, its use-activated nature is quite unambiguous this way.

Though really, there should have been a ninja-like smokepuff that obscured all of them as soon as the orb was smashed. For style points.
But I suppose that would have to have reversed Durkula's parting remark to Roy and the smashing of the orb / counterspell.

littlebum2002
2016-01-20, 08:55 AM
It is a teleport orb (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0987.html).

And, apparently, smashing it is the way to activate it.

Which I'm totally going to remember, next time a game I'm campaigning uses a single-use item.

Trixie
2016-01-20, 11:33 AM
If nothing else, its use-activated nature is quite unambiguous this way.

But also makes it much less convenient to use. Imagine: orb, being smooth glass ball, slips out of your hand, shatters, and you find yourself on the other continent at worst possible moment, or, if you can stop the spell, minus one quite expensive magic object :smalltongue:

goodpeople25
2016-01-20, 11:49 AM
But also makes it much less convenient to use. Imagine: orb, being smooth glass ball, slips out of your hand, shatters, and you find yourself on the other continent at worst possible moment, or, if you can stop the spell, minus one quite expensive magic object :smalltongue:
While accidental activation could be a thing, (though given it needs to target somehow you might get to think about where to go after it breaks). how would the other part be any different if the orb was activated differently? That's seems to be part of being an orb. Now you could say other orbs would be more sturdy due to not having to break on purpose, But then again who says the Teleport orb isn't just as sturdy and only breaks easily when you activate it.

Jasdoif
2016-01-20, 01:07 PM
But also makes it much less convenient to use. Imagine: orb, being smooth glass ball, slips out of your hand, shatters, and you find yourself on the other continent at worst possible moment, or, if you can stop the spell, minus one quite expensive magic object :smalltongue:I guessed the creator was trying to wrangle cost discounts.

littlebum2002
2016-01-20, 03:12 PM

This:

While accidental activation could be a thing, (though given it needs to target somehow you might get to think about where to go after it breaks). how would the other part be any different if the orb was activated differently? That's seems to be part of being an orb. Now you could say other orbs would be more sturdy due to not having to break on purpose, But then again who says the Teleport orb isn't just as sturdy and only breaks easily when you activate it.

If the orb is going to break when you drop it, it's going to break when you drop it. This is regardless of whether breaking the orb activates it. It's a magic orb, it's entirely within reason that it could be made only to break when it is activated, and not when accidentally dropped on the ground.

goodpeople25
2016-01-20, 03:34 PM
This
If the orb is going to break when you drop it, it's going to break when you drop it. This is regardless of whether breaking the orb activates it. It's a magic orb, it's entirely within reason that it could be made only to break when it is activated, and not when accidentally dropped on the ground.
Okay your point? I said right there that magic orbs could possibly only break when droped when it is activated (or it could break when attacked but i think thats different). I guess you mean why activate it by droping it? Why not? And it showcases the one use quality better this way imo.

littlebum2002
2016-01-20, 04:00 PM
Okay your point? I said right there that magic orbs could possibly only break when droped when it is activated (or it could break when attacked but i think thats different). I guess you mean why activate it by droping it? Why not? And it showcases the one use quality better this way imo.

I was agreeing with you

goodpeople25
2016-01-20, 05:39 PM
I was agreeing with you
Oh god sorry:smalleek:, I misread the "This" thought it referred to the other post. and it caused me to completely misread the rest. Sorry :smallredface: well that explains why the post made little sense. Was a bit baffled tbh.