PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Inventions

DrBloodbathMC
2016-01-19, 07:24 PM
I'm about to start an e6 campaign and I cleared it with my DM to basically create the DaVinci of the campaign, using engineering skills (Knowledge and Craft) to design and build inventions, preferably ones that replace magical effects. The only problem is I can't think of many ideas, I already have a design for a parachute (In game calling it the feather-pack) that replicates feather fall, and I want to take DaVinci's helicopter, do you guys have any other ideas I could do?

John Longarrow
2016-01-19, 07:39 PM
Do some historical research for what was really built from antiquity through the 1600's and see what can be ported. Burning hands = Greek Fire dispenser. Course the historic weapon had a much greater range.

Down side is most spells in D&D are not easily replicated by pre-industrial technology. Up side is what could be replicated often was, with technology having an edge.

ATHATH
2016-01-19, 07:41 PM
There's a Gnome Artificer Variant or something that allows you to make non-magical items that duplicate spells. It's generally regarded as terrible, though, because the items that it creates cost twice as much as normal magical items, and they have chances for mishaps on top of that.

Blackhawk748
2016-01-19, 07:57 PM
Ravenloft:Legacy of Blood (im pretty sure thats the book) has Devices, which are basically Wondrous Items that produce magical style effects, but are Ex.

DrBloodbathMC
2016-01-19, 08:06 PM
Blackhawk748 you are right, that is the book, and I have to say it looks amazing, if this wasn't an e6 I'd want to go Scientist class. This is a bunch of help, thanks everyone!

Nando
2016-01-19, 08:28 PM
3.0 has the Gnome Artificer in FR Magic of Faerun pp. 23-26...seems to mostly be usefull for ideas on spells that could be replicated as a non-magical effect (fog spells, acid and fire stuff, glitterdust, shatter...).

Jeff the Green
2016-01-19, 09:02 PM
Check out my Inspired Inventor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?273831-PrC-Mechas-and-flamethrowers-Artificer-Factotum-theurge-(WIP-PEACH)&p=14803127#post14803127). You can't use the class in E6 (it requires Factotum 1/Artificer 5 at a minimum), but you could poach the inventions.

Alex12
2016-01-19, 10:07 PM
Coming at things the other way, take a look at some of, for example, Leonardo da Vinci's designs (http://www.da-vinci-inventions.com/davinci-inventions.aspx).

A self-steering cart that powered itself, a robot knight, several flavors of cannon and siege weapons, armored vehicles, scuba gear, and so forth.

I mean, seriously, a robot knight. With a little tweaking and some applications of early steam technology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_steam_power), you've practically got yourself an iron golem.

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-20, 01:41 AM
Steampunk zombies replacing animate dead? Giant backpacks full of chemical concoctions.

Exo suits that increase AC and strength.

Armor that instantly dons itself when you push the big red button on your straps.

Inspector gadget arms for mage hand.