PDA

View Full Version : Question About Copyright

ATHATH
2016-01-19, 09:14 PM
Can I post a picture of a section of a Dragon Magazine here without getting in trouble, or is that considered piracy?

Jeff the Green
2016-01-19, 09:30 PM
Can I post a picture of a section of a Dragon Magazine here without getting in trouble, or is that considered piracy?

It might not be copyright infringement (fair use, depending on the page and intent) but it's definitely against forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

Psyren
2016-01-20, 09:01 AM
If you can find that picture online you could probably just link to it rather than scanning it yourself?

MisterKaws
2016-01-20, 09:46 AM
If you can find that picture online you could probably just link to it rather than scanning it yourself?

Still illegal unless the page containing it has permission.

Though you could quote a section of the magazine if you just want to talk about something related to it, that's not against any rule or law as far as I know.

Roland St. Jude
2016-01-20, 01:04 PM
Sheriff: As noted above, don't do that. Try just mentioning the issue # and article title and let people with access to the source discuss it with you. Or describe it with sufficient detail that anyone can participate. If some few words are particularly relevant, you could quote those to ask about them.

Also, please: 1) don't ask for legal advice on this forum, even when it's gaming-related and 2) ask for Forum Rules questions in the Board Issues section of the forum.