PDA

View Full Version : The UA scout archetype

djreynolds
2016-01-20, 03:24 AM
This archetype is awesome. You get precision, extra skills. The only thing missing is stuff like trip, and disarm. But I can live with that.

This is a spell less ranger.

Gwendol
2016-01-20, 03:34 AM
How come trip is missing, or disarm for that matter? You can still do those as a contest, replacing an attack. Just not a maneuver.

But yes, the scout is really good, and since it builds on the fighter chassi you can still pick up the martial adept feat and add some more maneuvers (and superiority die).

djreynolds
2016-01-20, 04:10 AM
But yes, the scout is really good, and since it builds on the fighter chassi you can still pick up the martial adept feat and add some more maneuvers (and superiority die).

Right. 7 feats to use up

Arkhios
2016-01-20, 06:51 AM
Isn't the alternative attack option to Shove a creature technically the same as bull rush and trip combined into one mechanic?

Quasikaze
2016-01-20, 06:55 AM
Isn't the alternative attack option to Shove a creature technically the same as bull rush and trip combined into one mechanic?

It is, but that's what Gwendol was saying

You can still do those as a contest, replacing an attack. Just not a maneuver.

djreynolds
2016-01-20, 07:09 AM
I'm just excited about this class. For those players who abhor magic, this is the woodsman.

Theodoxus
2016-01-20, 07:52 AM
Because Goodberry, Hunter's Mark and Longstrider are so horrible :smallwink:

I really like Hunter, more than Scout - I think it has the best flavor for Ranger of anything I've seen yet. I get WotC wanted multiple archetypes, but I think if they'd sent Ranger up without Beastmaster, there'd be a lot less contention over the class. There should have been a "Find Animal Companion" spell built on the chassis of Find Steed - Ranger only (or perhaps Druid as well - to bring back the flavor of the druid companion).

Everything they've done to correct the Ranger has just muddied the waters, and specifically the Hunter archetype.

Greenfeuer
2016-01-20, 08:29 AM
Where can I find this new archtype?

Theodoxus
2016-01-20, 08:48 AM
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf

Greenfeuer
2016-01-20, 09:00 AM
That isn't a ranger archtype?

Gwendol
2016-01-20, 09:08 AM
No, it's a fighter.

djreynolds
2016-01-21, 01:18 AM
Awesome, no spells, no silliness. Your extra skills, and Superiority dice and natural explorer really makes you feel like the master of a certain terrain. Another class can come close, and only some crazy multiclass build can match you.

I like the superiority dice used for offense and defense and exploration.