PDA

View Full Version : Shield Master variant - optional benefits

Arkhios
2016-01-20, 03:49 AM
So I came up with this optional change to the Sield Master feat (thanks to MaxWilson at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20320710&postcount=4) thread)

Shield Master
You can use shields not just for protection but also for offense. Once you gain this feat, choose three of the following benefits to gain while you are wielding a shield:

1) If you take an action on your turn, you can as bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield
2) If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.
3) If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.
4) If you are proficient with improvised weapons, you can throw your shield up to a range of 20/60 feet. Additionally, you can don or remove a shield as a free action as part of your Move or Action, once per turn.

What do you think?

RakiReborn
2016-01-20, 04:35 AM
As far a I see, the only difference is the last point. I would personally like it more if you get proficient in throwing the shield as you take that option from the feat. The don/doff as a free action seems unhandy, as drawing a weapon in the same turn uses that part (interact with object). Making it a bonus action makes you able to grab your shield and sword, and frees your action to do something in that turn.

Arkhios
2016-01-22, 03:27 AM
The don/doff as a free action seems unhandy, as drawing a weapon in the same turn uses that part (interact with object). Making it a bonus action makes you able to grab your shield and sword, and frees your action to do something in that turn.

But that's the whole point of it. Being able to don/doff your shield as with interacting with an object makes you consider carefully whether you want to use your shield or your weapon primarily. To me, I think a person who chose to specialize in being a Shield Master, he's obviously choosing the shield over weapon in that regard. As it is, the feat lets you do things with your shield, instead of just hanging there to deflect blows somewhere in the future.

But, I guess I might just as well make this whole thing as its own feat altogether. I suppose throwing a shield is not something one with defensive inclinations towards shield-use would want from being effective with a shield in hand.