Int 14 (+2) Wis 17 (+3) Cha 20 (+5)
Saves: Strength+7, Constitution+7, Intellect+6, Charisma+9
Skills: Any skills the DM feels appropriate
Damage Immunities: fire
Damage Resistance: cold, damage from nonmagical weapons
Senses: Passive Perception 17, darkvision 60 feet
Languages: Any number of languages that the DM feels appropriate
Challenge Rating: 12 (8400 XP)
Magic Resistance. The pyromancer has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects
Metamagic. The pyromancer has 20 Sorcery Points. When the pyromancer casts a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, he can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell. Or, when the pyromancer casts a spell that targets only one creature and doesn't have a range of self, he can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip). He can use only one of these effects on one spell.
Master Pyromancy. The pyromancer does not need to concentrate on its “Investiture of Flame” for the spell to maintain its effects. When the pyromancer casts a spell, he can make the spell ignore resistance and immunity to fire damage by spending 1 sorcery point per affecting creature with fire resistance or immunity.
Magic Item. The pyromancer wields a “Wand of Fireballs” (DMG page 210) attuned to himself.
Spellcasting. The pyromancer is a 16th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The pyromancer has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): fire bolt (3d10 damage), light, mage hand, prestidigitation
1st level (4 slots*): shield, burning hands, mage armor (already activated)
2nd level (3 slots*): mirror image (already activated), misty step, scorching ray
3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, fireball, haste
4th level (4 slots): banishment, fire shield, wall of fire
5th level (2 slots): Immolation**
6th level (0 slots*): Investiture of flame** (already activated)
7th level (1 slot): Firestorm
*Indicates number of slots left for the encounter
**Elemental Evil Spells

Actions
Cast Spell. The pyromancer casts 1 spell.
Use Wand. The pyromancer uses his “Wand of Fireballs”.
Summon Mephits. (Recharge 5-6) The pyromancer summons 1d4+1 Magma Mephits under his command. The Magma Mephits’ initiative order is treated as the same as the pyromancer, and they move directly after the pyromancer.

Reactions.
Magic Circle of Blood. When the High Pyromancer’s HP cut 60, or when the High Pyromancer with under 60 HP takes damage, immediately and as a reaction, the pyromancer activates an advanced magical procedure known as Blood Magic. The pyromancer’s splattered blood gather midair or on-ground into a complex magical circle, channeling the powers coursing through the pyromancer’s veins into a powerful outburst of pure magical force. The pyromancer casts “Fireball” as a 9th-level spell. The pyromancer can use this ability only once per long rest.

Defeating the pyromancer nets your party the Wand of Fireballs.
Comments and constructive critisism greatly appreciated.

SilverStud
2016-01-24, 10:38 PM
This guy looks like a sweet boss! I like how he has the Blood-circle fireball. It'll catch parties off guard and probably take someone out. It helps make him more of a threat, since his health is low for the CR. I might just use him in my campaign....

Thanks for this. Stat blocks like this are hard for me to make.

Gastronomie
2016-01-25, 12:22 AM
Thanks!

Well, I made the HP low 'cause I supposed he had pretty strong spells. And he could be used along with bodyguards anyways, depending on how difficult you want the encounter to be.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-25, 09:47 AM
This is pretty cool. You could say most pyromancers have certain skills and languages as ignan but DM may replace it.

10 times disadvantage is boring. Maybe one option more and less points, seriously no enemy is lasting 10 rounds (bosses can but every round a nova option ?).

Still nice work :D

Gastronomie
2016-01-25, 05:04 PM
True - thanks. Edited a bit.

Well, the original idea had Quickened as well, but I decided it was overpowered and erased it. Gave it Twinned instead. How's this?

SilverStud
2016-01-26, 02:37 AM
I'm liking the added Twinning. It makes that nuke at half health even more insane.
My players won't know what hit them.
MUAHAHAHAHA!

Gastronomie
2016-01-26, 05:33 AM
Well actually, Twinned Spell doesn't work on Fireball which is a range spell (doesn't target). It works with Haste, Banishment and Immolation, though.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-26, 10:58 AM
True - thanks. Edited a bit.

Well, the original idea had Quickened as well, but I decided it was overpowered and erased it. Gave it Twinned instead. How's this?

Very cool, and also balanced. The nice of monsters is you have to worry less of balance. You could always say one CR higher but now it is perfect for CR 12

I don't see how this Boss has 16 AC, giving mage armor as a first level spell (and burning hands, fits fluff and now just shield) would make this correct

Gastronomie
2016-01-26, 05:22 PM
Thanks - well, I originally didn't add them simply because I felt they were "unneeded information". Mage Armor is already activated when the confrontation begins. Chances he'd actually use Burning Hands are quite low, given how he has a Wand of Fireballs, so.

I'll add Mage Armor, but not Burning Hands for now.

SilverStud
2016-01-26, 05:23 PM
Well actually, Twinned Spell doesn't work on Fireball which is a range spell (doesn't target). It works with Haste, Banishment and Immolation, though.

*facepalm* and I call myself a DM...

jkat718
2016-01-27, 11:41 AM
Thanks - well, I originally didn't add them simply because I felt they were "unneeded information". Mage Armor is already activated when the confrontation begins. Chances he'd actually use Burning Hands are quite low, given how he has a Wand of Fireballs, so.

When writing statblocks, I'd recommend including everything, even if you don't think it'll come up. After all, "no encounter ever survives contact with the PCs." :smalltongue: What happens if the wand is disarmed? What happens if/when the wand runs out of charges?

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-27, 12:08 PM

Sounds good, I just suggested burning hands because I thought one first level spell is even for a sorta sorcerer low but there isn't a problem with it.

Gastronomie
2016-01-27, 04:58 PM
Well, I suppose that's true. Added Burning Hands just in case.