PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking monster that are dangerous to kill...

NevinPL
2016-01-20, 07:22 AM
...because they "asplode", or something, like the infamous Gas Spore.
Not from MM I, not the "Destruction Retribution" feat, not the "favorite pet of a 20 Wiz/20 Clr/20 Drd"\god, or "respawn and hold a grudge" variety.

Feddlefew
2016-01-20, 07:25 AM
Balors explode (and take their equipment with them), but might be above the CR you're looking for.

NevinPL
2016-01-20, 07:29 AM
Balors explode (and take their equipment with them), but might be above the CR you're looking for.

Not from MM I...
2. I'm not looking for any particular CR, but the lower the better - I can "tune them up" as I see fit.

Feddlefew
2016-01-20, 07:37 AM
Ah, sorry, I missed that.

I think the original Gas Spore is in Lords of Madness, which, if I remember correctly, also has mini-beholders.

nedz
2016-01-20, 07:37 AM
Take a Balor and de-tune it. Also swap Fire for some other element maybe ?

Khedrac
2016-01-20, 07:43 AM
Not one that explodes, but there's a pretty low CR demon that has an aura that reflects damage it takes to all non-demons in range.
Unfortunately I am afb right now but perhaps someone else can remember what it is called.

Edit - I think there is also an undead from LM which releases swarms on death...

NevinPL
2016-01-20, 08:12 AM
[...]
No, original is in a book far older than that. But you're right - LoM has a lot of beholderkin, but I don't think any of them explodes on death.

[...]
Not really what I'm looking for.

[...]
LM has the Swarm-Shifter template, but it changes into swarms, not expels one after destruction. Maybe you're thinking about the Web Mummy from MM IV ?

Vaz
2016-01-20, 08:22 AM
I think.the Jovoc.is one.from the Fiendosh Codex. I think the first one.

Feddlefew
2016-01-20, 08:40 AM
I believe the Gas Spore was ported to 3.5 in the Lords of Madness book, even if the origenal is from AD&D (I think).

Maybe take a large zombie (like, say, an ogre) and fill it with tiny or small creatures? Or have it explode into a swarm after it's killed, covering everything in a 20ft radius in angry, poisonous spiders/centipedes/whatever that get one attack before they condense into 1d4-1 (min 1) separate swarms?

Hamste
2016-01-20, 10:42 AM
Final Strike from Savage Species? There are a few spells that do it but you don't want those?

Someone also listed several creatures with built in death throws here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19692857&postcount=15

Darrin
2016-01-20, 11:16 AM
Creatures with Death Throes:

Balor (MMI)
Frost Wyrm (MMI)
Chraal (MMIII)
Conflagration Ooze (MMIII, variant)
Phoelarch (MMIII)
Fang Golem (MMIV)
Ember Guard (MMV)
Fetid Fungus (MMV)
Magmacore Golem (MMV)
Bladerager Troll (MMV)
Greater Flame Snake (FF)
Ocularon (FF)
Lesser Varrangoin (FF)
Dunewinder (Sandstorm)

ComaVision
2016-01-20, 01:11 PM
Not one that explodes, but there's a pretty low CR demon that has an aura that reflects damage it takes to all non-demons in range.
Unfortunately I am afb right now but perhaps someone else can remember what it is called.

I'd be really interested to hear what this is.

Red Fel
2016-01-20, 01:56 PM
What about the Draconians from Dragonlance? Race of draconic humanoids that do something nasty when you kill them, from turning into a pool of acid to exploding, depending on the Dragon on which they're based.

Khedrac
2016-01-20, 01:56 PM
I'd be really interested to hear what this is.
Vaz almost nailed it - it's the Jovoc from Monster Manual II - and it is only CR5...

ATHATH
2016-01-20, 01:59 PM
There was an alchemical golem in a DM that I recently read. I could find it, if you want.

Vaz
2016-01-20, 02:01 PM
Almost nailed the typing too... Wow. Even for phone typing that's bad. Thanks for the clarification *Thumbs*

Flickerdart
2016-01-20, 03:02 PM
Undead created by a necromancer with Destruction Retribution explode in a burst of negative energy when destroyed, which heals their buddies and damages their enemies.

Hamste
2016-01-20, 03:21 PM
Undead created by a necromancer with Destruction Retribution explode in a burst of negative energy when destroyed, which heals their buddies and damages their enemies.

That was one of the listed options they said they already knew about in the op. That was going to be my immediate response as well.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-20, 03:23 PM
Thoon Thralls (MMV) explode after a while - 3d6 fire damage, plus bonus damage if there are others close by. CR 3 only.

ksbsnowowl
2016-01-20, 10:00 PM
In addition to Thoon thralls, the CR 8 Thoon Soldiers can also explode when they are destroyed.

Dark Ones in the Tome of Horrors (not the FF) explode when they die.

Any creature with an elemental subtype that takes the Final Strike feat from Savage Species.

If you are looking for something other than exploding, then Linnorms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/linnorm) from Pathfinder put a curse on the creature striking the killing blow.

The Hivenest Monster template from Dungeonscape can infest an undead with a swarm that will emerge after the undead is killed.

ComaVision
2016-01-21, 01:53 PM
Vaz almost nailed it - it's the Jovoc from Monster Manual II - and it is only CR5...

Let's see if the ubercharger in my game still wants to Great Cleave everything :smallamused:

The Viscount
2016-01-21, 04:24 PM
I believe the Gas Spore was ported to 3.5 in the Lords of Madness book, even if the origenal is from AD&D (I think).

Maybe take a large zombie (like, say, an ogre) and fill it with tiny or small creatures? Or have it explode into a swarm after it's killed, covering everything in a 20ft radius in angry, poisonous spiders/centipedes/whatever that get one attack before they condense into 1d4-1 (min 1) separate swarms?
This is pretty much the hivenest template, in which you cram any diminutive or fine vermin swarm into any Large+ construct, undead, or plant, weirdly enough. It's in dungeonscape

Edit - I think there is also an undead from LM which releases swarms on death...
Might you be thinking of Plague Spewer from MMIII?

There was an alchemical golem in a DM that I recently read. I could find it, if you want.

The Alchemical Golem is from MMIII, it incurs some nasty penalties for hitting it.

The Bloodstriker from MMIII doesn't do anything on death, but you take 2d6 damage from spikes and 1d6 acid from blood any time you hit it.

Killing a Plague Walker does bad things to you.

vorpalvolta
2016-01-21, 06:34 PM
If youre going to tune it up why not just add death throes to any creature you feel like

PraxisVetli
2016-01-21, 06:35 PM
Necrosis Carnex from MMIII? Explodes in a necromantic burst upon death. Make good shock troopers.CR 3-5, can't remember and away from books at the moment.

The Viscount
2016-01-21, 09:43 PM
Necrosis Carnex from MMIII? Explodes in a necromantic burst upon death. Make good shock troopers.CR 3-5, can't remember and away from books at the moment.

Very close, they're from MMIV.

Also a useful one is Manes from FCI. They create a small cloud of acid when they die, but because they're such a low CR you can cram a bunch of them in a single encounter.

Khedrac
2016-01-22, 07:14 AM

Let's see if the ubercharger in my game still wants to Great Cleave everything :smallamused:
Oddly enough an ubercharger is not a bad way to deal with Jovocs - usually they have left the rest of the party behind when they charge.
The way that really hurts the party is when multiple members of the party are in range of the aura - so damaging one monster for 10 (say) damages all four PCs for 5/10 depending on saves.

So - have the ubercharger charge out in front and smash something, then the jovoc(s) pop up in the middle of the rest of the party. New combat so new initiative. If the ubercharger wins and charges back into the party to hit it then the fun begins.

Bonus points if someone cast delay death on the jovoc first - it can take a lot more damage to reflect out then...

NevinPL
2016-01-22, 11:29 AM
Thank you for replies.

[...]

[...]
They say: "ported" not: "original".
No, larger than medium are no good.
Spawning is good, although I like exploding better.

[...]
Final Strike is nice, but has that subtype prerequisite, and I have troubles with ideas how to add some subtypes, like acid for example (no Acidborn, doesn't).
Come to think of it, I don't really recall any monster with acid subtype. Nor do I see a option for it in "monster search engines"...
Spells would need to be no higher than 5th level, and permanent, so not much there.
List with death throws, and other ideas in that thread, are nice. Although for what I have in mind, only Fetid Fungus works. Sort of.

[...]
Ditto.

[...]
Don't have anything from Dragonlance setting.

[...]
This thread is a "follow up" to this one:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441291-Looking-for-templates-monsters-for-a-quot-mad-scientist-quot
so I know about alchemical golem, an similar.

[...]
This:

That was one of the listed options they said they already knew about in the op.

[...]
Not really what I'm looking for. But some Thoon's have that nice "classic Phyrexia" felling, so I'll probably use them somewhere.

[...]
No PF.
Rest as earlier mentioned.

[...]
Plague Walker is a nice find, although not quite what I have in mind.

[...]
Because verisimilitude.

[...]
Exploding undead are good, but as a result of accident (like Alchemical undead from Dragon #350), not deliberate design.

[...]
After some reflavoring, Mane will work nicely.