PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I saw a .gif and want to make it happen with my character

Skygrassface
2016-01-20, 04:14 PM
I saw this .gif yesterday. https://youtu.be/NZ7FLc0IXqA?t=76

I have a boxer style character that deals huge damage with fists for a CL 4 and he's just going to hit harder at later levels..

I saw this video and thought of how cool it would be for him to be able to do this somehow.

is there some kind of feat, ability, pact, item, etc. that can do this?

Thanks.

Chronos
2016-01-20, 04:21 PM
Are you looking for something less obvious than the Blur spell?

Alternately, nearly anything else which provides concealment could also produce the same effect.

Skygrassface
2016-01-20, 04:35 PM
Are you looking for something less obvious than the Blur spell?

Alternately, nearly anything else which provides concealment could also produce the same effect.

We don't have any spellcasters in the party to cast it, unfortunately.
I'm thinking more of a literal way to turn into smoke/dust if possible.

Malroth
2016-01-20, 04:53 PM
Deception Mantle Ardent 1 and Practiced Manifester

Skygrassface
2016-01-20, 05:08 PM
Deception Mantle Ardent 1 and Practiced Manifester

I've never even heard of those, what are they?

Invader
2016-01-20, 05:10 PM
Smoking weapon enhancement.

geekintheground
2016-01-20, 05:18 PM
well, im assuming you already started the game so dustform template is out. no casters? thats gonna be rough... next time you go shopping buy an item of blur?

Malroth
2016-01-20, 05:19 PM
Ardent Is somewhat like a Domain Psion and is unique in that it can learn powers based on Manafester Level instead of Class level so with "Practiced Manifester" can Learn 3rd level powers like a 5th lv psion could from one of it's domain like equivalents called Mantles. With The Deception Mantle you'd have the granted power to expend your Psionic Focus for a 50% miss chance for 1 round which would be reusable in essentially every fight and you could take Concealing Amorpha as your first power known which would provide 20% concealment for 1 min/level which would also benefit from Practiced Manafester

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-20, 06:06 PM
Strong heart halfling Monk 2/Fighter 2.

Level 1: Halfling substitution level monk (ROW p. 158) feats: Sand Dancer (SSt p.52), UAS (bonus), Combat Expertise, skirmish +1d6

Level 2: Hin Disciple substitution level invisible fist (EoE p.21) monk (CoV web): Improved trip, 1 time every three rounds, use immediate action to turn invisible for 1 round.

Level 3: Skilled city Dweller (ride for tumble) Hit and Run (DotU) Fighter 1: Sandsnare (SSt p.52), Combat reflexes, Add dex to damage if opponent flat footed.

Level 4: Fighter 2: midnight dodge (MOI)

At level 6, consider einhander (PHB2), deceptive dodge (Dr Comp), and sandspinner (SSt) feats. Circle kick and snap kick should be on the short list of feats that you want.

If you get flaws, we can make this work pretty well. After level 4, you have a choice of taking mobility and going scout or picking up initiator levels.

Round 1, Use a sandblaster (MM3 p.58) Spreads sand in a 10' cone, 1d8 damage reflex save for half damage. Creatures that fail their saves are tormented by itching skin and burning eyes, imposing a –4 penalty to AC and a –2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. (Probably 10 + 1/2HD + Con) A sandblaster uses 5 pounds of sand as ammunition, and packing a sand blaster with one charge of ammunition is a full-round action. A sand blaster costs 30gp. It's an area affect, no attack roll necessary, so it doesn't matter if you're not proficient. Drop it.

Round 2: turn invisible, trip attack, follow up attack, tumble at least 10 around in your sand stain. Opponent must use full action to get up, is likely blinded. They may have -2 to attacks. If they try to get up, combat reflex them.

Round 3. Tumble again, blinding again by kicking up dust, activate skirmish, trip, follow up attack.

--------

Alternatively, turn invisible on turns that your opponent is not blinded, pick up your sandblaster and reload it.

Skygrassface
2016-01-20, 09:16 PM
Strong heart halfling Monk 2/Fighter 2.

Level 1: Halfling substitution level monk (ROW p. 158) feats: Sand Dancer (SSt p.52), UAS (bonus), Combat Expertise, skirmish +1d6

Level 2: Hin Disciple substitution level invisible fist (EoE p.21) monk (CoV web): Improved trip, 1 time every three rounds, use immediate action to turn invisible for 1 round.

Level 3: Skilled city Dweller (ride for tumble) Hit and Run (DotU) Fighter 1: Sandsnare (SSt p.52), Combat reflexes, Add dex to damage if opponent flat footed.

Level 4: Fighter 2: midnight dodge (MOI)

At level 6, consider einhander (PHB2), deceptive dodge (Dr Comp), and sandspinner (SSt) feats. Circle kick and snap kick should be on the short list of feats that you want.

If you get flaws, we can make this work pretty well. After level 4, you have a choice of taking mobility and going scout or picking up initiator levels.

Round 1, Use a sandblaster (MM3 p.58) Spreads sand in a 10' cone, 1d8 damage reflex save for half damage. Creatures that fail their saves are tormented by itching skin and burning eyes, imposing a –4 penalty to AC and a –2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. (Probably 10 + 1/2HD + Con) A sandblaster uses 5 pounds of sand as ammunition, and packing a sand blaster with one charge of ammunition is a full-round action. A sand blaster costs 30gp. It's an area affect, no attack roll necessary, so it doesn't matter if you're not proficient. Drop it.

Round 2: turn invisible, trip attack, follow up attack, tumble at least 10 around in your sand stain. Opponent must use full action to get up, is likely blinded. They may have -2 to attacks. If they try to get up, combat reflex them.

Round 3. Tumble again, blinding again by kicking up dust, activate skirmish, trip, follow up attack.

--------

Alternatively, turn invisible on turns that your opponent is not blinded, pick up your sandblaster and reload it.

The Problem is that he's already level ECL 4 and taking levels in Crusader/monk. Not sure if he can stack to many more options on there. DM is pretty cool though and makes homebrew all the time for people.

Recurver
2016-02-16, 10:57 AM
I recommend the armor enhancement "etherealness" from the SRD. you can become ethereal once a day for as long as you want. then all you need are ghost touch fist wraps/ gauntlets to be able to hit non ethereal opponents. it's very pricey though. i recomend the cheaper route of silver mist mithral item. you'd get that smoke look you want that way.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-16, 10:33 PM
If you've got a feat to spare you could pick up MoI's shape soulmeld (fellmist robe) and get concealment from anything ten feet away or further.

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-18, 01:58 PM
A smoking spiked gauntlet on a dust genasi? That'd be sweet.