PDA

View Full Version : Bestest Ever Spell Combos

PlatinumJester
2007-06-14, 01:21 PM
#1 Weapon Shift (to fullblade) + Backbighter + Sonic Weapon (all SC)
#2 Anti Dragon Aura + Shivering Aura = no more dragon
#3 Tensers Floating Disk Greater + Baleful Transportation + dispel magic
Fly using the disk, then use then use baleful transportation, then dispel magic. Over a 400ft ravine though.
#4 Charm Person + Disguise Self = change into someone you hate, then enter the wizards magic shop when he has left it in the hands of the incompetent assisstant. The use charm person on him and ask if you can borrow some scrolls but you will return them within the hour (which you don't)
#5 Mage Hand Greater + any weapon. Pick up the weapon with mage hand and then stab the bad guy in the back when he's not paying attention.

Anyone gotany other good spell combos (including divine spells)

Swamp0808
2007-06-14, 01:24 PM
#6 Assay spell resistance + spell vulnerability - versus those pesky foes with SR

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-14, 02:01 PM
#7 Divine Power+Rightoeus Might= fighter+spells
#8 Forsight+Clerity= never be surprised that day
#8.5 Congenicy+Clerity= never be surprised

Green Bean
2007-06-14, 02:03 PM
#9- Timestop > Forcecage > Cloudkill = win against pretty much anything that can't teleport

Morty
2007-06-14, 02:10 PM
#9- Timestop > Forcecage > Cloudkill = win against pretty much anything that can't teleport

Add Dimensional Anchor and now it works even if they can teleport.

Saph
2007-06-14, 02:13 PM
Add Dimensional Anchor and now it works even if they can teleport.

Not really. Virtually everything you'll be facing at level 17+ is either:

a) Immune to poision
b) Too big to be forcecaged
c) Able to cast greater dispel magic as a SLA
d) All of the above

- Saph

SpiderKoopa
2007-06-14, 02:17 PM
In 2E...
Cause Disease(Fatal) + Haste.
CD(F) kills you in 6 months. Haste ages you and the disease a year. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tyger
2007-06-14, 02:21 PM
#3 Tensers Floating Disk Greater + Baleful Transportation + dispel magic
Fly using the disk, then use then use baleful transportation, then dispel magic. Over a 400ft ravine though.

Won't work. Sorry, read the description of the Baleful Transposition. Have to be sharing a surface... or attached in some way. Now if you could get him to grab the rop you lower down maybe... :)

Morty
2007-06-14, 02:25 PM
Not really. Virtually everything you'll be facing at level 17+ is either:

a) Immune to poision
b) Too big to be forcecaged
c) Able to cast greater dispel magic as a SLA
d) All of the above

- Saph

True, but this combo will destroy almost all humanoid non-casting enemies.

The Mormegil
2007-06-15, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure it will work and I hate to think it would, but...

#10) Contingency-Celerity-Maximized Time Stop
-stunned
-forcecage
-shaped prismatic wall (read it carefully: expecially the part about anti-magic fields) inside the cage
-shaped anti-magic field inside the cage
-Counterspell on allies

Please, tell me I'm wrong...

Silkenfist
2007-06-15, 05:37 AM
True, but this combo will destroy almost all humanoid non-casting enemies.

Yes...but shouldn't you be able to defeat humanoid non-casting enemies without WASTING 1500 gp and a 9th level spell slot. At level 17 at least?

Silkenfist
2007-06-15, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure it will work and I hate to think it would, but...

#10) Contingency-Celerity-Maximized Time Stop
-stunned
-forcecage
-shaped prismatic wall (read it carefully: expecially the part about anti-magic fields) inside the cage
-shaped anti-magic field inside the cage
-Counterspell on allies

Please, tell me I'm wrong...

Is this even possible? Can you maximize a 9th level spell?

Yeril
2007-06-15, 05:41 AM
Sudden maximise, rod of greater maximisation.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-15, 06:13 AM
Won't work. Sorry, read the description of the Baleful Transposition. Have to be sharing a surface... or attached in some way. Now if you could get him to grab the rop you lower down maybe... :)

ok

Tensers floating disk + animate rope + baleful Transportation + dispel magic

Kurald Galain
2007-06-15, 06:20 AM
Cantrip + Permanency.

(or in third ed, Prestidigitate + Permanency)

Alveanerle
2007-06-15, 06:27 AM
Cantrip + Permanency.

(or in third ed, Prestidigitate + Permanency)

Might be me being noobish, but what's the power in this combo? Permanent change of color of one's teeth to red?

PlatinumJester
2007-06-15, 06:36 AM
Might be me being noobish, but what's the power in this combo? Permanent change of color of one's teeth to red?

Red Teeth are just so smexy :smallwink:

Tyger
2007-06-15, 07:08 AM
ok

Tensers floating disk + animate rope + baleful Transportation + dispel magic

Might work, assuming you mean Greater Floating Disc from the SC and you can drop the rope directly onto the person you want to Transpose. But even if you are a 20th level caster, this combo is going to pull off maybe 15d6 damage (see the Animate Rope description), and take 4 spells to complete. Just seems wasteful to me. A lot of things at 20th level are going to be better than this, and take far less spells. Granted, this one would look cool. :)

Nice low level use of the Tenser's Greater is to fill it with liquid... acid? poison? alchmists fire? and direct it to hover over the door. When it opens, you tip the disc, or just dispel it. :) Nothing like party tricks gone bad.

Bagera
2007-06-15, 09:41 PM
Entangle + Solid Fog 5ft movement speed halved.

sleeping fishy
2007-06-15, 09:49 PM
Entangle + Solid Fog 5ft movement speed halved.

wont work, sry... solid fog makes it 5ft regardless of movement speed, entangle applies to normal speed... so solid fog applies after everything!!

i like ray of enfeeblement + ray of exaustion...

Celsius
2007-06-16, 12:37 AM
Hehe, my personal favorite is Evard's Black Tentacles + Stinking Cloud...
The best part of this combo is that:

1) They're all wizard/sorc conjuration spells
2) It's purely from the SRD
3) You need a standard action to escape a grapple (nauseated)
4) You remain nauseated until you leave the cloud (grappled)
5) A level 7 wizard could complete it in two rounds

Have fun, conjurers!:smallbiggrin:

Justwar.
2007-06-16, 02:29 AM
I always liked fireball followed by fireball and backed up by another fireball or two for good measure. Everything fears fire.

sleeping fishy
2007-06-16, 02:31 AM
I always liked fireball followed by fireball and backed up by another fireball or two for good measure. Everything fears fire.

fire immune/resist is the most common type in the game...

wormwood
2007-06-16, 02:38 AM
fire immune/resist is the most common type in the game...

sure, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

Orzel
2007-06-16, 02:38 AM
Tree Shape + Tree Stride + Tree Shape

I'm a tree
Now I'm another tree
That tree
over there

sleeping fishy
2007-06-16, 02:55 AM
sure, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

i dunno about you, but when my spells keep doing nothing it sure makes it less fun for me. >_<

McDeath
2007-06-16, 03:38 AM
Regarding the first post, Baleful Transpositon requires that the target be linked to you by a surface. I only know because I tried that and got shot down by my DM.

Tyger
2007-06-16, 07:46 AM
Regarding the first post, Baleful Transpositon requires that the target be linked to you by a surface. I only know because I tried that and got shot down by my DM.

As was previously pointed out. :) A lot of people make that mistake though. If it did work that way, it would be hugely overpowered. Flying familiar + level 2 spell should not equal instant death.

Alveanerle
2007-06-16, 09:08 AM
Tree Shape + Tree Stride + Tree Shape

I'm a tree
Now I'm another tree
That tree
over there

Umm... is it valid? Tree shape changes your form into tree - it's not a shapechange, your are just magically concealed creature. The spell description states it explicite, saying that even closest inspection cannot reveal that you are not a tree but concealed creature.
Tree stride requires you to be IN the same type of tree - but you are not IN a tree under the Tree shape- you are concealed as one. So you still need to take a full round action to enter some tree to make use of the Tree stride - which might be problematic due to speed 0 under Tree shape.

Please do correct me if my logic is flawed.

Orzel
2007-06-16, 09:41 AM
Umm... is it valid? Tree shape changes your form into tree - it's not a shapechange, your are just magically concealed creature. The spell description states it explicite, saying that even closest inspection cannot reveal that you are not a tree but concealed creature.
Tree stride requires you to be IN the same type of tree - but you are not IN a tree under the Tree shape- you are concealed as one. So you still need to take a full round action to enter some tree to make use of the Tree stride - which might be problematic due to speed 0 under Tree shape.

Please do correct me if my logic is flawed.

Walk up up to a tree. Tree Shape into a tree. Enemy cannot find you. Dismiss Tree Shape next round and laugh. Stride into the real tree and transport into another tree. Enemy burn down random trees looking for you and are mauled by fleshraker wildshaped druids.

Just don't let them burn down the first tree when you're in it.

Pestlepup
2007-06-16, 10:11 AM
The Tenser-Transposition is a fun idea (even with the already-pointed-out problems), but it relies on your enemy not dispelling your locomotive levitator before you pull it off. Not only players can cast spells. :smallsmile: Though I must admit, it would be fun either way. Who cares who's falling? Splat is a very satisying sound regardless. :smallsmile:

demont
2007-06-16, 06:54 PM
300d6 damage anyone?

heres how: summon monster IX: elder earth elemental

summon it at least 10ft off the ground above an enemy

Edit: this works better if you use the summon monster 9 spell to summon 1d4+1 huge earth elementals, because they do 240d6 each

sleeping fishy
2007-06-16, 07:20 PM
geez, read the rules, guy... you have to summon things onto surfaces that can bear their weight... cant summon things in the air.

Vaniel
2007-06-16, 07:48 PM
Maximized + Chained Spell + Repeat Spell + Enervation with Arcane Thesis + Rod of Quicken (or something else)

/Vaniel

Godhand
2007-06-16, 08:19 PM
Transmute Rock to Mud+Dispel Magic/Transmute Mud to Rock. Not lethal, but trapping enemies in waist deep rock seems useful. If you get your cleric buddy to help out with the dispel magic the trick technically can be pulled off in one round.

Assay Spell Resistance+Power Word Kill, perhaps not viable at really high levels, but still potent to weaker SR creatures (or anything with less than 101 health.)

Conjurer
2007-06-16, 08:26 PM
Hehe, my personal favorite is Evard's Black Tentacles + Stinking Cloud...

Have fun, conjurers!:smallbiggrin:

Thanks... I certainly do. :biggrin:

Jorkens
2007-06-16, 08:44 PM
Would a wall of stone sticking out over said ravine work?

nooblade
2007-06-16, 09:03 PM
obscuring mist + levitate/fly/dimension door - low-level BBEG escape

silent image + wall of stone (or iron) - walls can do some neat things, more if nobody knows they're there

mind fog + charm/dominate person/monster - easily make friends

passwall + permenancy + forbiddance - impenetrable stronghold

permanency + enlarge person - great for warriors for 500 xp, don't expect to keep it forever. 20 potions for 1 min. might be more efficient, but cost money and aren't "permanent"

magic mouth + mirror image - this is just for fun. Make a couple mouths, then have images stand in particular spots when they speak. Just don't be in sight.

My personal favorite:
create water + control water (+ forcecage/wall of force/resilient sphere/other disabler)- a wand of create water is awesome. 100 gallons in 5 minutes for 375 GP + 15 XP; much less than the cost of transporting that much water with other means. Plus you can give it to rogues or bards. A wand of control water is possible for clerics/druids too. 100 gallons is roughly 12 cubic feet according to the spell description. You just need 1 inch depth to make a lot more with control water, 2 feet higher/caster level for 10ft/level by 10ft/level rooms. Or just more create water. Trapping them in a room somehow means they can't just swim to avoid trouble. Drowning isn't ever expected for most occasions. With other magic or swimming you can eliminate pit traps like this.

The only problem is, maybe 5 rounds of create water are needed for the inch minimum before control water can be cast. Getting characters with UMD for those wands or some low-level cleric followers might help speed things along though. Or just immobilize them with forcecage or something. Actually, forcecage with the small holes in the sides makes for some excellent drowning. Forcecage someone at the bottom of a pit and drown them, good times. Nobody has enough Con to last 10 min/level, and they also can't speak or get out by anything conventional I know when the timing is right. Wall of force or resilient sphere might be more tricky if they can swim, but then you just need more water. Get enough and they take crushing damage too, so it works against undead/constructs that can't swim.

Tyger
2007-06-16, 09:06 PM
Would a wall of stone sticking out over said ravine work?

Assuming that you and he are sharing a surface, i.e. that one of you is standing on the wall of stone. Then you could, I suppose, destroy the wall in some way. Or transmute it to mud or some such. Waste of a lot of spells though. Unless its a REALLY deep ravine. :)

kpenguin
2007-06-16, 09:12 PM
I can't believe nobody mentioned this, but...

magic missile + darkness

Have fun!

PlatinumJester
2007-06-17, 02:39 PM
Magic Missile is a crap spell :smalltongue:

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-17, 03:35 PM
Magic Missile is a crap spell :smalltongue:

its a legendary spell, nothing beats it!

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 03:42 PM
its a legendary spell, nothing beats it!

umm no, its a tiny amount of damage... it sucks at pretty much every level, lol.

Tola
2007-06-17, 03:53 PM
That's the price paid for accuracy, I guess. It CANNOT miss, remember?

I guess half the reason the Lesser/Greater Missile Storms were removed was because the auto-hit with that many missiles(something like 20-30?) was too much.

Jimp
2007-06-17, 03:54 PM
I think a few of us missed the 8-bit D&D reference.
I wanna cast MAGIC MISSLE!
I attack THE DARKNESS!

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 04:00 PM
That's the price paid for accuracy, I guess. It CANNOT miss, remember?

I guess half the reason the Lesser/Greater Missile Storms were removed was because the auto-hit with that many missiles(something like 20-30?) was too much.

umm, it cant miss, but who cares? its guaranteed... to suck!!

missile storm is from nwn, were never balanced for real d&d... lesser storm sucked, tho', greater one was broken just cuz of how much they had each missile do (& how many of 'em). not related to real magic missile at all...

Solo
2007-06-17, 04:02 PM
umm no, its a tiny amount of damage... it sucks at pretty much every level, lol.
Your lies cannot hurt me.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-17, 04:03 PM

LIES! LIES!! :smallbiggrin:

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 04:05 PM
wth?? get out of love with the spell guys...

Jack Mann
2007-06-17, 04:13 PM
I think a few of us missed the 8-bit D&D reference.
I wanna cast MAGIC MISSLE!
I attack THE DARKNESS!

Dead Alewives, philistine.

Tola
2007-06-17, 04:23 PM
missile storm is from nwn, were never balanced for real d&d...

Proof, please?

Parry is one they admitted wasn't a 'real' skill, because the entire idea was dropped from D&D, leaving them in the lurch. I've never heard of any such talk with the Missile Storms.

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 04:27 PM
umm... proof?? try finding the spells in a d&d book... they dont exist! duh?

Tola
2007-06-17, 04:33 PM
Oh? I wouldn't know. Where would you find information on 3.0 now, anyway? That's the version one would need to check. I'm certain it doesn't exist NOW, but did it THEN?

...It occurs that you might find a note of...harshness in my words. This is not 'arguing', this is genuine curiosity, here. Up till now, I believed all the spells provided, much like the feats and skills, existed in D&D at the time of release, though effects might have been different, though they may have disappeared when 3.5 came along. (Best example of what I mean is Circle Kick. I asked about that one here before. What I got was that it DID exist at one point, but was dropped when 3.5 came along.).

sleeping fishy
2007-06-17, 04:44 PM
i cant really prove a NEGATIVE... doesnt work that way!! i promise you wont find missile storm in any 3.0 source, tho. feel free to try, must be a list of spells somewhere. its made up for nwn, just like "improved knockdown" replacing trip &etc. circle kick still exists, i think its called roundabout kick now, check comp. war.

DoomITP
2007-06-17, 05:07 PM
ok now im confused

SITB
2007-06-17, 05:20 PM
Let's look at Greater magic missile storm, 2d6 per missile per level for a level 6 spell.

Let's look at a staple level 6 damage spell say, chain lightning. That spell does 1d6 per level and hits another target for half the damage.

On the one hand you got an absuardly powerfull spell(Greater magic missile storm) that can't miss.

On the other hand you got chain lightning that can deal 0.75 damage as the former one and can still miss.

Hell, a 8th level spell polar ray deals 1d6 per level cold damage on a ranged touch attack which is inferior to in every repect to Greater magic missile storm.

Matthew
2007-06-17, 09:28 PM
Was the Parry Skill originally slated to be in 3.0? I heard that was total Never Winter Nights invention, but it would be cool if it wasn't, as that would explain what happened to that part of Player's Option: Combat and Tactics.
Looking at my 3.0 PHB, it appears that Missile Storm was not part of that Ruleset (surprise, surprise), though maybe it found it's way into one of the expansion books, somebody might know. I doubt it did, though.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-17, 09:33 PM
Let's look at Greater magic missile storm, 2d6 per missile per level for a level 6 spell.

How many missles do you get, and at what increment(1 per level, 1 per 2 levels?), because that can change the total equation alot.

Jack Mann
2007-06-17, 09:42 PM
One per level to a maximum of twenty.

It's an area-of-effect. If there are more creatures than missiles in the area, only the ones closest get hit. If there are more missiles than creatures, someone's getting hit more than once. If there's only one person in the area, he's taking 2d6/caster level, with no saving throw, no attack roll necessary. Like disintegrate, but even better. Maximize it for 240 damage at level twenty.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-18, 12:40 AM
solid fog + another fog works really good.

Pestlepup
2007-06-18, 01:12 AM
Ahh... Mordenkainen's Force Missiles. Miss 'em. Stunk the Helheim out of a low to mid-level wizard, but if you'd give it to an arch mage it was concussion damage galore. AD&D has/had its moments.

JackMage666
2007-06-18, 01:48 AM
Force Missiles still exist - SC, pg 98. Kinda a boosted Magic Missile, as well.

Alveanerle
2007-06-18, 02:54 AM
Lesser and more ecologic sister of the aforementioned "stinking tentacles" tactic - entangle+summon swarm. Preferably summon the swarm near the only arcane caster the group has if he failed his reflex save. Spider/bat swarm can only be damaged with area spells and effects, and the only reliable source of such spells on low levels is taking automatic damage and can't move away due to entangle.

Plus the excellent D horror movie feeling - the group is strolling through dark and misty marsh, suddenly all trees come to life and the company finds themselves entangled in a mass of entwinned twigs and branches. Then a wave after wave of spiders start coming from out of nowhere. Quickly followed by a swarm of bats. Mmm...

Neat & clean low level trick - druid can pull it at lvl3.

Callix
2007-06-18, 06:10 AM
Greater Missile Storm is in FR books... and in NWN2 they gave it a FREE EMPOWER! That's right. Against a single opponent, that's 3d6/level, no save, no attack roll. Empower at 20th level for 90d6 (avg 315) dmg.

For cool combos, solid fog + stinking cloud is crowd control gold, and Invisibility and Earthquake is the sort of combo no evil cleric with expendable underground base should be without (love that trickery domain). For that matter, spamming Earthquakes outdoors, followed by Dimension Door and Antimagic Field (possibly from a wizard) over the top of the BBEG's fallen-into-shaft is just plain mean.

EDIT: Travel and Protection domains also allow Earthquake cheese. Reflex DC30 or die? Fun, fun, fun!

PlatinumJester
2007-06-18, 08:44 AM
Enough with the magic missiles, man.

Jayabalard
2007-06-18, 09:18 AM
i cant really prove a NEGATIVE... doesnt work that way!! i promise you wont find missile storm in any 3.0 source, tho. your statement is that it did not exist... it's not hard to prove as long as either:
1. The set you are checking over is finite, and is therefore it is possible to inspect each and every item in the set in a finite amount of time.

or

2. The set that you are checking over is countably infinite, and it is therefore possible to set up a proof by mathematical induction.

It's even possible to prove for some cases when the set that you are checking over is uncountably infinite.

The number of official D&D spells (ones released in D&D books) for example, is in the first category: there are a finite number of spells, and it is therefore possible to prove that a certain spell does not exist by checking each one.

valadil
2007-06-18, 10:17 AM
40 pound gnome + reduce person + mage hand = frequent flyer miles before you can afford a fly spell. Unfortunately my GM ruled that gnomes are magical objects and thus can't be mage handed.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-18, 11:16 AM
Instead of using redice person and lmage hand and losing 2 spell slots why not just use Mage Hand Greater from the Spell Compendium.

Black Hand
2007-06-18, 03:55 PM
I've had a couple of players come up with this one (although it was in second ed. and not too sure how it'll fly in 3.x ed). It was a good combo to use against multiple ground based enemies.

They called it: The Doughnut of Death

1-Was a wall of force encirculating the enemy.
2-The other caster also case Wall of fire in the same circular pattern...burning side pointing inwards.
3-Just to be cruel they would either then cast a blade barrier within, or drop a cloudkill inside.

Essentially the poor sot's that are trapped in there could remain in the middle and take residual damage from being near the wall of fire. But in most cases they'd try run through taking the full damage, to only find the blade barrier then the wall of force keeping them from escaping then having to make their way back out into the middle.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-18, 05:22 PM
Black Hand,

As written, a Wall of Force has to be flat. It doesn't curve (unlike a Wall of Stone).

Black Hand
2007-06-18, 07:18 PM
Black Hand,

As written, a Wall of Force has to be flat. It doesn't curve (unlike a Wall of Stone).

Which was why I had mentioned Second Edition where it was a little more shapeable. I haven't had anyone try it in 3.e, but I like your substitution with the Wall of Stone. Indeed.