PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Usurper (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Jormengand
2016-01-20, 06:44 PM
This class, created in just 30 minutes, excels at taking over other people's stuff.

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Control Points1st+0+2+0+2Usurp Life 1d6
02nd+1+3+0+3Usurp Magic
23rd+2+3+1+3Usurp Life 2d6
54th+3+4+1+4Usurp Power
105th+3+4+1+4Usurp Life 3d6
156th+4+5+2+5Usurp Control
227th+5+5+2+5Usurp Life 4d6
298th+6/+1+6+2+6Usurp Position
379th+6/+1+6+3+6Usurp Life 5d6
4510th+7/+2+7+3+7Usurp Ability
5511th+8/+3+7+3+7Usurp Life 6d6
6512th+9/+4+8+4+8Usurp Health
7613th+9/+4+8+4+8Usurp Life 7d6
8814th+10/+5+9+4+9Usurp Item
10015th+11/+6/+1+9+5+9Usurp Life 8d6
11316th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Usurp Energy
12717th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Usurp Life 9d6
14118th+13/+8/+3+11+6+11Usurp Identity
15619th+14/+9/+4+11+6+11Usurp Life 10d6
17120th+15/+10/+5+12+6+12Usurp Existence

Alignment: Any nongood
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
The class skills of the usurper (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
The usurper is not proficient with any kind of weapon or armour, but isn't impeded by it any more than any other nonproficient character might be.

Usurp Life (Su)

As a standard action, the usurper can make a touch attack (usually referred to as the "Usurper's touch") which transfers 1d6 hit points from the target creature to the usurper. If the usurper is at maximum hit points, the target's hit points just disappear. If the target runs out of hit points (to the point of death, not just having 0 hit points - this usually means that the target will have -10 hit points) then the usurper is not healed for the excess damage.

This is transfer of hit points, not damage, so it doesn't have a type and can't be resisted.

Usurp Magic (Su)
With an immediate action, the usurper can make any choices that the caster of a spell would normally make instead of the caster being allowed to choose them. Doing so requires that a Control Point cost be paid - this cost is minus one, plus two per spell level (cantrips are counted as a half, so they cost no Control Points). This cost is equivalent to the minimum wizard level usually required to cast the spell.

This is useful against powers, spell-like and psi-like abilities, and martial strikes (but not stances or supernatural abilities), even though each of these is one step further from true magic. Against powers, the Control Point cost is equal to the Power Points paid, otherwise it follows the normal formula based on level. If there is no level, the Control Point cost is the minimum hit dice needed to use the ability under normal circumstances.

As an example of what can be done with this ability, usurping a dispel magic spell would allow you to choose which of the three types of dispel is being used, and where. The original caster must make a dispel check, even if they'd rather not.

Usurp Power (Su)

From 4th level, instead of hit points, the usurper can steal ability score points. The number of ability score points stolen on each attack is one, plus one per two dice of the usurper's Usurp Life attack. The ability score points are simply transferred from the target to the usurper. They must be the same type, but you must choose which - you cannot steal an enemy's constitution and add it to your dexterity. You can steal some points from each, though - for example, you might steal 1 constitution and one dexterity, but then you would have to add one to each of your own. You can't steal a creature's ability scores after they hit zero. The stolen ability scores last 1 hour/level.

Usurp Control (Su)

From 6th level, the usurper can command summoned or compelled creatures as though their master. If the real master is present, the creature attempts to obey all orders that don't contradict, and ignore conflicting orders. Each round it is conflicted like this, it gets a new save to end the effect (if it was entitled to one in the first instance).

Usurp Position (Su)

From 8th level, as a standard action, the usurper can switch location with a creature within 10 feet per level. No saving throw is allowed against this effect.

Usurp Ability (Su)

From 10th level, the usurper's touch attack can, instead of stealing life or ability scores, steal the actual abilities of a creature. The usurper can steal a single class feature of the target creature, entitling the usurper to its use for 1 hour per level and denying the target that ability for as long, so long as the class feature is gained at a class level less than half the usurper's level (or less than half the usurper's level, minus five, for a prestige class) and so long as the class feature doesn't advance in instances over levels (you cannot steal a rogue's sneak attack or a truenamer's utterances, but you can steal a bonus that just scales with level such as a monk's AC bonus). As a general rule, if the ability is written more than once in the table or has a separate table detailing its advancement, you probably can't steal it.

You can steal abilities chosen from a list like a rogue's special abilities, but you must steal the one that was gained at a low enough level. For example, a 20th level usurper stealing from a rogue who got improved evasion at level 10 and crippling strike at level 13 can't steal crippling strike, only improved evasion.

You can't steal bonus feats or weapon and armour proficiency in this way.

You can't steal:

Weapon and Armour Proficiency (Specific Exemption)
Flurry of Blows (It advances in instances at 5th, 9th and 11th level)
Unarmed Strike (It advances in instances and includes a bonus feat)
Bonus Feat (Specific Exemption)
Ki Strike (It advances in instances)
Slow Fall (It advances in instances)

You can steal:

AC bonus (Just scales with level)
Evasion (Improved Evasion is a separate ability)
Fast Movement (Just scales with level)
Improved Evasion (Separate ability to Evasion)
Everything else!

Usurp Health (Su)

From 12th level, an usurper's touch can instead of the normal effects transfer up to one condition (of those listed in the Condition Summary) per 6 levels to the touched target for the duration of the condition. Alternatively, the usurper's touch can transfer that many conditions to the usurper (so that the usurper can transfer then away again, perhaps). The following conditions can't be transferred:

Ability Damaged, Ability Drained, Blown Away, Checked, Dead, Disabled, Dying, Energy Drained, Entangled, Flat-Footed, Grappling, Helpless, Incorporeal, Invisible, Knocked Down, Petrified, Pinned, Prone, Stable, Staggered, Turned, Unconscious.

Usurp Item (Su)

From 14th level, an usurper's touch can transfer a single item from the target's possession to the usurper's, rather than the usual effect.

Usurp Energy (Su)

From 16th level, an usurper's touch can steal a single level per 5 levels the usurper has from the target, rather than the usual effect. The usurper gains temporary hit points as appropriate to the usurper's new level, and the usurper's level is treated as that much higher, but the usurper doesn't actually get new abilities, only an advance on old ones, while the target temporarily loses the relevant number of levels from the class they last gained levels in from the duration, which is 1 hour/level. Unlike negative levels, this is true level loss and is not powered by negative energy. A creature who loses all their levels in this way is staggered and has no hit points, no skill points and a base attack bonus of zero. Creatures can't lose levels they don't have and you can't gain more levels for trying to steal them. You always get usurper levels, regardless of what class or racial levels you stole.

Usurp Identity (Su)

From 18th level, an usurper can try to take over a creature with the usurper's touch. To do this, the usurper must reduce the creature's intelligence, wisdom or charisma (any one or more) to zero. Then, the creature becomes an animated puppet under the command of the usurper until they get their ability scores back above zero. If they are somehow freed from the usurper's command in another way, they fall into the usual comatose state that others of their zero-ability enter.

Usurp Existence (Su)

From 20th level, an usurper can gain a second life from a creature killed using the usurper's touch (either by reducing hit points or constitution). This second life has multiple benefits: temporary hit points equal to the deceased's maximum hit points, a bonus to each ability score equal to zero or the deceased's base ability score of that type minus 10, whichever is higher, and the ability to shrug off effects which would otherwise kill the usurper. However, this second life is lost when all the temporary hit points are gone, when the usurper is saved from death from the second life, or when 1 day per level has passed. The usurper can only usurp one existence at once.

Code of Conduct
Usurpers must not usurp from other creatures just to increase their own power, unless the target is willing. Usurpers who attempt this gain no benefit from it, but do not actually lose class features.

Epic Usurper
LevelSpecial
Control Points21stUsurp Life 11d6
20522ndField of Control 1d6
22223rdUsurp Life 12d6
24024thUsurp Spellpower
25925thUsurp Life 13d6
27826thField of Control 2d6
29827thUsurp Life 14d6
31828thUsurp Speed
33929thUsurp Life 15d6
36130thTouch of Usurping, Field of Control 3d6

Field of Control (Su)
Every round from 22nd level, each creature within 60 feet is liable to be affected by a weakened version of the usurper's touch, which only usurps 1d6 hit points, plus 1d6 per 4 levels after 22nd. Also, any level-based variables treat the usurper's level as their level, minus 20, halved. The usurper chooses each round which creatures to affect.

Usurp Spellpower (Su)
From 24th level, the usurper's touch gains a new ability; it can drain spells, or psi points and psychic powers, from a creature. Roll for the usurper's touch normally, but no hit points are transferred. Instead, you get that many points to steal these abilities with. Check the highest level of spells, spell-like or psi-like abilities or martial strikes (powers are resolved differently) the creature has. Double it and subtract 1 to find out how many points it's worth (ignore cantrips; they can't be stolen like this as the usurper's mighty power simply ignores them). If the usurper rolled enough points for that ability, steal a random ability of that level and subtract that many points, then repeat this process until the usurper can't steal any more of the highest-level ability, then move onto lower-level abilities. For example, an usurper who is unfortunate enough to roll just 18 would steal a 9th-level spell and a 1st-level spell. Prepared casters lose a random spell; spontaneous and fixed-list casters lose a slot of that level.

Psionic characters are resolved differently. You steal as many psi points as you rolled points, and can use those points to manifest powers that are chosen and stolen in the same way as spells, but the creature doesn't actually lose those powers, only their points.

These abilities are used at the same caster level and DC (as well as any other variables in the spell based on the caster) as the original caster would have cast them at. For example, stealing a Burning Hands from a level 1 wizard with 18 intelligence will only net you 1d4 points of fire damage, but the save DC will be 15. If you steal telekinesis from another wizard, you use her caster level and intelligence modifier on the grapple check, attack roll, and so forth.

Spells and slots aren't lost indefinitely, they are just expended as though cast. You can't keep the spells you've stolen past when the creature regains those spells (which means that you may have to use any martial strikes you steal very quickly).

Usurp Speed (Su)
From 28th level, instead of the normal effects, an usurper's touch can steal 5 feet from any type of movement a creature has per die the attack has, and give that speed to the usurper. If the usurper has multiple fly maneuverabilities, use the best one. A creature whose speed is reduced to zero can't take 5 foot steps, but can move 5 feet as a full-round action. A creature without a fly speed stops flying and falls.

Touch of Usurping (Su)
From 30th level, the usurper's touch is no longer a specific type of touch attack, but can be applied on any touch the usurper makes, such as unarmed strikes, once per round in a grapple, while casting a touch spell, or simply taking a full attack to launch an array of usurping touches.

Sky
2016-01-21, 01:08 PM
You might want to put a time limit on Usurp Power. Permanently increasing your ability scores seems pretty powerful at level 4. Also, you might want to clarify whether Usurping Power increases stack or not.

Otherwise, seems pretty interesting. It's a one-trick pony, but it's a pretty good trick.

noob
2016-01-21, 01:18 PM
When I have Usurp Energy can I dry out 50 horses for gaining 50 levels?
Does it stacks.
And the same kind of questions for usurp power.

Jormengand
2016-01-21, 01:27 PM
You might want to put a time limit on Usurp Power. Permanently increasing your ability scores seems pretty powerful at level 4. Also, you might want to clarify whether Usurping Power increases stack or not.

Oops! It's meant to have a time limit.

It's an increase, not a bonus. It would be meaningless for it not to stack.

When I have Usurp Energy can I dry out 50 horses for gaining 50 levels?
Does it stacks.
And the same kind of questions for usurp power.

I added a small code of conduct to prevent such chicanery.

Sky
2016-01-21, 02:32 PM
Code of Conduct
Usurpers must not usurp from other creatures just to increase their own power, unless the target is willing. Usurpers who attempt this gain no benefit from it, but do not actually lose class features.

Soooo.... Does this mean I can't use this offensively? I can't really see that goblin that's trying to kill me being particularly willing to loan me his strength. :smalltongue:

Maybe instead you can limit the total number of points transferred by Usurp Power to one-half the Usurper Level or something like that. That would give you a good bonus, but prevent you from wiping out a village and buffing yourself to infinity. It also doesn't have to deal with the messy problem of defining "willing" in a game with mind control, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.

Jormengand
2016-01-21, 02:36 PM
Soooo.... Does this mean I can't use this offensively?

No, because that's not using it "Just to increase their own power".

ImperatorV
2016-01-21, 02:39 PM
Soooo.... Does this mean I can't use this offensively? I can't really see that goblin that's trying to kill me being particularly willing to loan me his strength. :smalltongue:

Maybe instead you can limit the total number of points transferred by Usurp Power to one-half the Usurper Level or something like that. That would give you a good bonus, but prevent you from wiping out a village and buffing yourself to infinity. It also doesn't have to deal with the messy problem of defining "willing" in a game with mind control, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.

No, you are stealing power because that is your best way of defending yourself. It's not just for power. Similarly, stealing power to from someone and using it to overthrow a king opposed to your goals is not doing it just for power - unless your end goal is actually getting more power.

Yeah that wording is confusing.

EDIT: Dang. Mundane Trickster'd.

Jormengand
2016-01-21, 02:44 PM
EDIT: Dang. Mundane Trickster'd.

This makes me happy. :smalltongue:

Sky
2016-01-21, 03:23 PM
Making mechanics dependent on motivation is, in my experience, pretty tricky. I can see that particular code leading to a lot of arguments, like code for paladins does. I think it would be better have a mechanical limit, as opposed to a more subjective code because it leaves less potential for different interpretations to conflict. For example, one thing I could see happening is a party pooling their resources by having the Usurper absorb the entire party's stats and become UberUsurper with +20 to every stat for an hour/level. The goal isn't more power for the Usurper, it's making a nearly-invincible character so the rest of the party doesn't have to risk their necks. If the party members agree to this, it's totally legal under the code.

It's easy enough to ban cases like this individually, but it's hard to write a comprehensive ban that covers all the possible exploits of unlimited powers. That's why I think it would be better to just put a limit on the total number of points that could be absorbed.

On a seperate note, if Usurp Health could also let you take on adverse conditions, you could take them from an ally and transfer them to an enemy. That would be pretty cool.

Jormengand
2016-01-21, 03:33 PM
Making mechanics dependent on motivation is, in my experience, pretty tricky. I can see that particular code leading to a lot of arguments, like code for paladins does. I think it would be better have a mechanical limit, as opposed to a more subjective code because it leaves less potential for different interpretations to conflict. For example, one thing I could see happening is a party pooling their resources by having the Usurper absorb the entire party's stats and become UberUsurper with +20 to every stat for an hour/level. The goal isn't more power for the Usurper, it's making a nearly-invincible character so the rest of the party doesn't have to risk their necks. If the party members agree to this, it's totally legal under the code.

To be honest, though, I'd rather fight uberusurper than four separate characters. I mean sure, you have +20 to all your ability scores, that's neat... but that doesn't actually help you that much. Not as much as a bard, a paladin and a sorcerer will help you.

Sky
2016-01-21, 03:53 PM
To be honest, though, I'd rather fight uberusurper than four separate characters. I mean sure, you have +20 to all your ability scores, that's neat... but that doesn't actually help you that much. Not as much as a bard, a paladin and a sorcerer will help you.

All right. It's your call. :smallsmile:

Jormengand
2016-01-24, 08:47 AM
Check out my cool new epic progression as well!