PDA

View Full Version : Wildshaping questions

rmnimoc
2016-01-20, 09:19 PM
I've got an issue, and a bunch of questions. Here they both are:

I love druids, particularly their wildshape ability. It's just so cool. Every time I play a druid though I mostly end up just solving all my issues with casting, with wildshape just being a way to fly/dig/not be squishy while doing so. I want to do all sorts of fun wildshape things, but I have trouble doing it since the situation I'm either in a higher op game where I can't really afford to not bring everything I can bear at the problem, or I'm in a lower op game where I really can't play druid because it'd be clear that I'm basically Gandalf in a party of hobbits and any real problem we could potentially solve I could solve on my own with no real issue, which isn't fun.

I vaguely recall something about Wildshape Rangers and Monks, but I can't really find any info on either of them.

1) Anyone know where I can find more info on Wildshape Rangers or Monks (or any other such thing) or any other solution to this problem?

2) Also, for feats that give wildshape forms, there's Frozen, Exalted, Aberration, and Dragon. Am I missing any?

3) Also also, what PRCs are there that are based around Wildshape? I know there's Master Of Many Forms, but that's the only one I know.

Thanks in advance.

Troacctid
2016-01-20, 09:40 PM
1. Wildshape Ranger can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger). Wild Monk can be found in Dragon #324.

2. Vermin Shape, from Eberron Campaign Setting.

3. Nature's Warrior and Warshaper (both from Complete Warrior) probably fit the bill.

Necroticplague
2016-01-20, 09:43 PM
I've got an issue, and a bunch of questions. Here they both are:

I love druids, particularly their wildshape ability. It's just so cool. Every time I play a druid though I mostly end up just solving all my issues with casting, with wildshape just being a way to fly/dig/not be squishy while doing so. I want to do all sorts of fun wildshape things, but I have trouble doing it since the situation I'm either in a higher op game where I can't really afford to not bring everything I can bear at the problem, or I'm in a lower op game where I really can't play druid because it'd be clear that I'm basically Gandalf in a party of hobbits and any real problem we could potentially solve I could solve on my own with no real issue, which isn't fun.

I vaguely recall something about Wildshape Rangers and Monks, but I can't really find any info on either of them.

1) Anyone know where I can find more info on Wildshape Rangers or Monks (or any other such thing) or any other solution to this problem?

2) Also, for feats that give wildshape forms, there's Frozen, Exalted, Aberration, and Dragon. Am I missing any?

3) Also also, what PRCs are there that are based around Wildshape? I know there's Master Of Many Forms, but that's the only one I know.

Thanks in advance.

1. You can find Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm)here. Also gets Fast Movement. Wild Monk is a variant found in Dragon 324.
You could also be a Divine Minion. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) They get Wild Shape as a 12th level druid for a mere +1 LA (or +2, for some better forms (always been partial to Set or Nephthys, depending on ECL to burn).

2.There's a bunch of Epic ones that give you just about everything. There's also Primeval Wild Shape, which lets you augment you forms.

3.Warshaper and Nature's Warrior.

Beheld
2016-01-20, 10:35 PM
1. Wildshape Ranger can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger). Wild Monk can be found in Dragon #324.

3. Nature's Warrior and Warshaper (both from Complete Warrior) probably fit the bill.

Why are you saying that Druids can't wildshape?

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-20, 11:45 PM

building off of this:

Urban druid can wildshape into an animated skateboard with a crossbow bolted on top @ 12th level.

Corrupted wildshape (LM) allows the undead to shift. Really gets interesting with aberration wildshape

Beast shape (Eberron campaign setting) allows cockatrice or unicorn and some other forms

Exalted wildshape gets you pegasus blink dog unicorn and animal forms with the celestial template

eggynack
2016-01-21, 04:49 AM
Corrupted wildshape (LM) allows the undead to shift. Really gets interesting with aberration wildshape

Undead can actually wild shape just fine. That feat is kinda obsolete at this point as a result. It's the same kinda thing as the whole "Oh man, talontar blightlords get to use glaives even though those are prohibited by the druidic oath, except they're not disallowed at all anymore," thing.

Anyways, yeah, there are other sources of alternate forms, but those are the big four. One thing that's gone unmentioned thus far is fangshields druid substitution levels from champions of valor, which allows humanoid wild shape. Also, the cityscape web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has city-shape, as one of the many ways of becoming a vermin (alongside the mentioned feat are the wasteland druid ACF, from sandstorm, the vestment of verminshape, from the DMG II, and some others which I think grant more limited access), as well as city soul for animated object forms.

Hiro Quester
2016-01-21, 02:46 PM
I should add that Dragon's wild monk is nowhere near as good as playing druid with a one-level monk dip. I'm playing one right now.

For trading out one level of Druid progression, you get (almost) the druid goodies (wildshape, spells, animal buddy, summoning), plus Wis to AC in all forms, improved unarmed strike (iterative attacks from your BAB, with all your wildshape form's natural attacks as secondary attacks), So at BAB 6 you get up to 7 attacks per round, US1 and two rake attacks at regular bonus, and second US2 and claw, claw, bite all at -5).

Plus with Denying Stance variation you get +2 to (cross class for druid) tumble and improved grapple feat (whose +4 to grapple checks stacks nicely on top of the improved grab that many animal forms get).

Dump str and dex, pump wis and con, grab an amulet of mighty fists (for + to all monk UASs and Natural attacks) and away you go!

Also plead with your DM for fractional BAB to count .75 BAB each for first level Druid and Monk to add to +1 rather than +0 (i.e. one more point of BAB).