PDA

View Full Version : I see the Angels, I'll lead them to your door...

Hazkali
2007-06-14, 04:35 PM
Angel of Vengance

I see the angels, I'll lead them to your door,
There's no escape now, no mercy no more,
No remorse because I still remember
The smile when you tore me apart.
--Angel, Within Temptation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL5pnphLh0g)

Vengance is their right.
Vengance is their duty.
Vengance is their salvation.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Return, Vengance 1

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Spirits (Soulsight)

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Vengance 2

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spirits (Grace)

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Vengance 3

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5|Spirits (Wrath)

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5|Vengance 4

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6|Spirits (Resistance)

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Vengance 5

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7|Spirits (Fury), Elemental Transformation

[/table]

Prerequisites:

Base Will Save: +5 or Base Fort Save: +5
Weapon Focus with their Diety's favoured weapon
Must have been killed or died as a result of intentionally malicious or evil actions and have not been ressurected, yet have gained enough experience to take the first level of this class.

Alignment: Any nonevil

Hit Die: d12
Class Skills: Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Abilities

Return: The Angel of Vengance returns from death to fulfil his divine duty. The Angel is ressurrected as if true ressurection spell had been cast on him. In return, the Angel is sworn to the eradictation of his killers and their ilk. The Angel of Vengance cannot take another level in a class other than Angel of Vengance until he has reached all 10 levels of Angel of Vengance. After that point he may level up normally. In addition, if the Angel of Vengance ever intentionally commits an act that would cause him to become the object of his own vengance, the Return is forsaken and he dies and is unable to be ressurected.

Vengance (Su): At 1st level the Angel of Vengance gains a +2 bonus on Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against those for whom the Angel of Vengance has sworn vengance on. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. Each time the Angel of Vengance gets the Vengance ability it affects more and more people- see the Levels of Vengance sidebar for details.

Spirits (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the Angel of Vengance is surrounded by a glowing, moving nimbus created of the souls of unfortunates who have fallen to his focus of vengance. The nimbus gives the Angel of Vengance a +2 bonus on intimidate checks against those subject to his Vengance ability, as well as giving good illumination out to 5ft and shadowy illumination out to 10ft. In addition, the Spirits give the Angel of Vengance various abilities:

Soulsight: The spirits can see into the hearts of all who he sees, uncovering their sins. The Angel of Vengance knows the identity of all within 60ft who are affected by his Vengance ability. This does not allow him to discover unseen or invisible foes but does bypass all alignment and scrying protection.

Grace: The spirits grant the Angel of Vengance a bonus to each of his saving throws equal to his Charisma modifier.

Wrath: A number of times per day equal to his charisma modifier the Angel of Vengance may send the spirits away from him in a blinding flash. All within a 60ft burst (excluding the Angel himself) take 2d6 points of energy damage. If the Angel is good-aligned, this is positive engery, healing living creatures and harming undead. If the Angel is neutral he may choose whether this is positive energy or negative energy, harming living creatures and healing undead. Once the choice is made the Angel may not change.

Resistance: The spirits give the Angel of Vengance resistance 5 to one type of energy (chosen by the player).

Fury: Once per day as a standard action the Angel of Vengance can direct the spirits at one object of his vengance within 60ft. The Spirits rake the target, doing d6 points of damage in the first turn, 2d6 points of damage the second turn, 3d6 in the third, and so on. In return, the Angel of Vengance takes nonlethal damage equal to half of the damage done that turn. The Angel of Vengance does not need to concentrate on this ability and may direct them for a number of rounds equal to twice his Charisma modifier. If the Angel of Vengance falls unconcious, the Fury effect ends.

Elemental Transformation: At 10th level, the Angel of Vengance is transformed into a being of pure divine wrath. He becomes an Outsider (Native) and gains Damage Reduction 5/magic. He also grows wings, allowing him to fly with a fly speed of 60ft (or 40 feet if he wears medium or heavy armor, or if he carries a medium or heavy load) with good manuverability

Levels Of Vengance

The various levels of vengance are as follows:
1) The original killer of the Angel of Vengance
2) Close Associates of the Killer
3) Associates of the Killer
4) Those fulfilling the same archtype
5) All comitting the same crime

For example, if an Angel of Vengance was killed by one of an order of supposed monks of Pelor who had abused their trust, the levels would go:
1) The Killer
2) Those who had witnessed or aided the killing
3) All of those in the Order
4) Monks of Pelor who abuse their trust
5) Anyone who abuses their trust

The DM and players are encouraged to work out 5 levels that are connected to the campaign world and the overarching plot of the campagin.

Fizban
2007-06-14, 05:59 PM
Holy crap I love that song! *Notices link* Holy crap, music video! Oh, and you should probably edit your post to include the name of the song as well as the group.

When you say d6 I assume you mean 1d6, but it should be clarified.

Everything else is great. I love classes that let you return from the dead, though the requirements on this make it a little difficult to get in, since you have to die with extra xp, which depends on how the campaign awards xp and handles leveling up.

Whoo, vengeance!

Aramil Liadon
2007-06-14, 07:42 PM
That's cool. It actually gave me shivers as I read it. It seems that it would be quite annoying for anyone who wasn't the angel, though. Find them, kill them. Nothing else untill they're dead? could get boring. Also, what if you kill the target before gaining max levels in the class? Vengeance is served. Do you keep advancing?

Hazkali
2007-06-15, 04:27 AM
That's cool. It actually gave me shivers as I read it.

:smallbiggrin: Thank-you! I can't claim praise for the lyrics at the top, though.

It seems that it would be quite annoying for anyone who wasn't the angel, though. Find them, kill them. Nothing else untill they're dead? could get boring. Also, what if you kill the target before gaining max levels in the class? Vengeance is served. Do you keep advancing?

Yup, if you kill your killer you can still keep on advancing an Angel of Vengance as your vengance branches out (via the Levels of Vengance), so if the DM's have followed the advice there'll always be bag guys you can affect. I forgot to mention that once you've completed all 10 levels of Angel of Vengance you can freely return to your previous class.

I don't know whether Wrath is too weak- I was thinking of upping it to 2d6 points of damage, especially with its possibly low number of uses per day.

DraPrime
2007-06-15, 09:35 AM
That is so cool. I personally think that you should have wrath become 2d6. It can't be used that many times per day so making it stronger would help.

Hazkali
2007-06-16, 06:45 AM
That is so cool. I personally think that you should have wrath become 2d6. It can't be used that many times per day so making it stronger would help.

Cool, I think so too. Done!

Matthew
2007-06-21, 01:59 PM
Just a quibble over the name of this Prestige Class. Angel is already in use to describe Angelic Outsiders. Would it not be less confusing to call this Spirit of Vengeance or Spirit of Righteous Vengeance/Wrath or something like that?

Hazkali
2007-06-21, 05:26 PM
Just a quibble over the name of this Prestige Class. Angel is already in use to describe Angelic Outsiders. Would it not be less confusing to call this Spirit of Vengeance or Spirit of Righteous Vengeance/Wrath or something like that?

By the same token, Spirit is used to describe creatures of the Spirit subtype, as well as the whole subset of creatures that the Spirit Shaman may use his abilities on. I don't really see that it's less confusing either way. Plus Angel of Vengance sounds cooler. :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2007-06-21, 05:35 PM
Spirit Subtype? Huh, wasn't aware of it's existence. What book did that turn up in? Angel may sound cooler, but it just sounds less accurate to me. Still, theological niceties have no place in D&D! Whatever suits you, it's just my opinion.