PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Drake Mount for Dragonborn PCs

DracoKnight
2016-01-21, 05:45 AM
Am I the only one who feels that the mental image of a dragonborn on horseback is weird? Well, to fix that issue, I whipped up a war drake (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHWTU0c1M3X2FhZUE/view?usp=sharing), with the express purpose of using it as a mount :smallsmile:

The War Drake is intended to be purchased by PCs for 800gp, and requires an exotic saddle.

Gastronomie
2016-01-21, 07:10 AM
Love the idea. Looks badass too. Would definitely work with both dragonborns and non-dragonborn PCs, given it's a setting involving lots of dragons and draconians.

I could maybe give it some weak breath weapon but I don't think it's really necessary.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-21, 08:41 AM
Although I don't have any conceptual problem with dragonborn riding horses, I do like this monster. It looks solid, and reminds me of the Cold One from Warhammer Fantasy - I could totally see drow breeding these.

I would say that 400gp is an absolute steal; it's CR2 compared to the CR1/2 warhorse, which is also priced at 400gp (and needs to be barded on top of that).

Also you should drop the apostrophe from "it's" in the multiattack line. :smalltongue:

Gastronomie
2016-01-21, 08:53 AM
The original price could be higher, but maybe some NPC will sell it for 400 gp if it's after the PCs do some good for them (as with most stuff in TRPGs).

Or maybe the war drake could be an especially savage and ferocious specimen, scheduled to be soon "disposed" of 'cause he wouldn't regard anyone as his master. Then he meets the party's dragonborn, decides he could maybe get along with this particular guy, and starts roaring and tugging at his chains to let him go near the dragonborn. Could make a nice new addition to the party.

DracoKnight
2016-01-21, 02:35 PM
Although I don't have any conceptual problem with dragonborn riding horses, I do like this monster. It looks solid, and reminds me of the Cold One from Warhammer Fantasy - I could totally see drow breeding these.

Drow, Dragonborn, etc. I statted it out with Cold resistance, because I'm using it as a mount for my silver Dragonborn paladin. It could really have any resistance/damage on its bite.

I would say that 400gp is an absolute steal; it's CR2 compared to the CR1/2 warhorse, which is also priced at 400gp (and needs to be barded on top of that).

It upped the price to 800 :smallsmile:

Also you should drop the apostrophe from "it's" in the multiattack line. :smalltongue:

Fixed it :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-01-21, 06:32 PM
Okay. This is awesome. I wish it cost less than 860gp (800 for the drake, 60 for the saddle) but the investment is worth it for a mount this cool, thematically. :smallbiggrin: