PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with a Reach Raging Surge Wilder?

DigitalCielo
2016-01-21, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm starting a new campaign, and seeing as 3PP was an option I'm trying my hands with a Psionic for the first time. The Wilder caught my attention just by sheer coolness factor. :P
However, I'm having some problems picking up feats and spells: with how limited both of those are, I'm afraid that I'll mess up.

Building rules are: All Paizo material, 25 point buy, Max Hp at every level, two traits(but one is a campaign trait), and Third Party material on a case by case basis. DSP stuff is usually always okay.
Starting at first level and we will end up at about 17.
As of now, the party is:
Strix Heavens Shaman (caster focused)
Skinwalker Barbarian, multiclassing into a PrC later
Human Steelbreaker Brawler
Dhampir Mysterious Stranger 'slinger
Human Urban Ranger (using a bow)
Elf Infiltrator Inquisitor

So far, my plan is:
Qlippoth Spawn Tiefling
Strength 16
Dexterity 12
Constitution 14
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 10
Charisma 17

Level Progression:
Full Wilder, except a single Dip at level 3 into Warlord for better proficiencies, an extra feat, and maneuvers. Picking the Psionic Knack feat to keep my ML up.

Feat Progression:
1st Level: Combat Reflexes
3rd level: Power Attack, Phalanx formation
5th level: Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct)
7th level: ??? (Surging Aura?)
9th Level: Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis)
11, 13, 15, 17: ???

Rage Powers:
I've got no idea. Come and get me?

Spell Selection:
1: Inevitable Strike, Mind Thrust
2: Swarm of Crystals
3: Energy Burst
4: Death Urge
5: Upheaval
6: Temporal Acceleration

I know that Qlippoth-Spawn isn't the most optimal heritage, but I'm picking it up for plot reasons: hey, I've got a bite attack, at least. ^^
I was planning to go with a Reach build, beating people up with my two-handed longstick, trying to surge every turn with Inevitable Strike, with some blasts for good measure (considering how good is Wilder at doing that).
But I'm really not sure about spells, or rage powers: I have no idea for the latter, and I think that with the former I should pick up something like Vigor or Body Adjustment to mitigate Psychic Enervation, but I don't know what to give up. :/

stack
2016-01-21, 11:16 AM
Warlord would be better at 5. Noninitiator levels count for half, so you could get 2nd level maneuvers that way. That is, unless the IL boosting trait is availible, then you could get 2nds at 3rd level.

DigitalCielo
2016-01-21, 02:09 PM
Got it. Is that trait from the playtest of Path of War Extended?

Anyone has any advice on spell/feat selection?

stack
2016-01-21, 09:19 PM
Got it. Is that trait from the playtest of Path of War Extended?

Anyone has any advice on spell/feat selection?

That trait is from PoW:E.

Not sure about mind thrust. The save: negates can be rough and it is limited by the mind affecting tag. I tend to like having vigor on anyone that can manifest it, but especially on melee. Could pass on it with a vitalist in the party, but doesn't look like you'll have one.

Not sure I would prioritize combat reflexes so highly with that low of Dex. Since you want reach I guess that means the beast totem rage powers are out. I'll leave someone else to comment on them.

17 is a lot of CHA is you are melee-focused.

DigitalCielo
2016-01-22, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm sold on Vigor: I'll pick that and Sure Strike as level one powers.

On the other hand, from my experience and what I've found around, 12-14 Dex is enough for Combat Reflexes: unless you go for the bloodrager build with turbo reach of whole rooms, you don't get more than 2 or 3 AoO per turn. Now that I think about it, there's a rage power that adds an extra AoO per turn, if I'm not mistaken: still, I think that just buying a Dex belt down the road will be enough.

Speaking of Rage Powers: considering I can pump up my to hit with Sure Strike, what about those Rage Powers that work with Maneuvers?
Savage Dirty Trick looks nice, along with Knockback and Impelling Disarm (we'll be fighting a lot of humans).