PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Contact?

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-14, 05:11 PM
There are several classes(blackgaurd, elemental savant, etc.) that require peaceful contact with a outsider of the appropriate type. Recently, I decided to make a warmage/elemental savant (not optimal, but I could care less), but I am now in a conundrum. Namely, what defines peaceful contact? Does summon count (I doubt it), or do you have use the Planar spells? If so, how would one approach that encounter?

I know I have tot alk to the DM about this, But I would like your opinions( If Indaer whats to tell me what he wants, however, that's fine too).

Cruiser1
2007-06-14, 05:16 PM
Well, as OOTS #419 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html) indicates, there's friendly contact with an evil outsider, and then there's "friendly contact" with an evil outsider. :smallwink:

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-14, 05:22 PM
Well, as OOTS #419 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html) indicates, there's friendly contact with an evil outsider, and then there's "friendly contact" with an evil outsider. :smallwink:

That brings a whole new meaning to Protection from evil. Though how would that work with elementals?
Guess I took "craft: Disturbing mental images" last level.

Saph
2007-06-14, 05:24 PM
There are several classes(blackgaurd, elemental savant, etc.) that require peaceful contact with a outsider of the appropriate type. Recently, I decided to make a warmage/elemental savant (not optimal, but I could care less), but I am now in a conundrum. Namely, what defines peaceful contact? Does summon count (I doubt it), or do you have use the Planar spells? If so, how would one approach that encounter?

One of the Planar Ally or Planar Binding spells would work. Alternately, you just go search around. There's bound to be a few demons or devils somewhere on the plane causing trouble, if you can find them.

I'd say that virtually any kind of conversation that doesn't end with you trying to kill each other would count as "peaceful contact". I think it's supposed to represent "orientation" - you can't be as evil as a Blackguard just by wanting to be, you need to be educated by an expert first. ;) Most devils and demons are more than happy to corrupt mortals, so you won't have much trouble persuading them to help you evilify yourself. Of course, if they smell weakness, they're likely to kill you in the process, but hey - what did you expect from an evil outsider?

- Saph

Fizban
2007-06-14, 05:42 PM
A scroll of lesser planar binding should work just fine. You might need a small bribe, but if all you're asking is to have a chat, it shouldn't be too expensive.

If your DM's amenable, you should be able to root out some rumors and fine one hanging around somewhere with some gather information checks.

Callix
2007-06-14, 05:51 PM
Problem is, you're looking for an elemental, not a demon or devil. Still, planar binding or planar ally should work. You don't even need to be the one casting, if they're not on your class list and you don't have UMD (Tisk tisk). Just have the chance to talk to a called outsider, and don't have him kill you, or oyu kill him. If combat does not start, that is peaceful contact.

jamroar
2007-06-14, 06:38 PM

I know I have tot alk to the DM about this, But I would like your opinions( If Indaer whats to tell me what he wants, however, that's fine too).

Up to the DM. But flavorwise, the "peaceful contact" should be along the lines of negotiating an alliance with the outsider. calling upon ancient racial oaths found in the secret lore of (insert prestige class here) for the outsider to grant you power, or in the case of the blackguard, pledging your soul over to evil.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-14, 06:49 PM
If you want it in game terms, I'd say any encounter that ends with neither party having an attitude of "Hostile" with respect to the other is Peaceful.

Though I suppose even an "Unfriendly" attitude could complicate matters.