PDA

View Full Version : How to set up an adventure for odd class combination

Digitalfruitz
2016-01-21, 11:26 AM
Hello all, I thought I should post here a question about building an adventure for an odd class combination. I know how to build an adventure for the standard group (wizard, rogue, fighter, and cleric). But I'm struggling to come up with an adventure for my group (mesmerist rogue, swashbuckler, spelless bard variant, spelless summoner variant)

Sky
2016-01-21, 12:53 PM
The main thing to keep in mind is what your group is good at, and what the CR ratings assume about a group. For example, golems are immune to most magic, so they would be really hard for an all-sorcerer group to handle. A group of exclusively martial characters would have a much easier time (Assuming they could get past the DR). The CR for golems assumes the primary casters are going to be less helpful than normal, and increases the CR accordingly.

You also want to think about how the PCs will heal. Wands and the Use Magic Device skill will work fairly well, but eventually the players will want some way for them to have access to the Restoration line of spells and resurrection magic.

For this group, I'd say maybe a pirate or coastal theme. Lots of opportunities to use skills, fits the flavor of lightly-armored Dex-based characters, and gives you opportunities for long rests (on uneventful ship rides or in port) for the PCs to heal.

Digitalfruitz
2016-01-21, 01:15 PM
Thank you for your comment Sky, that sounds like the way to go. The problem I'm running into is that this is going to be played in the fallout universe so that would rule out the whole pirates idea

Sky
2016-01-21, 02:44 PM
Hmmm. The apocalypse does tend to put a damper on people's enthusiasm for overseas trading....

Boats with wheels? :smalltongue:

I don't know a lot about Fallout, honestly. Maybe overland caravans or couriers? Bandits?

Digitalfruitz
2016-01-21, 06:55 PM
I was thinking maybe they could be some kind of cattle herders, the only problem is I don't know how to make that interesting for them

TheMiningDwarf
2016-01-23, 11:26 AM
Hungry wolves attack! Cattle rustling bandits? Quests to find medicine for the sick npcs in the area. I don't know anything at all about fallout but that's what I thought of when I read that they'd be cattle herders. If they're herders that means a lot of traveling out to pasture and back again, if this is in the apocalypse I could see the trips being rife with things for them to randomly encounter.