PDA

View Full Version : Spell to learn at level 6 for a Sorcerer

Pigkappa
2016-01-21, 12:13 PM
Hello everyone, I am playing a Wild Magic Tiefling Sorcerer in a D&D 5e campaign and I just got to level 6. The group is not very optimised, and I am the only spellcaster (the others are Fighter, Monk, Rogue). I have never played D&D 5e and need advice on a new spell I have to pick.

My spells for now are Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Suggestion, Shatter, Counterspell. I have a Hat of Disguise, a Web of Wand that can cast that spell a lot of times (1d6+1 per day), and in the group we have plenty of Dust of Disappearance plus one scroll of Invisibility.

Both for effectiveness and RP, I intend to pick Fireball as new spell. This would just suggest trading out the less powerful Shatter for something else, but I can't quite figure out what. Typical advice includes Hold Person or Blindness/Deafness; while these are not bad, I can cast Web for free and it kind of serves the same purpose. Mirror Image is also not a bad spell but I already have a lot of spells which have been picked to keep me alive, and would like to be able to contribute in some other way. Most of the spells I like are level 3 (for some reason Gaseous Form tempts me for scouting/eavesdropping; there's also Haste, and Dispel Magic), but there's only so many level 3 spells I can cast in a day. Do you have any advice?

Additional information: my Cantrips are Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Friends, Message, Minor Illusion. I have the Criminal background, skills include Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Stealth. My metamagic feats are Quickened Spell (the DM currently allows two spells to be cast in the same turn, but I try to not abuse this) and Subtle Spell. I have the Ritual Casting feat for Identify and Detect Magic. The price is that I have sub-par Charisma (+3 modifier).

Socratov
2016-01-21, 02:09 PM
Get Dispell Magic.

This is so much a staple for spellcasters and can mean the world. Fighting an invisible enemy? Dispell magic and he's visible again. Someone of your party stuck by a spell effect? dispel magic will take care of that. Arcane Lock? Dispel magic.

Another great spell to pick is Haste: twin it on the martials and see them wreck stuff.

EvilAnagram
2016-01-21, 02:25 PM
There's a Sorcerer guide in my signature with ratings for all Sorcerer spells.

For your specific query, I would say Scorching Ray for direct damage, Phantasmal Force for damage and a little extra to play with, Enlarge/Reduce to buff/debuff, Mirror Image to never get hit, or Misty Step because teleporting is awesome.

These are all second level, like Shatter.

eastmabl
2016-01-21, 02:30 PM
Get Dispell Magic.

This is so much a staple for spellcasters and can mean the world. Fighting an invisible enemy? Dispell magic and he's visible again. Someone of your party stuck by a spell effect? dispel magic will take care of that. Arcane Lock? Dispel magic.

Another great spell to pick is Haste: twin it on the martials and see them wreck stuff.

With limited spells known, I find that the spell scaling is the most important thing to focus on with sorcerers.

Dispel magic is great because the spell keeps on scaling - you automatically have an option for 4th, 5th, 6th, etc spell slots. Also, the problem of the "invisible enemy" can be huge problem if you don't have see invisibility.

While haste doesn't scale, it's also just a really good spell to have. As Socratov says, twin it and go to town.

Scorching ray is also pretty good because it scales well. If you use invisibility before casting SR, you get advantage on all your attacks. This, combined with empower spell metamagic, can be a grand ol' time.

I would recommend dropping counterspell, to be honest. If you face a lot of spellcasters as bad guys, it might be helpful, but otherwise it takes away a spell that you could know for something else.

Vogonjeltz
2016-01-22, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone, I am playing a Wild Magic Tiefling Sorcerer in a D&D 5e campaign and I just got to level 6. The group is not very optimised, and I am the only spellcaster (the others are Fighter, Monk, Rogue). I have never played D&D 5e and need advice on a new spell I have to pick.

My spells for now are Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Suggestion, Shatter, Counterspell. I have a Hat of Disguise, a Web of Wand that can cast that spell a lot of times (1d6+1 per day), and in the group we have plenty of Dust of Disappearance plus one scroll of Invisibility.

Both for effectiveness and RP, I intend to pick Fireball as new spell. This would just suggest trading out the less powerful Shatter for something else, but I can't quite figure out what. Typical advice includes Hold Person or Blindness/Deafness; while these are not bad, I can cast Web for free and it kind of serves the same purpose. Mirror Image is also not a bad spell but I already have a lot of spells which have been picked to keep me alive, and would like to be able to contribute in some other way. Most of the spells I like are level 3 (for some reason Gaseous Form tempts me for scouting/eavesdropping; there's also Haste, and Dispel Magic), but there's only so many level 3 spells I can cast in a day. Do you have any advice?

Additional information: my Cantrips are Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Friends, Message, Minor Illusion. I have the Criminal background, skills include Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Stealth. My metamagic feats are Quickened Spell (the DM currently allows two spells to be cast in the same turn, but I try to not abuse this) and Subtle Spell. I have the Ritual Casting feat for Identify and Detect Magic. The price is that I have sub-par Charisma (+3 modifier).

If you're going to swap, I'd avoid picking up that third 3rd level spell for the exact reason you give, you can only cast 3.

That being said, the ability to convert spells into points and back into spells means that you could always convert 2 second level slots and a first level slot into points and then back into a third level slot. If you're that set on casting alot of 3rd level spells.

I don't know that I'd actually replace shatter, since you wouldn't have an offensive use for that level of slot anymore beyond an upscaled 1st level spell. Maybe something with utility or defense like blur, invisiblity, mirror image, misty step, or anything that doesn't rely on your casting stat for a save or attack roll.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-22, 03:53 AM
While haste doesn't scale, it's also just a really good spell to have. As Socratov says, twin it and go to town.

Haste isn't that great of a spell for him. Fighters, Rogues, and Monks already do good damage and haste doesn't really add to what they can do. More damage isn't really anything they need to worry about.

Twinning Enlarge on the Fighter and one other would be more beneficial as advantage to strength checks (athletics) is straight up nice and the bonus damage is a neat bonus.

Plus the RP is just so much fun with the enlarge spell.

OP, have you looked into Erupting Earth? Really great spell that doubles as a area denying spell. Really great RP with subtle spell.