PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is this a solid enough plot? (Dragons)

Pinjata
2016-01-21, 02:48 PM
There are two huge forests, divided by a large plain. Each forest is ruled by a dragon (dragon A, dragon B). Nearby there are small human settlements and far away is large human town, a major trading hub, place of fighter guilds, paladins... Region is split between dragons, each with his own mercenary armies, spies, assassins, personal casters and each with a tribe of fanaticly zealous kobolds that serve them like gods. Both profit greatly from their part of the region. Then, dragon A figures out dragon B is dabbling in something funny. Dragon B's minions recently emit ever more "demonic traits" and with some more investigation dragon A has a plan of unleashing a demon lord into the world and fusing with him. Not exactly sure about it, dragon A entangles PCs into his spying plans and wants to draw attention of large city to dragon B to have it destroyed since none of the dragons want to duke it out in a risky one-one fight.

Does this sound logical?

LibraryOgre
2016-01-21, 03:30 PM
Sounds pretty reasonable. You'll need to flesh it out, but "Dragon uses intermediaries to hire adventurers to thwart another dragon's plans" is a good option.

JAL_1138
2016-01-21, 03:47 PM
There are two huge forests, divided by a large plain. Each forest is ruled by a dragon (dragon A, dragon B). Nearby there are small human settlements and far away is large human town, a major trading hub, place of fighter guilds, paladins... Region is split between dragons, each with his own mercenary armies, spies, assassins, personal casters and each with a tribe of fanaticly zealous kobolds that serve them like gods. Both profit greatly from their part of the region. Then, dragon A figures out dragon B is dabbling in something funny. Dragon B's minions recently emit ever more "demonic traits" and with some more investigation dragon A has a plan of unleashing a demon lord into the world and fusing with him. Not exactly sure about it, dragon A entangles PCs into his spying plans and wants to draw attention of large city to dragon B to have it destroyed since none of the dragons want to duke it out in a risky one-one fight.

Does this sound logical?

Just checking, you meant Dragon B there, right?

(Although Dragon A also having that plan, seeing that Dragon B might've beaten Dragon A to it and had some bad or at least interesting consequences, and wanting more intel and to take out the competition before proceeding, that could be interesting too.)

I generally suggest having the PCs be the ones to carry out the resolution in some form or fashion, rather than having them call on bigger forces (unless they're commanding them, or those bigger forces are fighting in the background while the PCs themselves handle some critical aspect, preferably but not necessarily the BBEG themselves). Still, on the whole, it's a pretty reasonable setup...assuming you can get the PCs to work for the dragon, which can be more difficult than you'd think.

Especially if there are any Shadowrun veterans in the group. "Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

Pinjata
2016-01-21, 03:52 PM
I meant B :smalleek:

CombatBunny
2016-01-21, 04:01 PM
Sounds like a pretty neat start point =)

If I may add a contribution for a funny plot twist:

B is actually into nothing, the demonic traits of his minions are due to some unrelated reason (should think of one).

Dragon A doesn’t has any idea on how to unleash any demon lord, he just has spread that rumor because he feels nervous about dragon's B workings.

Dragon’s A investigations has lead dragon B to think that Dragon A is into something (maybe the supposedly demon awakening), so dragon B sends spies to investigate dragon A.

Slowly the tension between dragons will grow and their actions and bluffing will become more pedantic and daring, until a possible war between dragons might arise due to well… mere rumors and speculations.

P.S. Don't reveal beforehand that the PC's are working for a dragon, it all can begin as a small conflict between two factions that will slowly grow and get out of control.

Pinjata
2016-01-21, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a pretty neat start point =)

If I may add a contribution for a funny plot twist:

B is actually into nothing, the demonic traits of his minions are due to some unrelated reason (should think of one).

Dragon A doesn’t has any idea on how to unleash any demon lord, he just has spread that rumor because he feels nervous about dragon's B workings.

Dragon’s A investigations has lead dragon B to think that Dragon A is into something (maybe the supposedly demon awakening), so dragon B sends spies to investigate dragon A.

Slowly the tension between dragons will grow and their actions and bluffing will become more pedantic and daring, until a possible war between dragons might arise due to well… mere rumors and speculations.

P.S. Don't reveal beforehand that the PC's are working for a dragon, it all can begin as a small conflict between two factions that will slowly grow and get out of control.

This sounds kind of funny and i'm not really into that vibe. But I'm thinking ... how about B eventually confides to A that he is scared of these powers and they go together against the demons? I like OH **** feel.

Douche
2016-01-21, 04:56 PM
I laughed at the topic title, cuz I imagined there was no body to the post.

It was simply "Is this a solid enough plot? 'DRAGONS'" possibly with a flourish of your hands

(sorry, not trying to belittle your plot. It was just a great mental picture)

LibraryOgre
2016-01-21, 05:12 PM
I laughed at the topic title, cuz I imagined there was no body to the post.

It was simply "Is this a solid enough plot? 'DRAGONS'" possibly with a flourish of your hands

(sorry, not trying to belittle your plot. It was just a great mental picture)

"I'm not saying it's aliens... but it was aliens." :smallbiggrin:

NRSASD
2016-01-21, 05:45 PM
Looks good! Only question I have is how do the small human settlements interact with the dragons? I imagine the big one just ignores the two dragons, but do the smaller settlements worship them? Pay taxes to them? Have dragon-proof bomb shelters?

nedz
2016-01-21, 06:13 PM
More possible twists:

Left Field:
Dragon A isn't really into the Demon thing, it's just some Fey running a prank.

Moral Quandary:
Dragon A is summoning Demons, but only because he has a Devil cult he has no other way of countering.
The Demons will be done away with once the Devil cult is gone.

Hidden threat:
An Enchantress, disguised as a Demon, has beguiled the Dragon and is the real threat.

Lampshade:
The "Demons" are really Celestials.

Unreliable Quest giver:
Dragon B is the one who has really summoned the Demons. These have infiltrated Dragon A's forces and are trying to turn them against A.

Xanatos:
All of the above.

Kane0
2016-01-21, 07:17 PM
Small plot hole, why would the dragons be escalating hostilities as soon as they find out that their speculation was unfounded? Whenever the PCs (or anyone else in the spy network) find out and relay that the whole demon thing is just a rumor, what reason would they have to go from cold war status to outright confrontation?

goto124
2016-01-21, 08:54 PM
but do the smaller settlements worship them? Pay taxes to them? Have dragon-proof bomb shelters?

All of the above.

Pinjata
2016-01-22, 05:26 AM
Looks good! Only question I have is how do the small human settlements interact with the dragons? I imagine the big one just ignores the two dragons, but do the smaller settlements worship them? Pay taxes to them? Have dragon-proof bomb shelters?
I imagined small settlements paying small protection money - and actually getting protection for it. They can till the fields and trade in peace. No kobolds/gnolls/bandits to pesk them. In my setting powerful dragons are exceptionally covert. Yeah, they might not be easy to kill, but no reason to let anyone powerful enough do that. Also, illusions galore. (an illusion of a dragon conversing with anyone that gets that close in the first place)

MrZJunior
2016-01-22, 06:07 AM
One of them is not actually a dragon, but a bunch of kobolds with a really convincing puppet.

JAL_1138
2016-01-22, 07:50 AM
One of them is not actually a dragon, but a bunch of kobolds with a really convincing puppet.

...like a certain mysterious definitely-not-a-goddess entity who may or may not be six giant squirrels with a headdress, a robe, and a ring of levitation... :smalltongue:

CombatBunny
2016-01-22, 11:49 AM
Small plot hole, why would the dragons be escalating hostilities as soon as they find out that their speculation was unfounded? Whenever the PCs (or anyone else in the spy network) find out and relay that the whole demon thing is just a rumor, what reason would they have to go from cold war status to outright confrontation?

That's a very good observation =)

Maybe the GM should try to prepare situations so that on the very early stages of the adventure, agents of dragons A and B make considerable damage to their counterpart interests (while doing their “investigations”), so that even when the rumors have been disclosed, there is damage already done, physical an moral.

Dragons being so arrogant and proud will refuse to repair damages and give apologize, but at the same time that’s what each dragon will be demanding from the other.

But yes, even with this scenario the campaign risks ending very soon if PCs manage to put the dragons on good terms. Maybe the GM would be wise to have a backup plan in which a third force comes into play.

nedz
2016-01-22, 02:37 PM
Small plot hole, why would the dragons be escalating hostilities as soon as they find out that their speculation was unfounded? Whenever the PCs (or anyone else in the spy network) find out and relay that the whole demon thing is just a rumour, what reason would they have to go from cold war status to outright confrontation?

So as not to lose Face.