PDA

View Full Version : Animated Tower Shield?

cubecrazymonkey
2007-06-14, 05:46 PM
In the DMG, one of the magical abilities that can be applied to a shield is the Animated effect. It causes a shield to fly from the bearer's hands, circling around them and still granting them the shield's bonuses but freeing up the hands. The DMG doesn't list anything about how long the effect lasts, and my group has also reasoned that because the shield is not actually on a character, it's AC penalty and spell failure % can be ignored.

I've given this effect to a tower shield used by a multiclass character, predominantly Rogue with a splash of Wizard and Master of Masks. He otherwise has no proficiency with shields, but it's a magical shield that's not actually wielded by him so we reasoned it's bonuses still apply. This shield (+6 when flying, +10 when stopped and used for full cover) combined with a couple of magic items and a high dex bonus have made my AC very nearly as high as the party's barbarian and fighter. I easily see the potential for abuse with this, but my character would otherwise have such low HP that the DM has allowed it.

Even though we've okayed it by house rules, my question is whether the application of the magic effect and the way I'm using it adheres to the actual Rules as Written.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-14, 05:55 PM
The DMG doesn't list anything about how long the effect lasts, and my group has also reasoned that because the shield is not actually on a character, it's AC penalty and spell failure % can be ignored.

Just a note, (I know it's your Houserule but) I'm almost sure the DMG notes that you do count the Armor Check Penalty even with Animated shields.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-14, 05:56 PM
Yeah, here we go, SRD:

"Animated: Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency."

It's a fair (enough) Houserule though.

Like a Lion
2007-06-14, 05:57 PM
Even though we've okayed it by house rules, my question is whether the application of the magic effect and the way I'm using it adheres to the actual Rules as Written.

Heck no! Just read the text of the Animated ability--it explicitly says that all those penalties apply just as though you were holding it.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-14, 06:00 PM
And along with the nonproficiency:

"A character who is using a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the shield’s armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride."

So that's two sources of penalties, some stacking:smallfrown:

cubecrazymonkey
2007-06-14, 06:01 PM
Mm, so apparently I failed to read the full description. Go me! That's the joy of only having access to most of the books at the DM's place.

Jasdoif
2007-06-14, 06:04 PM
That's the joy of only having access to most of the books at the DM's place.You can check the SRD online (http://www.d20srd.org/). The bit about animated shields is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated).

Matthew
2007-06-14, 06:16 PM
Yep, Animated Tower Shields are pure evil in the Combat Style Balance War. Along with Power Attack it effectively rendered Weapon and Shield absolutely useless past Level X. Unsurprisingly, many Dungeon Masters reputedly choose to outlaw the Animated Shield via a House Rule.

DreadArchon
2007-06-14, 08:25 PM
Unsurprisingly, many Dungeon Masters reputedly choose to outlaw the Animated Shield via a House Rule.
Feh, those DM's are too reactive. The rules have enough of these problems that they balance out--I just shake my head and sigh when I see a DM saying that (1) Melee characters are too weak compared to mages and (2) Dancing is banned. Well of course melee characters are weak without their gear, the game is balanced with that intended.

And yes, my game has two characters who dual-wield, double-hand, and shield (scythe + dancing tower + armor spikes; greataxe + dancing tower + armor spikes), so I have enough experience to assert that it works fine.

Then again, I recently had two PC's of level 12 with appropriate wealth per levle who, without using their Action Points, nearly killed a CR 33 Ultroloth Cleric I threw at them...

ocato
2007-06-14, 08:53 PM
I probably would houserule that spell failure or check do not apply, but without proficiency, the shield simply cannot be activated.

Matthew
2007-06-14, 09:00 PM
Feh, those DM's are too reactive. The rules have enough of these problems that they balance out--I just shake my head and sigh when I see a DM saying that (1) Melee characters are too weak compared to mages and (2) Dancing is banned. Well of course melee characters are weak without their gear, the game is balanced with that intended.

And yes, my game has two characters who dual-wield, double-hand, and shield (scythe + dancing tower + armor spikes; greataxe + dancing tower + armor spikes), so I have enough experience to assert that it works fine.

Then again, I recently had two PC's of level 12 with appropriate wealth per levle who, without using their Action Points, nearly killed a CR 33 Ultroloth Cleric I threw at them...
Hah, hah. Yes, well, it's not usually House Ruled out for being too powerful, as I understand it, as much as being very, very lame.