PDA

View Full Version : New Metamagic: Panzootic Spell

Sky
2016-01-21, 03:51 PM
Panzootic Spell (Metamagic)
You have learned how to alter more than just humanoids with your transmutation magic.
Benefit: A panzootic spell can affect any living creature, not just humanoids. A panzootic spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.
Special: Only Transmutation spells that normally target humanoids can be panzootic spells.

This is mostly intended for all the races that currently can't be buffed by Enlarge Person, etc. Also helps all the classes whose capstones change the character's creature type.
I don't think it should cause any horrible balance issues, but if I've missed something, please let me know.

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 04:10 PM
This is 5e, right? If so, this needs the 5e tag.

A pretty nice metamagic feature. I like it.

Sky
2016-01-21, 04:14 PM
This is 5e, right? If so, this needs the 5e tag.

I actually meant for it to be for Pathfinder/3.5, but if it works for 5e too then great!

A pretty nice metamagic feature. I like it.

Thanks. I figured it wasn't fair to leave all the people who decided to play an unusual race unbuffable.

Xerlith
2016-01-21, 04:15 PM
You may want to edit "hominoids" to humanoids. Because "hominid" is the other option and it doesn't make sense rules-wise.

Arkanist
2016-01-21, 04:24 PM
Hold Person is a 2nd-3rd level spell. Dominate Person is a 5th level spell. Using this metamagic, one could replicate Hold Monster and Dominate Monster, 5th and 9th level respectively, as several level slots lower.

If the intent was to allow for more buffing, Panzootic Spell should specify that it can only be used with beneficial spells.

Sky
2016-01-21, 04:29 PM
You may want to edit "hominoids" to humanoids. Because "hominid" is the other option and it doesn't make sense rules-wise.

Right. Yes.

Hold Person is a 2nd-3rd level spell. Dominate Person is a 5th level spell. Using this metamagic, one could replicate Hold Monster and Dominate Monster, 5th and 9th level respectively, as several level slots lower.

If the intent was to allow for more buffing, Panzootic Spell should specify that it can only be used with beneficial spells.

Hold Person and Dominate Person are Enchantment spells, not Transmutation spells. Panzootic Spell is limited to Transmutation spells.

Zaydos
2016-01-21, 04:39 PM
So it affects a grand total of 7 spells between the 3.5 PHB and Spell Compendium. Of these 6 are variations on Enlarge/Reduce and one is part Dominate Person part turn someone into a spider and only on a fairly obscure domain.

The feat most likely won't break anything. Of course I'd just make Enlarge Monster/Reduce Monster as 3rd level spells and be done with it, but failing that, I'd just make the feat let you affect any creature with Enlarge/Reduce Person without increasing the spell level.

Sky
2016-01-21, 05:21 PM
Hmmm... I originally made it for Pathfinder, which has a few more transmutation spells that only affect humanoids. Looking through the rulebooks again, though, there aren't as many as I thought. I would say the small number of spells affected would make taking the feat enough of an expense by itself, but Enlarge Person is a pretty useful spell to be able to cast on things like summoned monsters and animal companions. There's also the increased usefulness of Reduce Person, now that it can bring pretty much anything down to size. Using it as a +0 metamagic spell could work, though. I'm on the fence.