PDA

View Full Version : intelegent magic item campain

Lightlawbliss
2016-01-21, 05:08 PM
Has anyone here run a campaign where the PC's are Intelligent Magic items? I am trying to figure out if this works and, if it does, if any changes to the normal rules are required. I was figuring the PCs would be picked up by some unremarkable orphans to provide them movement at first and they could "upgrade" from there.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-21, 05:13 PM
The Fiend of Possession PrC (Fiend Folio) might provide some inspiration?

nedz
2016-01-21, 06:00 PM
I had someone who got turned into an intelligent helmet once — long story — but that was AD&D.

It didn't really work out too well, but that was partly the player.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your players all sign up for it.

Also, what happens if they get thrown in the bin ?

Red Fel
2016-01-21, 08:45 PM
Has anyone here run a campaign where the PC's are Intelligent Magic items? I am trying to figure out if this works and, if it does, if any changes to the normal rules are required. I was figuring the PCs would be picked up by some unremarkable orphans to provide them movement at first and they could "upgrade" from there.

Here's the thing. Let's assume the PCs are the lowest-tier intelligent items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm), so that we have room to upgrade. They are immobile, and can see and hear within 30 feet. They are also mute, capable only of expressing general feelings of approval or disapproval. They don't get the power of speech until two "upgrades" later, at which point they can also communicate telepathically with their wielders. So for a long time, your players aren't actually talking. They're not even communicating complete thoughts. You want to run a dialogue consisting of "I picture pain," "I picture hugs," "I picture scary teeth," and so on?

Even assuming the PCs can communicate with their wielders, you face the fact that the PCs can't actually do anything themselves. True, the item uses its powers itself, whatever those powers may be. But unless an Ego Conflict occurs, the item is unable to do anything more than encourage the wielder to take a given course of action.

In other words, if the wielder is obedient, the PCs basically have to give constant instructions to their wielders. Instead of "I climb the cliff," it's "I instruct my idiot to climb the cliff." Instead of "I interrogate the bartender," it's "I instruct my idiot to get information from the bartender." The PCs can take no direct action.

On the other hand, the PCs can take over, to a limited extent, if the wielders are insubordinate. Of course, the wielders have to fail a Will save.

So, either the wielders are agreeable, in which case the game consists of the player saying what his character tells an NPC to do, or the wielders are not agreeable, in which case the game consists of constant opposed Ego checks followed by the PC actually doing what he wanted to do all along.

It just seems a bit too messy to me to be feasible.

FocusWolf413
2016-01-21, 11:39 PM
Here's the thing. Let's assume the PCs are the lowest-tier intelligent items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm), so that we have room to upgrade. They are immobile, and can see and hear within 30 feet. They are also mute, capable only of expressing general feelings of approval or disapproval. They don't get the power of speech until two "upgrades" later, at which point they can also communicate telepathically with their wielders. So for a long time, your players aren't actually talking. They're not even communicating complete thoughts. You want to run a dialogue consisting of "I picture pain," "I picture hugs," "I picture scary teeth," and so on?

Even assuming the PCs can communicate with their wielders, you face the fact that the PCs can't actually do anything themselves. True, the item uses its powers itself, whatever those powers may be. But unless an Ego Conflict occurs, the item is unable to do anything more than encourage the wielder to take a given course of action.

In other words, if the wielder is obedient, the PCs basically have to give constant instructions to their wielders. Instead of "I climb the cliff," it's "I instruct my idiot to climb the cliff." Instead of "I interrogate the bartender," it's "I instruct my idiot to get information from the bartender." The PCs can take no direct action.

On the other hand, the PCs can take over, to a limited extent, if the wielders are insubordinate. Of course, the wielders have to fail a Will save.

So, either the wielders are agreeable, in which case the game consists of the player saying what his character tells an NPC to do, or the wielders are not agreeable, in which case the game consists of constant opposed Ego checks followed by the PC actually doing what he wanted to do all along.

It just seems a bit too messy to me to be feasible.

Well, that's if they play intelligent items as per the rules. Fluffwise, there's a lot of ways to play intelligent items, yet remain viable. You just need to be a little loose with the rules.

I think the best way to do it would be to let the PCs take levels in a casting class. Things like warlock, all psionic classes, warmage, beguiler, sorcerer, cleric, etc could work perfectly. Just ignore somatic spell components and cast normally. It could be justified by saying that all of the PCs were once great and powerful casters, but _______ and _______ happened, so their minds and souls were bound to magic items. Over time, they learned to control the items and use their magic to influence the outside world. Starting at level 5ish would work well too, as it shows how they're slowly able to unlock more of their power.

Lightlawbliss
2016-01-22, 01:31 AM
Well, that's if they play intelligent items as per the rules. Fluffwise, there's a lot of ways to play intelligent items, yet remain viable. You just need to be a little loose with the rules.

I think the best way to do it would be to let the PCs take levels in a casting class. Things like warlock, all psionic classes, warmage, beguiler, sorcerer, cleric, etc could work perfectly. Just ignore somatic spell components and cast normally. It could be justified by saying that all of the PCs were once great and powerful casters, but _______ and _______ happened, so their minds and souls were bound to magic items. Over time, they learned to control the items and use their magic to influence the outside world. Starting at level 5ish would work well too, as it shows how they're slowly able to unlock more of their power.

With your suggestion, are you imagining them being similar to animated objects for bodies?

JyP
2016-01-22, 08:38 AM
Has anyone here run a campaign where the PC's are Intelligent Magic items?
There's a french roleplaying-game centered around this : Bloodlust (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodlust_%28roleplaying_game%29).

Mechanically wise, with D&D 3.5, I think you should heavily use Weapons of Legacy here. Normally items of legacy evolve with their wielder - but they can have their own xp pool.

FocusWolf413
2016-01-22, 01:37 PM
With your suggestion, are you imagining them being similar to animated objects for bodies?

No. I'm imagining that they are worn items that don't move on their own. They just cast spells and influence their wearer.