PDA

View Full Version : The Omega Virus; Star Wars Interactive Video Board Game; Marvel Super Heros Game

Ditto
2007-06-14, 05:54 PM
Does anyone remember these three old board games? I found them when clearing out my basement storage room, and they're loads of fun.

The Omega Virus has a talking 'command computer', who knows in which of several dozen rooms on a spacestation the Omega Virus is hiding. You have to explore to find weapons, and eventually challenge the Virus. It's brilliant - but my set just died! Fresh batteries and everything, kaput! 15 years since I got it, but things shouldn't die like that...

Star Wars Interactive Video Board Game places you in the role of a minor Jedi Rebel who has snuck onto the Death Star with your trusty R2, 30 minutes before they get into range of Yavin. You run around a ring of rooms, planting explosive chips and dodging a stormtrooper token (whom you play Rock Paper Scissors against if you land on the same space - lose, and you go to the detention center!). It comes with a video tape, and Darth Vader occassionally talks to you. He threatens you, asking you to give up, periodically clears your explosives from certain rooms, and informs you of prison breaks - freeing your captured character. Halfway through the game, whoever has the most 'Dark Side points' becomes Darth Vader's apprentice and goes around challenging the other players to RPS and clearing explosives, making the game significantly harder. I don't actually have the rules for the game, so if anyone remembers this and could help refresh my memory it would be great.

The Marvel Super Heros Game - Superheroes as two words, 'Heroes' misspelled - has you moving around a board, collecting Marvel superheroes to your team to use in capturing various villains by basically betting on which face of a die will come up. Thing is, several of my hero and villain cards are missing. I notice they're all the characters with whom I was familiar around the time I got this game - early 90s, right when the X-Men cartoon came out. Obviously, I had no idea how to play the game and just had fun with those cards, now lost forever. Does anyone remember this game, and remember some of the characters who are supposed to be in it?

Also, I have a game called X-Men: Under Siege! The X-Mansion has been taken over by villains of various strengths, and you assemble a team from 18 X-Men figurines to ferret them out. It's a horribly complicated RPG sort of board game, with 70-odd rooms and a lot of strategy involved. Far to advanced for me when I was 10 or 12 or whatever, and I'm sort of curious if anyone has heard of it and thinks it might be worth trying out.

[/oldboardgamerant]

TheThan
2007-06-14, 06:13 PM
I remember the Omega Virus. That game was so utterly annoying we only played it a few times. I’ve never played the other ones though.

2007-06-14, 07:22 PM
I liked Omega Virus.

EVer play Atmosphere?

I saw a new DvD version where they spelled it Atmosfear.

Ditto
2007-06-15, 01:06 PM
No, never heard of Atmosphere/fear. Omega Virus was wonderful, once you figured out how to play it. My brother and I would run to the different rooms and the console kept saying "Access Denied!" because we didn't have the right keycards. We thought it was busted. :smalltongue: Oh, ten-year-olds.

I'm really hoping someone knows about the SW game. It's so much fun, but I can't find anything useful on the Internet about it - obviously, it's one of those throwaway tie-in products that no one really cares about. It's still a great game. :smallsmile: