PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Demiplane and Plane Shift

Levism84
2016-01-21, 11:00 PM
If a character casts demiplane, can they return to that same demiplane by casting plane shift? While they would require a unique material component (a forked, metal rod worth at least 250 gp, attuned to a particular plane of existence), I was just wondering if it would still work with a demiplane? Or, would the character have to cast teleportation circle on the same location within the demiplane everyday for a year in order to create a permanent teleportation circle to use with plane shift?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-21, 11:40 PM
If a character casts demiplane, can they return to that same demiplane by casting plane shift? While they would require a unique material component (a forked, metal rod worth at least 250 gp, attuned to a particular plane of existence), I was just wondering if it would still work with a demiplane? Or, would the character have to cast teleportation circle on the same location within the demiplane everyday for a year in order to create a permanent teleportation circle to use with plane shift?

Well, RAW, I don't think you can use Plane Shift to get directly to your demiplane as it isn't an entirely different plane of existence but well a demiplane. Unless you wasn't on the plane of existence that you cast the demiplane from...

As a DM I don't have a problem with it though.

Best bet would be to use a teleportation circle and then plane shift... I think.

RulesJD
2016-01-22, 03:36 AM

"Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell."

Why wouldn't you just cast Demiplane again?

rollingForInit
2016-01-22, 04:15 AM
"Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell."

Why wouldn't you just cast Demiplane again?

Demiplane is an 8th level spell slots. Plane Shift is a 7th level spell.

Shaofoo
2016-01-22, 08:57 AM
Unless you have a metal rod attuned to the Demiplane you can't Plane Shift into your Demiplane. This goes for all planes, you need a particular rod to be able to go to a particular plane. So you could Plane Shift into someone else's Demiplane if you were to find an attuned rod to that Demiplane.

Also I don't see the point in inscribing a teleport circle, the teleport circle only gives you an exact location to plane shift to as opposed to a random location in the general area that you want to go (general area can include hundreds of miles), it does not make plane shift any easier to cast or eschew material components. So unless you don't want to accidentally step in somewhere in your demiplane to warrant a teleport circle I wouldn't worry about it.

RulesJD
2016-01-22, 10:27 AM
Demiplane is an 8th level spell slots. Plane Shift is a 7th level spell.

What are you trying to do where you can't just take a long rest and get back to your Demiplane?

One method would be to have a Clone setup in your Demiplane and then kill yourself.

Tanarii
2016-01-22, 10:46 AM
Yes you can. The PHB explicitly calls out Plane Shifting in the section on Demiplanes in the Multiverse Appendix.

joelh
2019-03-12, 12:29 AM
You would need an alternate way to get to a demiplane if you wanted to bring something in that would fit in the plane but was too big to fit through the door.