PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] So my wizard has become the party face

Arathorn
2016-01-21, 11:05 PM
Though a combination of good roleplaying and a complete lack of charisma based characters, my wizard has become the face of the party. Thus far I've been able to get by by roleplaying out scenarios and being insanely prepared, but I know one day soon I'll be called onto make a persuasion check I know I will fail. What can I do to prepare for the eventuality?

Potentially relevent stats:

Wizard 6/Master Transmogrifist 6

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 25 (+7)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 10 (+0)

No points in Persuasion, four in bluff

nine skill points and a feat available, although I'm hoping to use that for the spell focus I need to unlock future Archmage levels.

(Un)Inspired
2016-01-22, 12:08 AM
Cast Lesser planar binding using every available slot every day for several days. Bind a bunch of creatures with good face skills. Have on of them do all you face stuff for your party will the rest of them use the aid another action on it to boost it's skills to insane levels.

Platymus Pus
2016-01-22, 12:41 AM
Potion of glibness for bluff I believe.

Malroth
2016-01-22, 01:29 AM
buy a Potion of eagles splendor and a Circlet of persuasion, cast planar binding with a dimensional anchor for a succubus. Bestow curse her for -6 CHA and Give her an Impossible Geass for a cumulative CHA penalty untill she agrees to serve as the party's diplomat for a year in exchange for the life energy of some evil guys you captured and the circlet.

Inevitability
2016-01-22, 04:00 AM
Learn and prepare Voice of the Dragon. It gives a huge bonus on social skills, and if you want to you can end the spell to create a Suggestion.

It also lets you speak draconic, if you can't already do so.

Eldariel
2016-01-22, 04:29 AM
buy a Potion of eagles splendor and a Circlet of persuasion, cast planar binding with a dimensional anchor for a succubus. Bestow curse her for -6 CHA and Give her an Impossible Geass for a cumulative CHA penalty untill she agrees to serve as the party's diplomat for a year in exchange for the life energy of some evil guys you captured and the circlet.

A Wizard would almost certainly prefer just casting Eagle's Splendor himself given it's on his spell list. No reason to bother with Scrolls, let alone Potions.

Also, yeah, there are some feats that help with this. If you happen to be Exalted, Nymph's Kiss [BoED] is a pretty good starting point with extra skill points and bonus to Charisma-checks. Persuasion is not a skill in 3.5, but if you're thinking of Diplomacy, Ruathar [Races of the Wild] would make it a class skill for you. Keen Intellect [Dragon Magazine] would get you Int in Wis-skills such as Sense Motive, Spot and Listen which could be relevant if you'll also be doing that part of the equation.

Overall, with some levels you can weave the skills into your own build but until that point, I think you'll have to wing it with Charm Person, Disguise Self/Alter Self and various other spells that should allow you to make somewhat more favorable an impression. Circlet of Persuasion is a useful item anyways so I'd get/craft one ASAP and I'd definitely try to get the +6 synergy bonus to Diplomacy. That's 5 ranks in Bluff, Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty and Sense Motive; luckily Knowledge is naturally a class skill for Wizards so that's easy. Diplomacy and Sense Motive can be gained through Ruathar (and it's pretty free to take your 6th level in it) so that only leaves Sense Motive cross-class.

Also, you can use spells to fake it a bit. One option would be splashing a level of Unseen Seer [Complete Mage] and getting Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=4371) or Divine Insight [Spell Compendium] for the job. Improvisation is a bard spell that does something similar.

For native Wizard-spells, Eagle's Splendor & Heroism are easy ways to get some small bonuses on skill checks. They won't get the job done alone tho. Loresong [Dragon Magazine #335] allows you to temporarily master one skill and get +4 competence and it's a level 1 spell so that can help. You could Arcane Disciple for some custom domain to help in the affair as well. There's a Customize Domain sort of feat somewhere too though I can't for the life of me remember, where.

nedz
2016-01-22, 04:59 AM
There's a Customize Domain sort of feat somewhere too though I can't for the life of me remember, where.

Customize Domain DR325 p61

Arathorn
2016-01-22, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone, these are some good options. Ruathar looks very interesting for backstory reasons, particularly.

Ettina
2016-01-23, 06:41 AM
Use Conceal Spellcasting to cast charm person on anyone who doesn't like you.

Chester
2016-01-23, 10:43 AM
Mask of Lies works, and you can disguise yourself to hide the mask.