PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Adding some depth.... to a gaunlet!

Corran
2016-01-22, 12:35 AM
I was thinking of a caster of sorts, that would use a ''magical'' gaunlet as his arcane focus. Perhaps this one hand of his on which he wears the gaunlet is maimed, or burned, and he decided to conceal it under this gaunlet. Perhaps he cannot even use this hand comfortably without the use of mage hand (casting mage hand on his gaunlet to perform simple tasks with his hand).

But how did this caster come with this gaunlet? Was it a simple gaunlet that he enchanted (over the course of time) with his own magic and thus now acts as his focus (and helps him overcome his potential difficulty using his burned or maimed hand)? Or is it perhaps an old relic that fell somehow in his possession? And if so, what is the history behind this item?

Did he perhaps find it in a tomb? Was it a gift (perhaps from his patron if I make him a warlock, or if his patron is a mighty wizard)? Did he commission it from an artificer? Is this gaunlet cursed in some way? Did it belong to someone else before this caster had it?

Dont be shy, I am hungry for your ideas fellow playgrounders!

DanyBallon
2016-01-22, 07:08 AM
It may not be useful as your gauntlet backstory, but what if instead the gauntlet being the spellcasting focus, its purpose is to hide the real focus which is something inbeded in the caster hand (tatoo, gem, ring that fused with the caster hand, etc.). Now the backstory of the gauntlet being a magical focus and how the caster came by is a lie to protect the real focus. Unfortunately for you, this twist will need you two different backstories instead of one :smallbiggrin:

Corran
2016-01-22, 09:31 PM
Oh, I like this. That way I could go with a very simple backstory for the gaunlet (commissioned it from an artificer, or heck, it could just be a simple gaunlet), and I have to find a story for the real focus. But first I have to choose what that focus is. And I guess the real question will be why do I want it hidden. Once I have the answers for these two questions, I think everything else will start falling into place.

I am still not giving up on the idea of the magic gaunlet, which conceals sth other than ''the real focus'', like a burn or a disease or curse which shows its signs in the caster's hand.

DanyBallon
2016-01-23, 08:38 AM
Oh, I like this. That way I could go with a very simple backstory for the gaunlet (commissioned it from an artificer, or heck, it could just be a simple gaunlet), and I have to find a story for the real focus. But first I have to choose what that focus is. And I guess the real question will be why do I want it hidden. Once I have the answers for these two questions, I think everything else will start falling into place.

I am still not giving up on the idea of the magic gaunlet, which conceals sth other than ''the real focus'', like a burn or a disease or curse which shows its signs in the caster's hand.

It may not apply to your character, but have you read Tigania from Guy Gavriel Kay? In this book, spell user must cut their two middle fingers in order to unleash their full magical potential, but since magic is feared, it becomes easy to spot them. So most develop some sleight of hand trick that makes their hand appears as if it have 5 digits. Your spellcaster could be hiding such a focus behind a gauntlet.