PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Generalist Wizard?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-22, 11:53 AM
I've noticed that there seems to be a lack of a 'generalist' Wizards, one who isn't beholden to any particular field of study. Has anyone seen one before?

I've always thought one could make a pretty decent Generalist Wizard by removing the '[Magic School] Savant' feature, and in exchange offering them the versatility of choosing from any other school's features when they hit their subclass levels. So one could, for example, have Hypnotic Gaze at second level, and gain Benign Transposition at 6th. Then they could go on to select Empowered Evocation at 10th level and close by going back to Conuration with Durable Summons.

Perhaps not allow for taking from a School more than once, so in the example above our Generalist couldn't take Durable Summons at 14th level?

Perhaps something entirely different, like more spell slots or spells per day? Different still?

What are your thoughts on Generalist Wizards for 5e?

Scarce
2016-01-22, 12:33 PM
I can offer you my universalist here (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/08/universalist.html). The philosophy I took on it is that an iconic generalist wizard should be good at being a wizard, so I have features which directly affected wizard spell mechanics, like prepared spells, spell slots, ritual time, and concentration.