PDA

View Full Version : Frost Giant Help

SilverCBFox
2016-01-22, 12:01 PM
Im playing a game and I think were about to fight frost giants soon, but Im not sure we are strong enough for it. There are four of them and we are level 9 party. We have a bard, ranger, druid, paladin, rogue and monk. anyone have any suggestions for strategy?

SharkForce
2016-01-22, 01:00 PM
yes: if you think you're going to lose, don't fight them. find a way to stack the odds in your favour first. get help if you can, lay a trap, try and pick them off one at a time, surprise them while they're sleeping, or whatever else you can do to avoid the fight until you have a distinct advantage.

RickAllison
2016-01-22, 01:13 PM
Im playing a game and I think were about to fight frost giants soon, but Im not sure we are strong enough for it. There are four of them and we are level 9 party. We have a bard, ranger, druid, paladin, rogue and monk. anyone have any suggestions for strategy?

You have perhaps the advantage of speed and mobility. Kite, kite for your life!!

Have you ever played Skyrim and tried to kill a giant at level one by constant archery? It's hard, and will be even harder because you won't have the benefit of a stupid AI, but the principle holds. Make it clear to your DM that exhaustion rules apply to both you and your enemies. Every time they try to sleep, make them suffer with a dagger in the eye, or become a pincushion. Give them no rest and stay mobile. Excepting the paladin, everyone looks like they have the ability for stealth, use that to your advantage. If someone breaks off on their own, gang up and take him down in one fell swoop. Remember, you are basically wolves trying to take down mammoths.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-01-22, 05:30 PM
Just dealt with some Giants in my game.

Thoughts:

Avoid a slugging match, even a ranged one - Giants have a surprisingly effective ranged attack with their rocks. If you can get off a shot with an effective range greater than 240 feet, great, but otherwise it's the proverbial arsekicking contest with a porcupine.

Apart from Strength and Con, their saving throws are poor, particularly their dex and int ones. If you have effects targeting dex, int, use them - targeting wis and cha should also be reasonably effective. If your Bard has some decent debuffs or illusions, they should shine - hypnotic pattern in particular can win an encounter.

Frost Giant society is highly violent, both internally and externally. Combined with poor mental stats, turning them against each other may well be a possibility - even a simple suggestion: `Your leader is weak! Now's your chance, kill him!` might work.

If you still end up in a straight fight, focus fire. But don't end up in a straight fight.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-22, 06:14 PM

Druid: Confusion or Slow or Call Lightning (druid is a good choice for being a target of greater invisibility).

Bard: Compulsion (keep them away from you), Greater Invisibility, or Polymorph.

Hold Monster or Animate Objects.

Rogue or Paladin (under greater invisibility) can get up there and really hurt them. I would say Rogue as they can hide as a bonus action (stay away from deep snow).

Paladin: Heal bit/smiter. This is the guy that will finish off a

Monk... Stun the ever living hell out of them.

Foxhound438
2016-01-22, 08:04 PM
aggressively metagame as hard as you can... i guess that's why you're here though.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-22, 09:02 PM
aggressively metagame as hard as you can... i guess that's why you're here though.

*rolls eyes* of you are going to be like that then why are you here?