PDA

View Full Version : Demiplane

Azreal
2016-01-22, 12:12 PM
Is anyone else disappointed by the 5e Demiplane? It just feels like a 30 ft broom closet isn't really worth the Eighth Level spell slot.

Shaofoo
2016-01-22, 12:26 PM
Considering you can create infinite numbers of Demiplanes (or as many Demiplanes as you have days to live) it isn't just 30 feet.

You also forget that it is disconnected from all other planes so it can be used as a near perfect safe house.

Also Demiplanes are part of the way to break the game with Necromancy (keep feral undead in Demiplanes and then unleash them)

So no, this is far way far from a disappointment. This has the potential to break the game if used the right way.

EvanescentHero
2016-01-22, 12:28 PM
Well, you could trap someone in your demiplane forever. That's pretty sweet.

RulesJD
2016-01-22, 12:28 PM
Is anyone else disappointed by the 5e Demiplane? It just feels like a 30 ft broom closet isn't really worth the Eighth Level spell slot.

It's a fantastic use of an 8th level spell. It allows your Wizard to be effectively immortal when combined with Clone and a backup spellbook.

Azreal
2016-01-22, 12:33 PM
I guess I just look back to Pathfinder and remember it used to be able to create a small country over time and now it's a 30ft room.

Azreal
2016-01-22, 12:34 PM
Considering you can create infinite numbers of Demiplanes (or as many Demiplanes as you have days to live) it isn't just 30 feet.

You also forget that it is disconnected from all other planes so it can be used as a near perfect safe house.

Also Demiplanes are part of the way to break the game with Necromancy (keep feral undead in Demiplanes and then unleash them)

So no, this is far way far from a disappointment. This has the potential to break the game if used the right way.

Are the demiplanes connected to each other or do you just have a bunch of them floating around?

Shaofoo
2016-01-22, 12:41 PM
Are the demiplanes connected to each other or do you just have a bunch of them floating around?

They aren't connected physically, each exists on its own as the spell says. You can't expand the Demiplane but you also don't need to make it permanent since it is permanent by default. So basically you lose out on a bigger Demiplane and not spend money to make it permanent (though with the huge ball of platinum shenanigans money was no object anyway) or using up XP.

Levism84
2016-01-22, 12:48 PM
The way it is worded, they are not connected to anything so they are just "floating around" as you put it. The spells says 30 feet in any dimension, so that means it is 30 feet tall, too. I would love to see someone come up with a way to transform a demiplane into, say, a small house with more than one level. After all, if I was going to use it as a safe house, I would want to "spruce" it up a bit and maybe add some separate rooms or ways to organize things a bit. It says the "walls" of the demiplane are made out of wood or stone, so could you use stone shape to build build structures out of the natural stone walls of the demiplane?

Also, keep in mind, you can gate anyone whose name you know to your demiplane while you are on it. This makes that boss battle a little less difficult. I am surprised more tyrannically evil kings/queens haven't found themselves gated out of their secure and defended throne rooms to a demiplane with an angry party or murder hobos waiting for them. Or, as mentioned above, using plane shift to imprison someone in a demiplane (especially if you have taken the time to turn the demiplane into a deathtrap or a home for an ooze like a gelatinous cube).

Shaofoo
2016-01-22, 01:28 PM
Also, keep in mind, you can gate anyone whose name you know to your demiplane while you are on it. This makes that boss battle a little less difficult.

You can't just pluck someone with gate and then deposit him into a demiplane directly. Even if you were to create a Demiplane, go in and cast gate the door is going to stay open for an hour. Demiplane makes a poor sudden getaway spell since the door has no way to discriminate people you want in and people you don't want it.

I am surprised more tyrannically evil kings/queens haven't found themselves gated out of their secure and defended throne rooms to a demiplane with an angry party or murder hobos waiting for them.

You also need to be in another plane to be able to actually gate someone out of there. So if the king and you are in the same plane you ain't gating him. And quite frankly you probably wouldn't want to just indiscriminately waste your only 9th level spell slot for the day without thinking.

Or, as mentioned above, using plane shift to imprison someone in a demiplane (especially if you have taken the time to turn the demiplane into a deathtrap or a home for an ooze like a gelatinous cube).

You can't plane shift into a demiplane unless you have a rod attuned to that particular demiplane. Also if we are casting high level magics like it was breathing then a gelatinous cube is barely a threat.

Millstone85
2016-01-22, 02:00 PM
You also need to be in another plane to be able to actually gate someone out of there.This is the part of the spell that would make me stay away from it. Casting it inside the demiplane could create a door to another demiplane but never back to a proper plane.

Levism84
2016-01-22, 10:49 PM
You can't just pluck someone with gate and then deposit him into a demiplane directly. Even if you were to create a Demiplane, go in and cast gate the door is going to stay open for an hour. Demiplane makes a poor sudden getaway spell since the door has no way to discriminate people you want in and people you don't want it.

You also need to be in another plane to be able to actually gate someone out of there. So if the king and you are in the same plane you ain't gating him. And quite frankly you probably wouldn't want to just indiscriminately waste your only 9th level spell slot for the day without thinking.

You can't plane shift into a demiplane unless you have a rod attuned to that particular demiplane. Also if we are casting high level magics like it was breathing then a gelatinous cube is barely a threat.

Quote from the gate spell: "When you cast this spell, you can speak the name of a specific creature (a pseudonym, title, or nickname doesn't work). If that creature is on a plane other than the one you are on, the portal opens in the named creature's immediate vicinity and draws the creature through it to the nearest unoccupied space on your side of the portal. You gain no special power over the creature, and it is free to act as the DM deems appropriate. It might leave, attack you, or help you."

I was speaking, situationally, of being on your demiplane and casting the gate spell to bring someone you specify to your demiplane if you know their name. This is supported RAW. If you were attempting such a feat, you would probably wait for the doorway between the demiplane and the plane you were on to disappear before using gate to call a hostile target to you. I thought I had stated my intention clearly, so I apologize for any miscommunication on my part. I agree the gating maneuver would only work if you and the target (evil king in this instance) were on different planes of existence, which the aforementioned scenario stated.

Also, setting up this tactic doesn't appear to be a brash or hasty decision to use a 9th level spell slot, since you would have to wait at least an hour after arriving on your demiplane for the doorway between the demiplane and the material plane to close. If you are using it, it probably isn't to take out fodder or low risk targets. Usually, you would use it to take out difficult to locate targets or difficult to reach targets (such as an evil king behind his castle walls). Sure, you could use other spells or sheer force to bust in and get the king, but this is a simple and straightforward method of bringing the target to you; no save, no flunkies, no collateral damage, no fuss.

Finally, I do acknowledge you would need a material component attuned specifically to your demiplane to use plane shift to send a target there. However, just because you can cast high level magic doesn't mean everyone you come across requires that high level magic to be defeated. The majority of individuals that populate the D&D world are going to be low-level commoners or other NPCs with a minimal challenge rating. Sometimes you will need to dispose of those individuals, quickly and quietly, and nothing says no evidence like sending them to another plane of existence where a gelatinous cube can kill them and dispose of the body. Sure, a high-powered BBEG probably would be able to defeat a gelatinous cube or other ooze, but it is never bad to have a "Plan M" just in case you need it.

JoeJ
2016-01-23, 03:31 AM

Not entirely, though. If one of your enemies knows the nature and contents of your demiplane, and can cast the spell Demiplane, they can get into your safe house. And if the world is such that high level casters generally spy on one another, that's a real danger.