PDA

View Full Version : Ride by attack plus Harpoon/improved grab

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-22, 02:21 PM
This did not see any luck in the RAW thread.

Q. 201. Ride by attack + net or harpoon

I attach a harness around my horse, to which I affix my 30' trail rope. Then I harpoon or net some poor schmuck, and still have 70 foot to travel in my turn. RAW, What happens next?

201 b. If net a dude on horse A. Make a ride check to jump on unmanned horse B. And I harpoon the guy I netted last turn from this horse , does horse B get a strength check to wrench the harpoon from the netted dude? Against him or the horse dragging him in a different direction.

201 b-2. If Horse B was the name of my Dragon mount, can I fly off with both my netted harpoon guy and my horse, assuming they are a light load? What if I harpoon my horse?

Q. 202 Ride by attack + Improved Grab

I'm a Mongol styled bear totem barbarian on horseback. I have improved grab. I make a normal attack with a lance, hit, do a boatload of damage, and begin a grapple as a free action. My horse has 70 more feet to travel, but now I'm in a grapple with a groundling. How does this resolve?

Twurps
2016-01-30, 12:31 PM
RAW: mounted combat is a mess. So I doubt you'll be getting a good answer anywhere.

And I'm even worse with harpooning rules, so I can't help you with those.

@Q202: how are you starting a grapple after an attack with a lance? A lance has reach, grappling requires you to move into your opponents square to make physical contact.....

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-30, 06:29 PM
RAW: mounted combat is a mess. So I doubt you'll be getting a good answer anywhere.

And I'm even worse with harpooning rules, so I can't help you with those.

@Q202: how are you starting a grapple after an attack with a lance? A lance has reach, grappling requires you to move into your opponents square to make physical contact.....

@Q202: Bear totem barbarian gets improved grab, which initiates a grapple as a free action if you hit with a melee weapon. What happens when you are grappling from horseback? obvi, you drop the lance, but can your mount drag that person with you for the rest of the movement phase of the turn?

I think I found the answer: All about mounted combat part 3 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050208a) You must win an opposed grapple check, in which case you drag them with you. Neat, you Can literally pick one off.

Actually, I saved the whole set, cuz we all know that eventually, wizards will get rid of all of this archived content. So you can get the 5 part mount rules here (http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/539353/D&D%203.5%20-%20WEB%20-%20Rules%20of%20the%20Game%20-%20All%20About%20Mounts.pdf), to just keep handy for the next time you strap a harness with some D rings onto your horse, apply a carabiner braided into your harpoon ropes, and snipe a bullette with a series of harpoons that you plan on using to trip itself.