PDA

View Full Version : Spell shenannigan questions

Aleolus
2016-01-22, 02:29 PM
Two questions regarding some shenanigans I have seen players pull regarding a couple of spells. None of these were used in a game breaking way when I saw them, but the potential is there I think.

First off, I have had players use Stone Shape to make small gemstones larger, on the logic that bigger gems would be more valuable. Is this a valid use for the spell, and if so, would my houserule regarding using the spell to increase its size causing its purity to decrease at a rate that causes the overall value to remain the same fair?

Second is Permanence. I have seen several variations on these, especially here on the forums, but the ones I personally witnessed went something like this; Cast weapon. enhancing spell on a weapon, cast Permanence, have an enchanted weapon that follows the normal rules for enchanted weapons, but is way cheaper to make. Am I crazy for thinking that a Permanenced spell is still an active spell, thus subject to dispelling and interruption?

torrasque666
2016-01-22, 02:36 PM
First off, I have had players use Stone Shape to make small gemstones larger, on the logic that bigger gems would be more valuable. Is this a valid use for the spell, and if so, would my houserule regarding using the spell to increase its size causing its purity to decrease at a rate that causes the overall value to remain the same fair? Depends on whether or not gems would be considered "stone" or not. If they are, the houserule is totally fair.

Second is Permanence. I have seen several variations on these, especially here on the forums, but the ones I personally witnessed went something like this; Cast weapon. enhancing spell on a weapon, cast Permanence, have an enchanted weapon that follows the normal rules for enchanted weapons, but is way cheaper to make. Am I crazy for thinking that a Permanenced spell is still an active spell, thus subject to dispelling and interruption?
Permanency A) has a whitelist of what can be applied to it and B)the effects are still active, just like any other Duration: Permanent spell and are in fact subject to dispelling.

nedz
2016-01-22, 02:42 PM
Stone shape doesn't add any material - it just changes the shape.
A lot of the value of Gemstones is in their cutting. Since, with Stone shape, fine detail isn’t possible then the value will likely decrease.

Permanency has been covered.

MisterKaws
2016-01-22, 07:41 PM
As far as I know, Magic Weapon is NOT on permanency's whitelist, and thus cannot be turned into permanent except in case of divine intervention, 'cause gods are just that OP, it's right there in the rules: Break reality, take a nap, you're ready to do it again.

nedz
2016-01-22, 08:05 PM
As far as I know, Magic Weapon is NOT on permanency's whitelist, and thus cannot be turned into permanent except in case of divine intervention, 'cause gods are just that OP, it's right there in the rules: Break reality, take a nap, you're ready to do it again.

No it's not, but Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang are.

Full list here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm).

The white list only covers spells in the PH though, so some flexibility might be possible with spells from other sources. This would be a DM call however.

Necroticplague
2016-01-22, 08:31 PM
First off, I have had players use Stone Shape to make small gemstones larger, on the logic that bigger gems would be more valuable. Is this a valid use for the spell, and if so, would my houserule regarding using the spell to increase its size causing its purity to decrease at a rate that causes the overall value to remain the same fair? Stone Shape allows you to change the shape of a stone object, not it's size. Can't do this.

Nope, you aren't. Permanency can be dispelled. Also note that there's a specific list of spells that can be made permanent, not just any spell you cast.

zergling.exe
2016-01-22, 08:35 PM
Note however that you can research additional spells to be vaild permancy targets, though they have to be DM approved.