PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Otherworldly Patron - The Faceless Lord

Ormsbygore
2016-01-22, 03:46 PM
Been playing with an idea for the past few days and trying to flesh it out and give it some balance. The idea started from a random thought "Wouldn't it be cool to have an Awakened Gelatinous Cube as an ally?" Then it kinda exploded from there. Started doing some research on Juiblex(past and present forms). Searched around for similar ideas and see what others have done. I wanted to focus more on summoning and control, instead of taking on the aspects of an ooze.

Hope you enjoy it. I greatly welcome constructive criticism and brainstorming. Would love to flesh this out into something usable.

I love making homebrew class options for my players. I have a few more if this is received well.

Otherworldly Patron - The Faceless Lord
New Eldritch Invocation:
Sticky Blast: Prerequisite: eldritch blast cantrip. When you cast eldritch blast it becomes a slimy projectile instead of a ray. If you successfully hit a creature with your eldritch blast, within 60 feet, you can expend a warlock spell slot to have the target make a Dexterity save vs your spell casting DC or become restrained. This effect only applies to the first projectile.
There needs to be a limiter on this ability, I'd rather not use spell slots as it's a severely limited resource for the Warlock. Once per short rest? idk...

Expanded Spell List:
1st - Create or Destroy Water, Grease
2nd - Web, Blindness/Deafness
3nd - Water Breathing , Stinking Cloud
4th - Evard's Black Tentacles, Control Water
5th - Insect Plague, Cloudkill

Sickening Slime: Starting at 1st level, you start to secrete a smelly slick slime that coats your body. You have advantage against grapple attempts, and anyone who comes within 5 feet of you(friend or foe) must make a Constitution save vs your spell casting DC. If a creature fails the save, they have disadvantage on their next attack roll.
This is a heavily modified version of an ability that one of Juiblex's devout followers, Duvamil, has(3.5e Book of Vile Darkness, pg 135).

Ooze Minion: Starting at 6th level, you can summon an ooze to your aid. As an action, you can shed your slimy coating onto the ground no more than 5 feet away from you and transform it into an ooze of your choosing. You regain the benefits of your Sickening Slime after you have completed a long rest. At level 6 you can summon a Gray Ooze; at level 12 you can choose to summon an Ochre Jelly, or a Gelatinous Cube; and at level 18 you can summon a Black Pudding. Once you’ve used this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command the ooze created by this ability. You decide what action the ooze will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the ooze will act freely and target the closest creature to it. Once given an order, the ooze continues to follow it until its task is complete. Other than its controller, it cannot determine friend from foe. It will attack any creature within its reach unless directed otherwise. The ooze that you summon remains under your control for 1 hour, after which it stops obeying any command you’ve given it.
I modeled this ability after the Animate Dead spell and the Necromancer's Undead Thrall ability(minus the boost in HP and Damage). Heavily reducing the amount of time the creature is controllable increasing the risk of it turning on you sooner. Also giving you something you can summon, then later in levels charm and hopefully befriend.

Trying to justify the CR of the summons...
Necromancer(added thrall bonus not counted in the CR)
6th level - up to 2 CR 1/4 Skeletons ~ Roughly CR 1/2(Grey Ooze CR 1/2)
11th level - up to 8 CR 1/4 Skeletons ~ Roughly CR 2(Ochre Jelly & Gelatinous Cube CR 2)
17th level - up to 14 CR 1/4 Skeletons ~ Roughly CR 3.5(Black Pudding CR 4)

Eject Slime: Starting at 10th level, you gain the ability to spew forth a patch of green slime anywhere you can see within 20 feet of you(including at a target, making a ranged spell attack) as a bonus action. The slime disintegrates after 1 hour. Once you’ve used this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

A patch of green slime covers a 5-foot square, has blindsight out to a range of 30 feet, and drops from walls and ceilings when it detects movement below it(friend or foe). Beyond that, it has no ability to move. A creature aware of the slime's presence can avoid being struck by it with a successful Dexterity save vs your spell casting DC. Otherwise, the slime can't be avoided as it drops. A creature that comes in contact with green slime takes 2d10 acid damage. The creature takes damage again at the start of each of its turns until the slime if scraped off or destroyed. Against wood or metal, green slime deals 4d10 acid damage each round, and any nonmagical wood or metal weapon or tool used to scrape off the slime is effectively destroyed. Any effect that cures disease, and any effect that deals cold, fire, or radiant damage destroys a patch of green slime.
Slightly modified version of one of Juiblex's own abilities. Reducing the frequency of use, and adjusting damage appropriately via the DMG description of "green slime"(DMG pg105) and the "damage severity and level" chart(DMG pg249).

Mind for the Mindless(Awaken Ooze): Starting at 14th level, you can imbue an ooze of your choosing with a mind of it’s own and force it to succumb to your will. By expending a warlock spell slot, you can reach your hand into a Large or smaller ooze to start the awakening ritual, rendering the ooze unconscious for the duration of the ritual. The ritual lasts for 10 minutes, during each minute of the ritual you suffer 1d4 acid damage(10d4 in total) while your hand remains inside the ooze. It must make a Wisdom save vs your spell casting DC. If it succeeds on the save, it attacks and tries to consume you. If it fails the save, it is charmed by you. The target must have either no Intelligence score or an Intelligence of 3 or less. The target gains an Intelligence of 10. The target also gains the ability to speak one language you know telepathically, to any creature within 30 feet. The awakened ooze is charmed by you for 10 days or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. You can only have one ooze charmed this way at a time. When the charmed condition ends, the awakened ooze chooses whether to remain friendly to you, based on how you treated it while it was charmed. Once you’ve used this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
Heavily modified version of the Druid's Awaken spell, adding fail condition and damage taken, reducing time charmed and size of available targets trying to make up for the costs the druid has to pay for the spell.

JBPuffin
2016-01-22, 10:49 PM
While for balance I cannot say much - it seems pretty safe, all things considered - AWAKENED OOZES! I'd play this character in a heartbeat, especially if we start out at higher level, so I could have an Awakened Gelatinous Cube ally. Heck, I'd play the cube itself at this point :P. For that alone, I applaud you.

Ormsbygore
2016-01-23, 02:47 PM
Thank you. I'm thinking about introducing it as the basis for an NPC bad guy in a one off and see how it goes from there. Should be lots of fun.