PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Undead town defence

honorconner
2016-01-22, 08:37 PM
Hey all, long time reader first time poster.
Im setting up a campaign in which the party will defend a medium sized city from hordes of undead waiting for a large army to come save them.
I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any tips for running something of this nature.
Additionally i really like the idea of a bard,rock off against an undead dirgesinger, much like in tenacious D or orpheus and hades. any tips?

Vizzerdrix
2016-01-22, 10:04 PM
What kind of undead? If their are ghosts, yer in for a rough time. Zombies would be easy though.

NevinPL
2016-01-23, 04:51 AM
Like Vizzerdrix said - need more info: party level, party make up, wealth for defense, any additional fortifications, number of clerics available, ETA of the City Liberation Army, etc., etc.

But I got one tip right now nonetheless:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-23, 08:18 AM
Dirgesinger doesn't advance casting, so a bard of the same level should have stronger spells and a higher caster level, winning the fight. There's no practical way for them to fight eachother through bardic music. You're basically just stacking Inspire Courage/Greatness vs. Inspire Awe (Dragon Magic ACF) + Haunting Melody (Heroes of Horror) + Song of Sorrow/Song of Grief (Dirgesinger abilities) + Phantasmal Song (gnome bard substitution level, Races of Stone). Your attacks have to come from some other place.

To defend a town vs. undead, rebuke/command the first wave and send it at the second. Command undead is a very useful spell, too.