PDA

View Full Version : Control Of Wazz

StandardBC
2016-01-22, 09:08 PM
http://orig10.deviantart.net/8526/f/2012/134/8/f/8fa189ada7b977830d2dea48e19af27f-d4zpa5a.jpg

The city of Goldsworthy. A New and exciting hub of travelers all looking to find fortune across an unexplored land.

Zarak243
"All prepare for departure!" Exan Yeardley departs from his ship to a bustling seaport. You've come to this shining city following a rumor of a great prosperity to be somewhere on Wazz island. You head inland and quickly reach a great staircase. You reread a letter as you climb. 'Wizard of reclaim, please accept a humble request to become a Champion of our land.' the note is followed by a map to the mayoral office building

Ramsus
T-Thank you. Thank you!" A commoner of the city grovels at Lizbeth Fisher's feet. It seemed a little over the top, there were only three thugs after all. You have to let me repay you. I'm an aide to the mayor, I can set you up with a job."

Hampsterpig
11 months passed before your ship found a port. Departing onto land, you see a marketplace with everything a sea explorer could need. You quickly notice a town crier in the distance. "The Mayor is calling for all adventurers to assist in a time of crises! The mayor is accepting all audiences at city hall!"

Entelechy
You were hungry. Life as an urchin didn't spoil you in any sense of the word. You were beginning another day of dodging throughout the city when you noticed city hall was momentarily unguarded. Slipping inside in search of food, you follow a hallway straight to what appeared to be an office. After a few moments of looking around, you are surprised by a group of four walking into the room.

"-entire town. I shouldn't have to tell you what could happen should you not-" noticing the half elf in his office, the mayor turn from the three adventurers he'd been talking to. "If you're here about my call to arms, please stay. If not, I'll have to have the guards take you to prison. As I was saying, the bugbears are just outside of the city. The scout who found them reported back four hours ago. We fear there may be an attack if we don't act fast.

Ramsus
2016-01-22, 11:19 PM
"Sounds straightforward enough." Lizbeth says. "So what's the pay?" she asks.

StandardBC
2016-01-22, 11:25 PM
"You'll be given 150 gold a piece when you return."

Entelechy
2016-01-22, 11:34 PM
"Yes sir," Gen says, flashing a dazzling smile, "I'm here for that thing. Guess I'm early."

Hampsterpig
2016-01-22, 11:48 PM
Artur Stonemaul stepped off the plank onto the semi-dry wood of the docks, stretching upwards and enjoying the feeling his joints popping. "Ah, 'tis good tah be on good, solid earth again. Tha' sea is beautiful, but nuttin' compares to good solid earth." Walking out to the city, the dwarf struck a rather strange sight. He wore his priestly vestments, a simple white tunic and dark blue vest, with his amulet hanging boldly out in the open, bouncing on his chest as he walked while on his back was a bag nearly stuffed to bursting, filled mostly with his dwarven battle-plate, which was unsuited to the urban sprawl of the trade town. Using his maul as a walking stick of sorts, he looked through the many stalls of the market place. Spotting a stall serving a hefty beef stew, the hungry Artur tried making his way through the crowd towards the food stand when he heard an announcement calling for aid in a time of crisis. Stopping, the sailor looked between the stew booth and the direction indicated by the crier. 'Thor, looks like you've sent me another mission, best see what you 'ave for me." Sighing, he switched his maul from one hand to the other and marched his way down to the mayor's office.

Pushing his way through the crowds of shoppers, Artur finally arrived at the mayor's office. Looking around at the others that soon filed into the room, he nodded approvingly. They seemed like a tough group and if any faltered along the way, then it was his job to make sure they stayed on their feet. "If you got bugbears close tah the town, where are your patrols? They should a' seen the beasties coming, and they ain't exactly quiet."

StandardBC
2016-01-22, 11:57 PM
"Their forces are hidden, only spotted in passing so far. Our citizens, and to be frank a majority of our warriors, can't handle a one on one battle with them. We're a small and fairly new town. The last of our great founders are passing on and the next generation is taking its place."

Ramsus
2016-01-23, 12:03 AM
Lizbeth nods at the answer, sounded like a reasonable amount to her. She stands there in silence, though she grins in amusement at the half-elf's response, as she waits to see what the others have to say or if the mayor has more to add.

Zarak243
2016-01-23, 02:02 PM
"Bugbears you say..."

His hand still clutched the letter that asked him to become a Champion of the land. Admittedly when he had left Um to undertake this journey he had little idea of how to go about earning the status, riches and power that would put him on equal footing with Lord Ilza. Champion of a land seemed like a good place to start, the only requirement being that he and these three others band together and defend the city from a bugbear. No wait...correction.

"More than one bugbear...How many more? 3? 10? 50? A few specifics would have been nice. Only bugbears or are there goblins and hobgoblins too?" Exan would sigh as he leaned against the wall of the mayor's office. "How many warriors do you have for that matter? Any archers among them?" How he wished his mentor was here to lend a staff. With only a few words and gestures he could conjure up enough fireballs to lay an entire horde of bugbears to waste (along with a good portion of the forest).

"Also which direction are they approaching from? And does anyone have any idea why they're heading this way? Are they being led by someone/something?" He asked every question he could think of and then a few more. Knowledge was power, sometimes literally as in the case of Wizards. "Perhaps we can set up an ambush for them once they close in. Divert them to another entrance, a choke point where we can take on their forces one at a time. So many ways to go about this...so little time..."

StandardBC
2016-01-23, 02:33 PM
The mayor holds up his hands apologetically. "There can honestly be anywhere from five to one hundred." He motions as if to calm you. Don't worry, only one pelt per adventurer will be required for payment. Just report back what you find. You may not have noticed yet, but this is a peninsula city. They only can be to the west." Mayor Rumel Clears his throat and rests his arms on his desk. He pulls out a book labeled heroes. He opens to a page that reads 'First Line, followed by nearly a page of names. Now, before you're off, we have a tradition in this town. As the beginning members of your company, you must create a title. The lands will know you by such when hearing of your exploits. After that, you'll be off." The mayor patiently looks around the room.

Zarak243
2016-01-23, 02:49 PM
Exan would stand with his mouth agape for a few seconds before politely closing it and breathing a sigh of relief. He had misinterpreted the reason they were here, good news because taking on a group of bugbears lay outside the scope of his abilities. Nevertheless he was still a bit reluctant to walk directly into what was almost certainly mortal danger but no-one said it would be easy.

Sucking the air through his teeth Exan would turn to look out the window and say, "The Warriors of Wazz? Most adventuring companies incorporate the name of the locality they were formed in. Anyone have anything better?"

Ramsus
2016-01-23, 04:34 PM
"I'm confused. Are you asking us to gather information or to drive the bugbears off? If it's just information why do we need the pelts?" Lizbeth asks.

She rolls her eyes at the silly alliterative suggestion given by the other human and says, "I'm already part of a larger company, the Iron Kites. That is what I would normally be known by aside from my name. But the rest of you aren't members. Maybe we can balance this and be something like... Lizbeth and the Iron Kestrels?"

Entelechy
2016-01-23, 05:13 PM
"The Pelters, Someone Smells like Boat, The Profit Margin, Charming But Irrational, The Youthful Indiscretions, Grown Up Problem Children, More Victims Of The Ambient Morality, the Expen- wait, that one's already taken, let's see... Oh! The Sacrificial Victims, the Unwitting Accomplices, or how about State Sanctioned for Violence?" Gen counts off a few alternative names.

Ramsus
2016-01-23, 05:37 PM
Lizbeth laughs and then asks, "Are any of those things you actually want to be known as?"

Entelechy
2016-01-23, 05:59 PM
"I've been called much worse, and those doing the calling ain't never paid for the privilege of doing so before," Gen said with a shrug.

StandardBC
2016-01-23, 06:10 PM
The mayor's head nodding slows the more suggestions he hears. He chuckles occasionally.

StandardBC
2016-01-23, 07:03 PM
Lizabeth, this mission's primary goal is information.I do not expect you to take on a possible army. However, given the threat, I must ask you to at least put a dent in the enemy forces before they become too bold in action. From accounts gathered so far, the main force of bugbears should be hidden miles into the hills to our west. I simply need you to find a collection of the creatures with some knowledge we can use to our advantage, and I fully expect the enemy to put up a fight.

As for forces, Wazz is strong with nearly 200 fine warriors and 100 archers of true aim at the ready. The mayor seems extremely proud of his town.

Ramsus
2016-01-23, 08:24 PM
"Ah ok. Find em and bloody their nose a bit. Good first job for a group. Hard to mess it up and live to tell the tale." Lizbeth says, apparently approving (mostly because the job sums up as "find something and hit it then tell us how hard we need to hit it" in her mind).

"So, you don't like 'Lizbeth and the Iron Kestrels' then? I thought it had a good ring to it." Lizbeth says, seeming to be actively thinking about why other people wouldn't like that (and quite possibly failing to reach an answer).

StandardBC
2016-01-23, 09:20 PM
"Lizabeth's suggestion does bring up an interesting point. Would you as a group like to elect a leader? Fame will be split equally, I assure you, though a single strong voice of direction often helps in this most vast of lands."

Zarak243
2016-01-24, 03:36 AM
"Its not a bad name actually. The Iron Kestrels," Exan would say. "As for the matter of deciding a leader then I suppose it should go to the one with the most experience, coolest head and the smartest of us. Who here thinks they meet those expectations?"

Ramsus
2016-01-24, 03:56 AM
Lizbeth looks at each member of the group, assessing them and then opens her mouth to....awkwardly say nothing. After a moment she says, "Maaaaaybe we don't need a 'leader'? I'm uh.... sure we each have our own kinds of things we're best at. So we should just follow the lead of whichever of us seems to know what they're talking about at the time?"

StandardBC
2016-01-24, 05:34 PM
"Alright, you should all be off. You won't walk farther than just beyond the gates before you spot a one I'm sure. And may I just say how thankful we all are that you few answered our call." The mayor walks you out of city hall and points you to the Goldsworthy Gates. You begin your journey.

The town waves in a seemingly practiced manner. Hero work is well praised for the risks undertaken by the individual. Near the gates, some buildings had gone as far as to build viewing decks as if to watch the battles for Goldsworthy first hand. A great door is let down, and you take your first steps onto the untamed land of Wazz. You are almost able to feel the magic and natural energy permeate the very ground.

The Mayor's words held true. You quickly round a hill and spot a bugbear and two goblins around a campfire. After a moment you notice a hobgoblin doing chores nearby. They seem to be talking. Just past the fire are two tents, the left much larger than the right. The 100 foot distance is far enough that a fight would most likely go unnoticed.

Entelechy
2016-01-25, 02:53 AM
Gen droped into a crouch to stay out of the goblinoids' view. Indigo energy flashed across the surface of Gen's eyes, and the quarterstaff briefly flared with the same eerie light, before the wood seemed to drink it in.

StandardBC
2016-01-25, 03:51 AM
Map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3miMgGS5r-9TEVzU1Z5VVVmYkE/view?usp=sharing

Bugbear 1: G44

Goblin 1: J44

Goblin 2: G48

Hobgoblin 1: V45

Please start anywhere below the 60th line.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-25, 11:34 AM
In Town
Artur stayed quiet for the majority of the discussion of names. He didn't care much what they were called, as long as he got paid and had some fun while he worked, he had no problems with what the group was named, as long as it wasn't something too stupid or insulting. "Well as far as 'ah can tell, we're missin' somethin'. Our own damn names! Ah'll even start, Artur Stonemaul, cleric o' Thor and sailor of the seas." The dwarf thumped the haft of his maul against the ground to emphasize his name. "Ah take it yer Lizbeth then, lassy?" he asked, nodding his head towards the mercenary woman before turning towards the rest of the group. "How's 'bout you lot?"

Time Skip
Once they got closer to the campsite indicated by the mayor, Artur briefly stopped the party so he could "Get on me armor." which seemed to be the dwarven-sized full plate he had been carrying. After making sure it was secure, he continued on with no notable drop in pace.

At the Camp
"That's certainly a lot o' the stinkin' things. How's 'bout we take em' out quietly?" Hefting his maul in one hand, he touched the holy symbol on the head of his hammer and then the one on his neck, muttering a quick prayer.

Artur's going to move to N62.

Zarak243
2016-01-25, 02:03 PM
Exan would remain quiet throughout the entire journey, only breaking silence to offer his name to the group. When they finally reached their destination Exan would immediately follow the Warlocks suite and bend down on his knees to prevent their quarry from catching sight of them.

"Here is the plan,"he would whisper to the others, "Me and uh...whats your name again?" To the half-elf. "Me and him will sneak to the left and get into a good position to hit them from afar with ranged attacks. You two can barrel in then with your swords and hammer raised while we first take out the goblins and hobgoblins before helping you out with the bugbear. That sound good?"

If there would be no disagreement then Exan would slowly began to move to his indicated position as stealthily as he was able, gesturing the Warlock to follow suit.

((OOC: Rolling stealth and move to...say...m47))

[roll0]

Ramsus
2016-01-25, 02:12 PM
In Town

"Aye." Lizbeth nods and adds, "Lizbeth Fisher of the Iron Kites. Nice ta meet ya."

At the Camp

Lizbeth nods in agreement to Exan's plan then waits for the two of them to move into position.

StandardBC
2016-01-25, 02:42 PM
The creatures remain unaware of your party. The enemies surrounding the campfire seem to be talking, while the hobgoblin tends to a cart most likely stolen from a traveler just before reaching Wazz's gates.

Entelechy
2016-01-25, 03:16 PM
"I'd be awfully hard for me to be making a 'ranged attack' throwing this thing. I'll still with my fellow people who hit things," Gen whispers to Exan before he goes.

Zarak243
2016-01-27, 03:24 PM
Moving into a position overlooking the field Exan would begin to whisper words of power as his fingers began to move in precise patterns, harnessing energy from the surroundings and molding it to create three orbs of pulsating white light. At his mental command they would soar from his outstretched fingers and sail through the air, aimed directly at the two goblins.

((OOC: 2 darts will hit the goblin closest to me (Goblin 1), the third one will hit goblin 2))

Goblin 1 [roll0]
Goblin 1 [roll1]
Goblin 2 [roll2]

Hampsterpig
2016-01-30, 08:34 PM
Artur whispers to his fellow front-line combatants, "Ah'll draw the foul things in, ye squash 'em when they come to me." The armored dwarf stomps forward, ignoring any and all concepts of stealth in favor of getting to the foul creatures as fast as possible. Roaring out a challenge, he raises his maul, ready to smash the skull of the first thing to come in range. "Come on, ye fish-brained mud-eaters, who wants a hammerin'?"

Move up 25 feet and prepare an action to attack the first enemy to come in range with Artur's maul.
Maul: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
EDIT: WHAT THE F:smallfurious::smallfurious:K DICE?

Ramsus
2016-01-30, 10:55 PM
Lizbeth shakes her head and mutters, "There goes the plan..." and then moves forward and throws a javelin at the nearest of the creatures.

Javelin attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

StandardBC
2016-01-31, 02:59 AM
The bugbear and the goblins surrounding the fire all turn when they hear abrupt and sudden whispers and rustling. Before connecting enough dots to make a line, a half Elf emerged threateningly from the nearby brush and... seemed to pause. Quickly regaining himself, he rushes to the nearest goblin and attacks with his quarterstaff. The creature didn't have a moment to blink before being cut down. In the same instant, a javelin sticks into his nearby ally. Two orbs quickly silence the screams of said struck goblin, as another sears the skin of the until now absent minded hobgoblin nearby. The bugbear begins his warcry, but quickly falls back as a hammer nearly misses his skull.

Players have won initiative, go again.

Entelechy
2016-01-31, 09:43 PM
As the goblin falls without resistance, Gen continues the swing into a widening arc to crack the end of the staff against the temple of the hobgoblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]
if crit: [roll2]

Ramsus
2016-02-01, 12:21 AM
Lizbeth continues her charge as she pulls out her sword and slashes at the hobgoblin as well.

Attack: [roll0]

Hampsterpig
2016-02-01, 11:07 AM
"Speedy little buggers, ain'tcha?" Mentally chastising himself for missing the ugly head of the goblinoid as he prepares for another swing. This time, rather then aiming for the smaller target of his foe's head, Artur swings upward, across his body in an attempt to catch the foul creature in the side and shatter it's ribcage.
Burns dead character sheets in offering to the dice gods...
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll2]
Better, but not by much. :smallsigh:

Zarak243
2016-02-01, 11:32 AM
I forgot what the initiative order was :P

Seeing his allies charge into the fray Exan contemplates firing his second casting of Magic Missile. After a moment of deliberation he readies a Fire Bolt instead and flings it at the bugbear.

Attack roll[roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

StandardBC
2016-02-01, 06:57 PM
The first two warriors to attack quickly struck down the hobgoblin attempting to run back to camp. The bugbear weaves between fire bolts and hammer swings before swinging his morning star wildly, straight into the ground at Artur's feet, missing.

Entelechy
2016-02-02, 02:35 PM
The hobgoblin fallen, Gen draws back the quarterstaff for a heartbeat, then leaps forward with a skull-cracking thrust at the bugbear.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (if critical)

Ramsus
2016-02-02, 09:37 PM
Meanwhile Lizbeth circles around behind it and tries to cut off it's potential escape. And maybe it's head too.

if crit damage: [roll2]

Zarak243
2016-02-04, 08:24 AM
Cursing at his miss Exan readies another bolt of flame, takes a closer aim and then launches it at the bugbear.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]