PDA

View Full Version : campaign idea for a vampire

Ettina
2016-01-23, 07:42 AM
I want to do a campaign as a vampire (lvl 2 character + 8 LA). My DM and I don't care if I'm overpowered, so anything suitable for lvl 10 or under is in.

The challenge is that we ruled it that a vampire only gets protection from their coffin if they have spent a day resting in it in its current location. Which makes travelling very inconvenient and risky for me, since by moving my coffin I nullify it's protection until I rest in it again.

Plus, of course, I have the sunlight vulnerability. Only protections I've found are fairly conspicuous, and would make it hard to avoid people realizing I'm a vampire.

So, I would like suggestions for a pre-made campaign where most or all of the action takes place within a 6 mile diameter circle, and the action takes place mostly at night or in an area protected from sunlight.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-01-23, 06:12 PM
Anything in the Underdark should do you nicely.

Just remember that the Vampire is hideously over LA-d. I'd say it's more like LA +2, maybe +3.

Inevitability
2016-01-24, 07:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you can only be a vampire if you have 5 or more HD. You have two.

This is a problem in itself, though. With 12-18 HP, everything ECL-appropriate will one-shot you. You won't have the skill ranks to invest in social skills/stealth, you won't have the BAB to just one-shot your enemies, and you won't have the saves to resist anything they throw at you.

Consider the Half-Vampire template in Libris Mortis instead. It gives you much of the abilities vampires get (blood drain, charming gaze, children of the night) without the massive LA.

endur
2016-01-24, 08:22 PM
Since this is 3.5, what 3.5 pre-made campaign adventures would be appropriate?

Return to Temple of Elemental Evil could work. Most of the action takes place in Hommlet, The moathouse (within 6 miles of Hommlet), Nulb, the TOEE (within six miles of Nulb), and two other locations that are within six miles of each other.

A number of the adventures in Dungeon magazine would work.

Any urban campaign or mega-dungeon campaign should work.

Underdark, Undermountain, Return to Castle Greyhawk. etc.

Oh yes, you could play the 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Crake
2016-01-25, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty sure you can only be a vampire if you have 5 or more HD. You have two.

This is a problem in itself, though. With 12-18 HP, everything ECL-appropriate will one-shot you. You won't have the skill ranks to invest in social skills/stealth, you won't have the BAB to just one-shot your enemies, and you won't have the saves to resist anything they throw at you.

Consider the Half-Vampire template in Libris Mortis instead. It gives you much of the abilities vampires get (blood drain, charming gaze, children of the night) without the massive LA.

You can be a vampire with less than 5HD if you were made by a vampire lord, though it does preclude you from becoming a vampire lord yourself, which kinda sucks in it's own right.

atemu1234
2016-01-25, 10:05 AM
I'm a fan of Fleshbound Vampire from (Advanced Bestiary, I do believe). A little overpowered for LA +2, given the damage reduction and fast healing it grants, but between LA buyoff (which everyone should use) and gaining levels, it should still even out.

PallentisLunam
2016-01-25, 04:12 PM
As always when I see somebody who wants to play a vampire I will point out the template class on WotC's website.

And a question about your coffin: Can you not rest in it while it is moving? Dominate some farmer with a wagon and force him to drive it during the day while you nap in the back.

PallentisLunam
2016-01-25, 04:13 PM
As always when I see somebody who wants to play a vampire I will point out the template class on WotC's website.
(http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)
And a question about your coffin: Can you not rest in it while it is moving? Dominate some farmer with a wagon and force him to drive it during the day while you nap in the back.