PDA

View Full Version : Fun builds to play

Sir cryosin
2016-01-23, 08:07 AM
I'm looking for a fun build to play it does not have to to optimize but then again it can't be to gimped.

Spacehamster
2016-01-23, 08:17 AM
I'm looking for a fun build to play it does not have to to optimize but then again it can't be to gimped.

Oathbreaker paladin 7(or 8) necromancer 13(or 12), lets you have "elite minions" with extra hp and damage from necromancer and extra damage(for yourself and minions) from your CHA modifier. Ofc this build works best with decently good rolled stats as it is quite MAD, but well worth it to be the ruler of the damned while ofc wearing black plate and a greatsword unlike those pesky single class weakling necromancers. ;)

Doable with point buy too I guess best done with half elf +1 STR +1CON +2CHA, if done like that it's prob best to never improve INT above the required 13 and take 8 pal 12 necro and mainly take spells that does not use your save from wizard list, leaves more slots for smiting anyways. ;)

Sir cryosin
2016-01-23, 08:35 AM
Maybe something in the 6 to 16 range builds but I want to hear all of ya'lls cool builds.

Spacehamster
2016-01-23, 08:56 AM
Maybe something in the 6 to 16 range builds but I want to hear all of ya'lls cool builds.

The build I posted gets "fully online" at 13(7oath/6necro) but is pretty strong the whole way if you go oathbreaker first to lvl7, then each necromancer level gives you smite slots faster then single class paladin and you hit pretty hard due to oath lvl 7 feature making you hit for weapon + STR + CHA. :)

Corran
2016-01-23, 10:17 AM
The build I posted gets "fully online" at 13(7oath/6necro) but is pretty strong the whole way if you go oathbreaker first to lvl7, then each necromancer level gives you smite slots faster then single class paladin and you hit pretty hard due to oath lvl 7 feature making you hit for weapon + STR + CHA. :)
I think I would go paladin 1, then necromancer 6, and then continue with paladin until paladin 7. You get animate dead faster this way (perhaps take paladin as your second level instead, and then follow with necromance till 6, delaying animate dead by 1 level but grabing smite and a fighting style early on). Use a scag cantrip instead of attack action until you get the extra attack (at character level 11).

Create a tavern brawler rogue (thief) who enjoys rioting and throwing alchemist fires! It helps if the campaign provides local tyrants NPCs.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-23, 10:48 AM
I think I would go paladin 1, then necromancer 6, and then continue with paladin until paladin 7. You get animate dead faster this way (perhaps take paladin as your second level instead, and then follow with necromance till 6, delaying animate dead by 1 level but grabing smite and a fighting style early on). Use a scag cantrip instead of attack action until you get the extra attack (at character level 11).

Create a tavern brawler rogue (thief) who enjoys rioting and throwing alchemist fires! It helps if the campaign provides local tyrants NPCs.
Do you get sneak attack with alchemist fire? If so It could be pretty fun build but it would cost some coin.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-23, 10:52 AM

Here is a character I made recently named Clarence J. Tonneberry. You may rename him if you want.

Half Elf Folk Hero Cleric (Tempest) 1/ Warlock (Fey) 1

Typically runs around using the help action and using BA/reaction spells, however if allies are in danger he will join the fight with the power of lightning, thunder, and the fey.

Str: 13 (+1)
Dex: 9 (-1)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 8 (-1)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 16 (+3)

HP: 17
Armor Class: 18 (scale + shield)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30'

Skills: Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Survival, Deception, Persuasion

Cleric Spells (3 cantrips, 4 spells prepared, Two (2) 1st level slots / Long Rest)

Cantrips
Light (action) (help action, helping my allies to see )
Thaumaturgy (action) (Going all Metatron on my enemies)
Guidance (action) (pseudo help action!)

Level 1
Fog Cloud (Tempest)
Thunderwave (Tempest)
Healing Word (Cleric)
Sanctuary (Cleric)
Cure Wounds (Cleric)

Warlock Spells (2 cantrips, 2 spell known, 1 slot/ Short Rest)

Cantrips
True Strike (Ranged Help Action!)
Magic Stone (BA! Give them to my allies)

Level 1
Hellish Rebuke (reaction)
Hex (bonus action) (disadvantage to ability check + me using help action = win)

Class Features (Not Spells)
Tempest: Reaction, Wis Mod (3)/ Day may cause adjacent target that hit me to take 2d8 lightning or thunder damage. Dex save for half damage.

Archfey: Action, 1/Short Rest, may make all creatures within 10' of me frightened or charmed. Wis save negates.

Corran
2016-01-23, 10:55 AM
Do you get sneak attack with alchemist fire? If so It could be pretty fun build but it would cost some coin.
Oddly enough I think your sneak attack is triggered by alchemist fire, as it is considered an improvised ranged weapon for the purposes of the attack. Still, you go thief in order to be able to do it as a bonus action, so you attack normaly with you action. But then again you have a second chance at sneak attack this way.

Yeah, it requires some gold investement, but this is the edition to pull off sth like this (given magic action economy is not the default assumption).

Sir cryosin
2016-01-23, 11:14 AM
Oddly enough I think your sneak attack is triggered by alchemist fire, as it is considered an improvised ranged weapon for the purposes of the attack. Still, you go thief in order to be able to do it as a bonus action, so you attack normaly with you action. But then again you have a second chance at sneak attack this way.

Yeah, it requires some gold investement, but this is the edition to pull off sth like this (given magic action economy is not the default assumption).

Well its a rouge I could always steal them.

Limited Gish
2016-01-23, 11:49 AM
Storm Sorcerer 6/ Tempest Cleric X. Making special use of Shocking Grasp, Booming Blade, and Lightning Lure. Oh, and Lightning Bolt. Lots and lots of Maximixed Lightning Bolt.

darkrose50
2016-01-23, 11:54 AM
I am currently playing an alternate Human Wizard with Luck and Portant.

E’Tallitnics
2016-01-23, 12:16 PM
I am currently playing an alternate Human Wizard with Luck and Portant.

What level? And how is that working out at the table?

I'm seriously considering rolling up exactly that build for Season 4 of the AL! So any advice / insight you can share would be greatly appreciated.

darkrose50
2016-01-23, 02:20 PM
All the re-rolls are a blast, and it has been useful to use some high Portent rolls on important checks. One can use low or high rolls. One can also use luck on the Portent rolls. It is all sorts of fun!

Azil Grimmerswitch [Wizard 3, Hermit, Lawful Good]

Attribute Score Bonus Save
Strength 10 +0  +0
Dexterity 16 +3  +3
Constitution 11 +0  +0
Intelligence 16 +3  +5
Wisdom 10 +0  +2
Charisma 10 +0  +0

AC: 10 Initiative: +5 Speed: 30
HD: 3D6 
HP: 14 ||

Armor Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalist Kit

-----Skills-----
 Acrobatics (DEX)
 Animal Handling (WIS)
 Arcana (INT) +5
 Athletics (STR)
 Deception (CHA)
 History (INT)
 Insight (WIS)
 Intimidation (CHA)
 Investigation (INT) +5
 Medicine (WIS) +2
 Nature (INT)
 Perception (WIS)
 Performance (CHA)
 Persuasion (CHA)
 Religion (INT) +5
 Slight of Hand (DEX)
 Stealth (DEX) +5
 Survival (WIS)

-----Features and Traits-----
Lucky 
Portent 

-----Equipment-----
Coins 5 GP
Dagger
Herbalism Kit
Scroll Case
Winter Blanket
Common Cloths
Wand
Explorers Pack
Spellbook
Half burned floor plan of Wizard Academy
Yo-yo
Locket with illusion of fiancée

-----Names-----
[Nate]
[Zach]
[Vince]
Fibberscuttle (fey) [familiar]
Fizzle Bumpernickel [wizard mentor]
Heather Thornweaver [fiancée]

-----Spells-----
Preparation: 6 [3 Intelligence + 3 Level]
Spell Save DC: 13
[8 Base + 2 Proficiency + 3 Intelligence]

-----Cantrips-----
Firebolt (242)
Prestidigitation (267)
Light (255)

-----First Level Spells-----
 Detect Magic
 Find Familiar
 Identify Magic
 Mage Armor
 Magic Missile
 Shield
 Sleep
 xxx

-----Second Level Spells-----
 Flaming Sphere
 Web

DracoKnight
2016-01-23, 02:50 PM
A friend and I were discussing the build I am about to share last night.

Necromancer 6/Death Cleric 14

Using Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and Rock Gnome or Variant Human, it's possible to get the following stats:

Rock Gnome: STR 8 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 10

Variant Human: STR 8 DEX 14 CON 16 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 10 (Feat: Resilient CON)

You take your first 6 levels in Wizard - you want to get to 3rd-level spells and both Grim Harvest and Undead Thralls as fast as possible. If you went Rock Gnome, take Resilient DEX at 4th level, bumping it to a 16, and gaining proficiency in the super-common Dexterity saving throw. If you went Variant Human, grab War Caster.

After those 6 Wizard levels, take Cleric 1 in the Death Domain, and finish your character levels in Cleric. You get Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, etc. Now, you finish out as a cleric. You have decent AoE from your Wizard spells (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc.) as well as your spellbook to copy down any wizard spells you find in the future. You have the ability to wade into melee combat (Medium Armor, Martial Weapons, and Spirit Guardians + Spiritual Weapon). Use your ASIs in the future to pump your DEX and Casting stats.

E’Tallitnics
2016-01-23, 02:52 PM
All the re-rolls are a blast, and it has been useful to use some high Portent rolls on important checks. One can use low or high rolls. One can also use luck on the Portent rolls. It is all sorts of fun!

[…]

Thank you!

DracoKnight
2016-01-23, 02:59 PM

Azil Grimmerswitch [Wizard 3, Hermit, Lawful Good]

Attribute Score Bonus Save
Strength 10 +0  +0
Dexterity 16 +3  +3
Constitution 11 +0  +0
Intelligence 16 +3  +5
Wisdom 10 +0  +2
Charisma 10 +0  +0

AC: 10 Initiative: +5 Speed: 30
HD: 3D6 
HP: 14 ||

Armor Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalist Kit

-----Skills-----
 Acrobatics (DEX)
 Animal Handling (WIS)
 Arcana (INT) +5
 Athletics (STR)
 Deception (CHA)
 History (INT)
 Insight (WIS)
 Intimidation (CHA)
 Investigation (INT) +5
 Medicine (WIS) +2
 Nature (INT)
 Perception (WIS)
 Performance (CHA)
 Persuasion (CHA)
 Religion (INT) +5
 Slight of Hand (DEX)
 Stealth (DEX) +5
 Survival (WIS)

-----Features and Traits-----
Lucky 
Portent 

-----Equipment-----
Coins 5 GP
Dagger
Herbalism Kit
Scroll Case
Winter Blanket
Common Cloths
Wand
Explorers Pack
Spellbook
Half burned floor plan of Wizard Academy
Yo-yo
Locket with illusion of fiancée

-----Names-----
[Nate]
[Zach]
[Vince]
Fibberscuttle (fey) [familiar]
Fizzle Bumpernickel [wizard mentor]
Heather Thornweaver [fiancée]

-----Spells-----
Preparation: 6 [3 Intelligence + 3 Level]
Spell Save DC: 13
[8 Base + 2 Proficiency + 3 Intelligence]

-----Cantrips-----
Firebolt (242)
Prestidigitation (267)
Light (255)

-----First Level Spells-----
 Detect Magic
 Find Familiar
 Identify Magic
 Mage Armor
 Magic Missile
 Shield
 Sleep
 xxx

-----Second Level Spells-----
 Flaming Sphere
 Web

Emphasis mine.

How do you have +5 Initiative? Don't have a 20 DEX, and you took Lucky, not Alert...The rest looks good, though.

Belac93
2016-01-23, 03:16 PM
Arcana domain cleric is fun. Using the SCAG cantrips gives you quite a bit of damage. Wild magic sorcerer is interesting.

Corran
2016-01-23, 03:31 PM
Emphasis mine.

How do you have +5 Initiative? Don't have a 20 DEX, and you took Lucky, not Alert...The rest looks good, though.
AC also should be 13.

Edit: Regarding the necromancer/death cleric, why not leave dex at 14, and pump wisdom instead. You can have wisdom to be your attack stat (spirit guardians or better yet, vampiric touch cast at a higher level - you have the ''free'' slots cause of multiclassing, spiritual weapon, and if you really want to use one of the scag cantrips - though vampiric touch is your best choice for attack imo - then pick shillelaugh via magic initiate).

darkrose50
2016-01-23, 03:46 PM
Emphasis mine.

Typo? I'll fix it on the word document. Thanks!

AC also should be 13.
Edit: Regarding the necromancer/death cleric, why not leave dex at 14, and pump wisdom instead. You can have wisdom to be your attack stat (spirit guardians or better yet, vampiric touch cast at a higher level - you have the ''free'' slots cause of multiclassing, spiritual weapon, and if you really want to use one of the scag cantrips - though vampiric touch is your best choice for attack imo - then pick shillelaugh via magic initiate).

10 +3 DEX = 13 + 3 Mage Armor = 16 . . . most of the time

8wGremlin
2016-01-23, 03:54 PM
Human variant, Standard Array:
12 Str,
14 Dex,
14 Con
16 Wis,
10 Int,
8 Cha

10 hp @1st level 1 +7 hp / level,
Medium Armour (breastplate or half plate when you can afford it) with shield and Dex = AC: 18 (hard to hit)

Cleric Arcane domain, some good spells.
Ray of Frost (ROF) and Green Flame Blade (GFB) or Booming Blade (BB) - This covers melee and ranged combat

Feat: Magic Initiate Druid (Goodberry, Shillelagh, Produce Flame ) - With Shillelagh you now attack off of you Wis modifier - take a club that looks like something cool - does 1d8 damage, and is magical. Produce flame as both and attack option and a light source.

First round of Melee goes:
Bonus action: Shillelagh
Move to attack range
Action: Booming blade
All wisdom based.

Skills: Insight, Religion, Arcana, Athletics, Survival, Perception (Wis based skills will be high)

Background: OUTLANDER - keep you fed, and you'll not get lost.

At level 8 you get to add you're is modifier to your cantrips.

So far I'm having a blast!

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-23, 04:46 PM
12 Str,
14 Dex,
14 Con
16 Wis,
10 Int,
8 Cha

Medium Armour (breastplate or half plate when you can afford it) with shield and Dex = AC: 18 (hard to hit)

Ray of Frost (ROF) and Green Flame Blade (GFB) or Booming Blade (BB) - This covers melee and ranged combat

Feat: Magic Initiate Druid (Goodberry, Shillelagh, Produce Flame ) - With Shillelagh you now attack off of you Wis modifier - take a club that looks like something cool - does 1d8 damage, and is magical. Produce flame as both and attack option and a light source.

Move to attack range
All wisdom based.

Skills: Insight, Religion, Arcana, Athletics, Survival, Perception (Wis based skills will be high)

Replace Magic Initiative with Druid and I'm sure you could build Samus Aran, the wildshape (small creature) could be when she turns into the ball. Two levels of Rogue for disengage and stuff... Hmmm

Cleric X (Heavy Armor)/Druid Y (Moon)/Rogue 2

NaitoCorvo
2016-01-23, 11:31 PM

So far I've play tested a monk 12(Long Death)/fighter 8(BattleMaster). all the fun package that is punch people in the face, stun them, keep punching them with martial arts and add the fun that is battle maneuvers of the battlemaster to add some spice there. you get all the fun of the long death monk (Touch of Death, Hour of Reaping, Mastery over Death) added with BattleMaster maneuver utility (them trip attacks, lung attacks, precision attacks and such), ACTION SURGE tastiness as well as a good Second wind when things get tough.

Your Touch of Death makes your "squishiness" obviously...less squishy as, whenever you kill anything you get monk levels + wisdom modifier worth of temporary hit points

If you get worried for ASI and MAD, well, you should be happy that mixing it this way you are just 1 ASI behind the full lenght of the fighter (Monk at 4th, 8th and 12th and Fighter at 4th, 6th & 8th), so you have more chances to max out your DEX/WIS or invest into feats.

best thing, most if not all features on both classes recharge on short rest (ki points, action surge, superiority die, etc).

Hairfish
2016-01-24, 04:35 AM
Barbarian/rogue with expertise in Athletics. Read the PHB grappling and shoving rules carefully, as well as the Grapplers' Guide available in this forum's guide section. Wear a luchador mask and toss enemies around the battlefield. Pick the race, class specializations, and feats/ASIs that feel right. Viable from level 1 on.

zylodrizzt
2016-01-24, 09:18 AM
Barbarian/rogue with expertise in Athletics. Read the PHB grappling and shoving rules carefully, as well as the Grapplers' Guide available in this forum's guide section. Wear a luchador mask and toss enemies around the battlefield. Pick the race, class specializations, and feats/ASIs that feel right. Viable from level 1 on.

Don't forget goliath so when your dm asks your 20 str bear totem 3 and 6 can even lift that much you prove it to him start tossing sneak attack boulders or opponents proficiently force him to make up rules for that and pulling arms off goblins. Str check no problem. Think this might be my back up character.

MrStabby
2016-01-24, 12:12 PM
I played the kind of build that Spacehamster advocated. It was an NPC in a campaign I DMed then when we swapped DMs I picked him up. He actually began as a thought experiment in using the standard human class.

I cannot recommend this guy enough. With necromancer and oathbreaker he has a load of style. All the undead synergy makes you able to sit in a space other classes struggle to occupy. Finally you have a load of different things you can do - a reasonable selection of spells for utility. Abundant smites and shields for close combat dominance, support for your party with some undead meatshields.

I also think this is one of the few summoner classes that can actually be fun for the party to have. Your undead are elite enough (bonus hitpoints, bonus damage, zombies with Cha bonus to death saves) that you don't need many of them to be effective so you don't slow down the game much whilst at the same time they are not overpowering nor the only thing you can do.

coredump
2016-01-24, 02:15 PM
Storm Sorcerer 6/ Tempest Cleric X. Making special use of Shocking Grasp, Booming Blade, and Lightning Lure. Oh, and Lightning Bolt. Lots and lots of Maximixed Lightning Bolt.

So.... thinking about trying this build. But when you say 'special use'...... is that just fluff? None of the SS or TC abiiities seem to interact much with those cantrips. Is there something I am missing?

Sir cryosin
2016-01-24, 03:45 PM
One of TC abilities let you do max damage instead of rolling. As for BB you only get one attack so you might as well use that.

CNagy
2016-01-24, 04:01 PM
6 levels of Enchanter on any martial class; I've used it with an Eldritch Knight and an Intelligence-heavy Swashbuckler, but Arcane Trickster would work too. The ability to redirect an opponent's attack at the cost of a reaction can fundamentally change the flow of combat. My Eldritch Knight/Enchanter was a confusing mass of swinging steel, flashing spells, and enemies accidentally hitting and killing eachother. My Swashbuckler/Enchanter was more of a Zorro-like character.

I love it especially because it requires a Wisdom save (not everyone's strong suit) and if the DM is willing to go with it, it's great for making enemies suspicious of one another and generally creates a "zone of incompetence" amongst the opposition.

coredump
2016-01-24, 05:11 PM
One of TC abilities let you do max damage instead of rolling. As for BB you only get one attack so you might as well use that.

Sure, but you only get to apply that twice per short rest, and it will only effect the iniitial thunder damage or the after-movement thunder damage. I would rather save it for a Chromatic Orb or Lightning Bolt.

Squibsallotl
2016-01-24, 05:12 PM
Fun build? Variant Human Wild Magic sorcerer with Lucky. The rerolls should prevent the wild magic surges that can TPK you (fireball centred on party, and such), plus its thematic.

Rickerdoo
2016-01-24, 05:36 PM
How about a Minotaur Bard......... More CowBELL!!!!!

DracoKnight
2016-01-24, 05:39 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

*settles*

I mean...that would be awesome. You can never have too much cowbell.

Dimolyth
2016-01-25, 01:41 AM

Playing similar character - Half-Orc Fighter(Battlemaster)/Rogue (with Tavern Brawler). He is nightmare of any BBEG, whom he can get. Menace Attack manneuvre - then Shove & bonus action Grapple - and with Action surge Disarm (weapon or focus) + Attack (with +1d6 from sneak attack).
"Not being in rage" for him is a feature, not bug))))

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 02:46 AM
One build I'm particularly fond of is the Gnome Ranger whose beast companion is a Pteradon. Imagine a 3'7" person with a tiny longbow raining arrows from above, riding a terrifying flying reptile from the late Cretaceous.

Also worth noting is the 1 Druid/1 Cleric (Life Domain) so that one cast of Goodberry restores a potential max of 40 HP. Add Variant Human: Mobility if you want to be the heals-on-wheels type.

If you really want to be crazy with heals, spend a bunch of off-days casting Cure Wounds into folded-up pieces of paper with a Glyph of Warding on each paper. Hand then out to your party. "You're hurt? Unfold this." With enough days of doing only this, you have a ludicrous amount of healing available.

One thing I do whenever i m having difficulty thinking of a fun character is choose a fiction character and try to portray them. One of my favorites is a re-creation of Artorias from Dark Souls. I worked with my DM to make a human with only one functioning arm but still attacked with a greatsword (no mechanical difference). Took Battlemaster to allow him to jump about and do interesting things in combat.

Markoff Chainey
2016-01-25, 03:19 AM
If you really want to be crazy with heals, spend a bunch of off-days casting Cure Wounds into folded-up pieces of paper with a Glyph of Warding on each paper. Hand then out to your party. "You're hurt? Unfold this." With enough days of doing only this, you have a ludicrous amount of healing available.

Glyph of Warding does not work like this unfortunately, because you would not be able to move the paper more than 10 feet away from where you have cast it.

Hairfish
2016-01-25, 03:34 AM
Playing similar character - Half-Orc Fighter(Battlemaster)/Rogue (with Tavern Brawler). He is nightmare of any BBEG, whom he can get. Menace Attack manneuvre - then Shove & bonus action Grapple - and with Action surge Disarm (weapon or focus) + Attack (with +1d6 from sneak attack).
"Not being in rage" for him is a feature, not bug))))

Can do all that, plus get advantage on your Athletics and attack rolls with Berserker 5 + Rogue 1. Disarm won't do damage (unless you take the feat for it), but you can shank the target three times per turn for all the following rounds, too.

Klorox
2016-01-25, 08:47 AM
Arcana cleric, taking green flame blade and firebolt, with the Magic Initiate (druid) feat, taking shillelagh and goodberry.

You have a combat class only relying on wisdom.

Klorox
2016-01-25, 08:49 AM
Half orc assassin/barbarian.

Dual wield rapiers with your high strength. With reckless attack, you'll get sneak attack damage every time.

Douche
2016-01-25, 10:35 AM
Oathbreaker paladin 7(or 8) necromancer 13(or 12), lets you have "elite minions" with extra hp and damage from necromancer and extra damage(for yourself and minions) from your CHA modifier. Ofc this build works best with decently good rolled stats as it is quite MAD, but well worth it to be the ruler of the damned while ofc wearing black plate and a greatsword unlike those pesky single class weakling necromancers. ;)

Doable with point buy too I guess best done with half elf +1 STR +1CON +2CHA, if done like that it's prob best to never improve INT above the required 13 and take 8 pal 12 necro and mainly take spells that does not use your save from wizard list, leaves more slots for smiting anyways. ;)

Sounds like a death knight. Make sure to say "Frostmourne hungers" as much as possible. "Your pain shall be legendary" is another good one.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 11:07 AM
Glyph of Warding does not work like this unfortunately, because you would not be able to move the paper more than 10 feet away from where you have cast it.

Ah it appears I overlooked that part. Well there goes that. But I'm fairly sure the Goodberry+Life Domain still stands.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-25, 11:40 AM
Ah it appears I overlooked that part. Well there goes that. But I'm fairly sure the Goodberry+Life Domain still stands.

It does, so says the devs.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 11:41 AM
It does, so says the devs.

I take queit solace in this

Dralnu
2016-01-25, 01:04 PM
Storm Sorcadin. Paladin 6 / Storm Sorcerer +. Paladin base gets you solid HP, full plate, smites, extra attack, and the OP aura. Sorcerer doubles your spell progression for better spells and way more smiting along with metamagic, notably quicken. Storm gives you sweet abilities like Heart of the Storm. Attack + quicken booming blade for big damage (maybe smite on top), which triggers heart dealing aoe damage. Or attack + thunderous smite for heart triggers using up only a lvl 1 spell.

Favored Sorcadin. Paladin 2 / Favored Soul +. You still get the base tankiness and smite, but you trade more tankiness and the OP aura for even better spell progression. You're a Sorcerer (only lost 1 caster level) that can enter melee and do huge burst damage when necessary.

Sorclock. Warlock 2 / Sorcerer +. Warlock gives you 2 spell slots and Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Blast. Sorcerer lets you quicken EB for double the damage output. I'm currently playing this right now and at level 9 I'm doing 4d10 + 20 force damage per round and knocking targets back 40ft. I also pop off Fireballs when necessary and turn into a T-Rex if things get serious. Too fun!

Goku. Barbarian 3 / Sun Soul Monk 17. You're a speedy unarmored badass that kills people with unarmed strikes and energy blasts. You can enter a rage, taking minor damage and adding +2 to each hits, you can hit 4 times so that's +8 damage per round. Danger Sense + Evasion means enemy fireballs are nothing to you. You unlock your ultimate form, gaining a golden aura that hurts anyone getting too close. You're Goku!

Blade Trickster. Arcane Trickster 9 / Bladesinger 11. Abuse Magical Ambush to its fullest with a greatly expanded spell list/progression thanks to your Wizard levels. Pop out of hiding and nail some baddies with Fear, and they make their save with disadvantage? Yes please! Bladesinger grants you a ton of bonuses: extra AC, advantage on Concentration, extra movement, etc.

Wizard 20. Wizards are very fun no matter what.

Oramac
2016-01-25, 01:13 PM
So.... thinking about trying this build. But when you say 'special use'...... is that just fluff? None of the SS or TC abiiities seem to interact much with those cantrips. Is there something I am missing?

I'm playing more or less this same character in AL right now. (And it was the one I was going to post about here anyway)

Basically, you're right in that you use the Max Damage ability for spells like Chromatic Orb or Lightning Bolt. But if you get stuck in melee, Booming Blade and Metamagic give you options.

For example: use your action to cast BB on your target, then Quicken a spell against it (or another target so you don't have disadvantage), and you can use Tempestuous Magic to fly 10 feet away from the guy you just stabbed without provoking AoO's. Now he has a choice of not moving and not taking the BB damage, or moving to you and taking the BB damage.

Or, depending on how the enemies are lined up, in the above scenario you use a Max Damage Lightning Bolt against the enemy you stabbed, and whoever is standing behind him, and still fly 10 feet away with no AoO.

Dimolyth
2016-01-25, 01:13 PM
Can do all that, plus get advantage on your Athletics and attack rolls with Berserker 5 + Rogue 1. Disarm won't do damage (unless you take the feat for it), but you can shank the target three times per turn for all the following rounds, too.

I did not meant battlemaster is better than berserker, that was RP choice. For a half-orc who is rather "single target controller" in battle, is guild merchant, uses soap for regular bath and wears full-plate, has History skill proficiency for courtesy and comprehending politics)))

Oramac
2016-01-25, 01:29 PM

Maybe I'm being too literal here, but as a work-around, put the paper in said characters Backpack, then cast the spell.

As long as the paper is never more than 10 feet from the Backpack, you're good to go.

Maybe?

Oramac
2016-01-25, 01:40 PM
I'm playing more or less this same character in AL right now. (And it was the one I was going to post about here anyway)

Basically, you're right in that you use the Max Damage ability for spells like Chromatic Orb or Lightning Bolt. But if you get stuck in melee, Booming Blade and Metamagic give you options.

For example: use your action to cast BB on your target, then Quicken a spell against it (or another target so you don't have disadvantage), and you can use Tempestuous Magic to fly 10 feet away from the guy you just stabbed without provoking AoO's. Now he has a choice of not moving and not taking the BB damage, or moving to you and taking the BB damage.

Or, depending on how the enemies are lined up, in the above scenario you use a Max Damage Lightning Bolt against the enemy you stabbed, and whoever is standing behind him, and still fly 10 feet away with no AoO.

Another fun one I just thought of: Use BB on the bad guy, then Quicken a forced movement spell like Thunderwave for Max Damage and push the bad guy 10 feet away from you AND using Tempestuous Magic to fly 10 feet in the opposite direction.

Now you're 20 feet away and you've forced the bad guy to take the full BB damage AND max damage from a Thunderwave in one turn.

WMO?
2016-01-25, 02:26 PM

This character has disadvantage on all saving throws against disease, because they've got a fever...

FOR MORE COWBELL!!!

Ralanr
2016-01-25, 02:29 PM
Reaver: 3 levels in barbarian for totem warrior bear, then the rest in demon blade warlock. Gain psychic resistance, cast AoA and fireshield before raging. Laugh as things try and kill you.

More of a concept: Half-orc wizard that specializes in abjuration and force magic. Get the Giant Hand spell and shout, "I CAST FIST!" whenever you cast it.

gfishfunk
2016-01-25, 02:43 PM
Mountain Dwarf Wrestling Champion

Bard 4 / Barbarian 4, Entertainer Backgound
- Tavern Brawler
- Grapple Master (name ??) feat

A self-aggrandizing dwarf wrestler that grabs and pins enemies. Even Bugbears. Especially bug bears. He tells everyone is every town he comes across, and offers to wrestle locals for entertainment.

Expert in Athletic, btw.

Edit: "Do ya smell what Smelt Rocksworth is cooking?!?"

coredump
2016-01-25, 02:46 PM
Ah... I had not considered that. Of course with boosting Wis and Cha my melee attacks will not be great....but its an option.

Side question: Did you find you needed to boost both Wis and Cha?

Another fun one I just thought of: Use BB on the bad guy, then Quicken a forced movement spell like Thunderwave for Max Damage and push the bad guy 10 feet away from you AND using Tempestuous Magic to fly 10 feet in the opposite direction.

Now you're 20 feet away and you've forced the bad guy to take the full BB damage AND max damage from a Thunderwave in one turn.
BB only triggers if they "willingly move", not if you force them to. Get a bard to cast Dissonant Whispers however....

Oramac
2016-01-25, 02:54 PM
Ah... I had not considered that. Of course with boosting Wis and Cha my melee attacks will not be great....but its an option.

Side question: Did you find you needed to boost both Wis and Cha?

The character I'm playing is a Half-Elf with scores like this:

Str: 8
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 14
Cha: 17

Currently Cleric 2/Sorc 3. The Sorc 4 ASI will bump Int/Cha to even numbers.

I'm using a dagger since it's a Dex weapon. Not ideal, but being in melee isn't something I try to do. This is just my plan for when it does happen.

BB only triggers if they "willingly move", not if you force them to. Get a bard to cast Dissonant Whispers however....

Well crap. I missed that part. Dissonant Whispers would be good though.....

coredump
2016-01-25, 03:07 PM

Sorry, but this one doesn't work either....

Quicken a spell is a Bonus Action.
Tempestuous Magic also requires a Bonus Action.
Can't do both.... :P

So, why do you need Cha so much more than Wis?

Oramac
2016-01-25, 03:13 PM
Sorry, but this one doesn't work either....

Quicken a spell is a Bonus Action.
Tempestuous Magic also requires a Bonus Action.
Can't do both.... :P

So, why do you need Cha so much more than Wis?

Just gotta rain on my parade don't ya!? haha. My DM has been letting me use Tempestuous Magic without the bonus action. I'll have to bring that up to him when I play next.

I'm going Cha because I'm playing Cleric 2 / Sorc 18. So the Cha is more useful to me. If one were to do the reverse, as was originally posted, I'd definitely say Wis would be the stat to bump.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-25, 03:49 PM
Reaver: 3 levels in barbarian for totem warrior bear, then the rest in demon blade warlock. Gain psychic resistance, cast AoA and fireshield before raging. Laugh as things try and kill you.

More of a concept: Half-orc wizard that specializes in abjuration and force magic. Get the Giant Hand spell and shout, "I CAST FIST!" whenever you cast it.
I laugh my ass off when I read this.

coredump
2016-01-25, 04:48 PM
I'm going Cha because I'm playing Cleric 2 / Sorc 18. So the Cha is more useful to me. If one were to do the reverse, as was originally posted, I'd definitely say Wis would be the stat to bump.
Ah... that makes sense.

I want cleric 6 for the 2/short CD and the push effect. (Guardian spirits doesn't hurt either...)

Playing a playtest tonight, going to try tempest6/Storm6. Don't like splitting caster levels like that.... but I do like the level 6 abilities on both...

Not sure how useful it will be, but I can move towards the bad guys, cast a 'level' spell, do damage to all bad guys within 10' (Storm), then push them all back 10'(tempest), and fly 10' myself (storm)
Sounds like it will be fun.

It also means I can use Lightning Lure to drag someone towards me 10', and them use Tempest to push them away 10'.

bid
2016-01-25, 06:41 PM
The character I'm playing is a Half-Elf with scores like this:

Str: 8
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 14
Cha: 17

Currently Cleric 2/Sorc 3. The Sorc 4 ASI will bump Int/Cha to even numbers.
Why not start Int11 / Cha16 and bump to Cha18?

Oramac
2016-01-26, 10:12 AM
Ah... that makes sense.

I want cleric 6 for the 2/short CD and the push effect. (Guardian spirits doesn't hurt either...)

Playing a playtest tonight, going to try tempest6/Storm6. Don't like splitting caster levels like that.... but I do like the level 6 abilities on both...

Not sure how useful it will be, but I can move towards the bad guys, cast a 'level' spell, do damage to all bad guys within 10' (Storm), then push them all back 10'(tempest), and fly 10' myself (storm)
Sounds like it will be fun.

It also means I can use Lightning Lure to drag someone towards me 10', and them use Tempest to push them away 10'.

That does sound fun! Not sure I like losing the Sorc 18 capstone for flight, but that wouldn't come until level 20 anyway.

Let us know how it goes!

Why not start Int11 / Cha16 and bump to Cha18?

I'm sorta OCD and don't like having odd numbers in a stat. lol. Either way I end up with an 18 Cha.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-26, 11:08 AM
Maybe I'm being too literal here, but as a work-around, put the paper in said characters Backpack, then cast the spell.

As long as the paper is never more than 10 feet from the Backpack, you're good to go.

Maybe?

As much as I enjoy semantic workarounds (and I do enjoy semantic workarounds) I don't think this will work, for two reasons:
A)It says "from where you cast it" and so just as I would say that wouldn't mean you could move the Glyph all throughout a dungeon because the dungeon is "where" it was cast, I'd make the same ruling for backpacks.
B)Most DMs I know would glare at me for trying to munchkin if I brought this up and then have my character take 1d6 stupid damage.

Oramac
2016-01-26, 12:47 PM
So I got to looking at the Sorcerer spell list, and it looks like BB really isn't as good as I thought. Shocking Grasp would be much better, for one reason: "...and it can’t take reactions until the start of its next turn." So instead of BB, you'd use SG, move away from the bad guy with no AoO, and Quicken a Lightning/Thunder spell for Max Damage.

and then have my character take 1d6 stupid damage.

I literally lol'd at this!

coredump
2016-01-26, 04:16 PM
Well, played the Storm6/Tempest6 last night. Didn't really like it.

I think part of it was playing a complex character with a lot of feature interactions...and starting at level 12. So it was hard to remember all the combos and its hard to have fun when you are trying to not be confused.

But I also just didn't feel like the build was diverse enough.... Plus pushing people 10' is fun, it usually isn't all that useful.

I might play the concept again to see if it gets better, but I would not play it 'for real' at this point.

Klorox
2016-01-26, 11:46 PM
Tempest cleric 2/evoker wizard X

MaxWilson
2016-01-27, 12:24 AM
Sharpshooter Fighter 11/Rogue 2/Necromancer 7. SAD on Dex but still pretty wizardy; can do things like Greater Invisibility + Cunning Action (Hide) to be untargetable; has a backup squad of skeletons.

The only tough decision is, how far to go in Fighter before branching out to wizard and rogue? It depends on the rest of your party but at minimum I'd suggest taking one level of wizard and two levels of rogue sometime around 8th level, so you get a familiar and a mobility boost and Stealth expertise and can play party scout without losing your Extra Attack. Then more wizard until 14th level, and finish up with Fighter.

You can do this as a Ranger too if you want Ensnaring Strike, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Animals, and Volley more than you want a third attack, extra feats and War Magic.

Klorox
2016-01-27, 12:34 AM
12 Str,
14 Dex,
14 Con
16 Wis,
10 Int,
8 Cha

Move to attack range
All wisdom based.

I love it.

What makes you choose between green flame blade and booming blade? They both seem pretty cool, but you can only nab one (right?)?

Why ray of frost over firebolt?

coredump
2016-01-27, 12:50 AM
I love it.

What makes you choose between green flame blade and booming blade? They both seem pretty cool, but you can only nab one (right?)?

I'm playing the same concept. I grabbed both GFB and BB, just didn't bother with Ray of Frost.

Booming Blade can be awkward, since most bad guys are just going to stand there and hit me. I could move away, but that gives him an OA. Maybe be worthwhile when bad guys start getting multi-attack.

Ralanr
2016-01-27, 12:56 AM
I'm playing the same concept. I grabbed both GFB and BB, just didn't bother with Ray of Frost.

Booming Blade can be awkward, since most bad guys are just going to stand there and hit me. I could move away, but that gives him an OA. Maybe be worthwhile when bad guys start getting multi-attack.

Could work well with the mobile feat.

8wGremlin
2016-01-27, 03:06 AM
I love it.

GFB and Firebolt are both fire damage
Ray of frost is a tiny bit less damage per dice for some movement reduction

Klorox
2016-01-27, 09:35 AM
GFB and Firebolt are both fire damage
Ray of frost is a tiny bit less damage per dice for some movement reduction

Cool cool.

So you're making a very versatile character even more versatile.

Again, I love it, and will probably be borrowing heavily from your idea.

Klorox
2016-01-27, 10:25 AM
I wonder if that 8th level arcana cleric ability would apply to shillelagh in that build.

I don't have my books with me, but it allows wisdom modifier added to cantrip damage.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-27, 11:17 AM
I wonder if that 8th level arcana cleric ability would apply to shillelagh in that build.

I don't have my books with me, but it allows wisdom modifier added to cantrip damage.

No.

The spell targets the weapon and not a creature. Unless you want to deal +Wis mod damage to your weapon each time you cast it.

8wGremlin
2016-01-27, 12:52 PM
No.

The spell targets the weapon and not a creature. Unless you want to deal +Wis mod damage to your weapon each time you cast it.

Correct.
At level 8 you get to add your wis mod to damage on cantrips.

Is shillelagh a cantrip yes.
Does it have a damage roll no.
Therefore you can't add your wis mod it to.

However you can add it to BB & Ray if Frost

RulesJD
2016-01-27, 01:51 PM

I think part of it was playing a complex character with a lot of feature interactions...and starting at level 12. So it was hard to remember all the combos and its hard to have fun when you are trying to not be confused.

But I also just didn't feel like the build was diverse enough.... Plus pushing people 10' is fun, it usually isn't all that useful.

I might play the concept again to see if it gets better, but I would not play it 'for real' at this point.

Personally I have an AL Tempest Cleric 6/Wild Magic Sorc 4.

Wild Magic is so much more fun than Storm Sorc. Having surges trigger off of Shield and Chromatic Orb alone is beautiful. I love the complexity and domination this sort of character can bring to a table because it can literally do everything.

With that said, Booming Blade + Quicken Shocking Grasp = auto-knockback + forcing them to choose not being in melee or thunder damage.

coredump
2016-01-27, 02:15 PM
With that said, Booming Blade + Quicken Shocking Grasp = auto-knockback + forcing them to choose not being in melee or thunder damage.
Thats not bad..... hmmmm.... Creats a bit of MAD to have a decent melee attack....but could still work.

RulesJD
2016-01-27, 04:15 PM
Thats not bad..... hmmmm.... Creats a bit of MAD to have a decent melee attack....but could still work.

There's lots of other fun things to do with the auto-knock back. BB an enemy, let them hit you, and trigger Wrath of Storms to blast back 10ft and force movement if they want to continue their multi-attack. Call Lightning to blast enemies into other AoE effects from your party. Automatically de-grapple yourself by hitting your grappler/restrainer with Shocking Grasp.

I like the idea of Storm Sorc + Tempest, and it brings up some decent maneuverability to hit with your Spirit Guardians. But at the end of the day I like the fun that the Wild Magic brings (albeit that's heavily DM reliant which I don't like). If your DM wont let you trigger surges as often as you should be able to with Tides of Chaos, then just go Storm Sorc for Draconic Sorc for the extra damage.

Oramac
2016-01-28, 03:57 PM
I like the idea of Storm Sorc + Tempest, and it brings up some decent maneuverability

I actually played mine last night, and really enjoyed it. I'm building a bit differently, as I'm only taking 2 levels of Cleric and going the rest into Sorcerer (hit character level 6 last night).

We ran The Malady of Elventree, which was fun, but is very poorly written. The DM was fudging rolls all over the place to try and keep it balanced.

But even with all that, the Tempest Sorcerer is really fun to play. Combining the Channel Divinity with spells like Lightning Bolt is a ton of fun. And you have a really good chance of one-shotting creatures that fail the Dex save.

EDIT: And Tempestuous Magic is seriously one of the most undervalued abilities in the game, IMO. The mobility it gives you is amazing, especially when you consider that it works in 3 dimensions. Got a 10 foot wall you want to get on top of? Let the wind carry you up with no check. And you can use it before or after casting, and before, during, or after your movement. It's amazing.

Klorox
2016-01-28, 11:49 PM
12 Str,
14 Dex,
14 Con
16 Wis,
10 Int,
8 Cha

Move to attack range
All wisdom based.

I modified your build a bit and played a first level game tonight.

Thank you so much, I had an absolute blast playing him.

Here's what I did:

Mob Barley
Entertainer

S: 8
D: 14
C: 14
I: 10
W: 16
Ch: 12

Cantrips: green flame blade, ray of frost, shillelagh, produce flame, guidance, thaumaturgy, mending

Skills: perform, acrobatics, arcana, insight, perception, medicine

And the DM let me switch out the disguise kit proficiency for the herbalism kit proficiency. :)

Again, I had so much fun and was very effective. And I couldn't have done it without your influence and idea, 8wGremlin. Thank you so much!

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 10:06 AM
Is there any fun melee builds and why

gfishfunk
2016-01-29, 10:19 AM

I particularly like a rogue / fighter multi-class with the shield master feat, the trip attack, and a whip. You are able to shove someone down with your shield as a bonus action (plus, you can put your expertise into athletics for better shoving), able to attack using our whip with reach (potentially using sneak attack) and use a maneuver to trip or disarm someone from afar. Its a great area control build that can do a surprising amount of damage.

Oramac
2016-01-29, 10:24 AM

I haven't played it yet, but I was planning to play a Rogue/Fighter based on Daniel Craig's James Bond in a game coming up.

Bames Jond

Half-Elf (for the extra skills, since James Bond has to be good at damn near everything)

Stats (after racials):
Str: 10
Dex: 14 + 1
Con: 14 + 1
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 14 +2

Skills: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Investigation, Insight, Perception, Deception, and Persuasion.

Starting at 1 level of Rogue, then taking 5 levels of Fighter (Battlemaster) for the Maneuvers/ASI/Extra Attack, then finishing out with 14 more levels of Rogue (Swashbuckler).

-----------------------------

EDIT: Also, personally, I really enjoy playing just a straight up Vengeance Paladin. No multiclassing, no frills. Just grab a Greatsword and start slaying evil.

Lavok Rammstein
2016-01-29, 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear that. I have been working on one to replace my last character that died. Starting at level 10 Half Orc Tempest Cleric 6/Sorc 4. Using GWM and Mobile feats. So many fun options. Big hits with GWM and booming blade. Twin witchbolts and soon to have maximized lightning bolts, and still some healing and utility mixed in. I love having a lot of options and I am looking forward to playing him.

Corran
2016-01-29, 11:42 AM
I haven't played it yet, but I was planning to play a Rogue/Fighter based on Daniel Craig's James Bond in a game coming up.

Bames Jond

Half-Elf (for the extra skills, since James Bond has to be good at damn near everything)

Stats (after racials):

Skills: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Investigation, Insight, Perception, Deception, and Persuasion.

Starting at 1 level of Rogue, then taking 5 levels of Fighter (Battlemaster) for the Maneuvers/ASI/Extra Attack, then finishing out with 14 more levels of Rogue (Swashbuckler).

Heh...... we all know that Craig's Bond is not an elf pansy!!! And he would definitely use str as his primary stat. And athletics. Expertised athletics.

Oramac
2016-01-29, 12:13 PM
Heh...... we all know that Craig's Bond is not an elf pansy!!! And he would definitely use str as his primary stat. And athletics. Expertised athletics.

Half-Elf is for the skills. I'd go V-human if it gave more skills.

Swap out Dex/Str as you like. I figured on using a Rapier to take advantage of Sneak Attack (since you have to have the finesse property), but a Longsword would fit too.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 12:22 PM
Half-Elf is for the skills. I'd go V-human if it gave more skills.

Swap out Dex/Str as you like. I figured on using a Rapier to take advantage of Sneak Attack (since you have to have the finesse property), but a Longsword would fit too.

There is a feat that give you 3 skills of your choice or tools.

Cybren
2016-01-29, 12:23 PM
Here are some fun builds:

bard 20
fighter 20
wizard 20
and many more!

If you're not really concerned with optimization you don't need a 'build', and any given single-class character that isn't making deliberately poor choices will be fun and relevant to the party

Oramac
2016-01-29, 12:33 PM
There is a feat that give you 3 skills of your choice or tools.

True.

I forgot to mention that the Half-Elf also gives you a +2 Cha as well. Which would let you start the game with two 15's and a 16 CHA, plus three 10s. (assuming a 27 point buy)

So really the choice is between Darkvision, 8 skills, and +2 Cha with the half-elf, or an extra 2 skills, but no darkvision or stat boosts with the V-human.

EDIT: plus, all of the Bond-ish skills pretty much key off of either Dex, Wis, or Cha. Save for Athletics, which you can get proficiency in and still do pretty good.

EDIT2: Having played around with it a bit, I think V-human would work just fine. You'd still need a Dex build though, since you have to have a 13 in dex or str to multiclass fighter and a 13 dex for rogue.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 01:46 PM
Here are some fun builds:

bard 20
fighter 20
wizard 20
and many more!

If you're not really concerned with optimization you don't need a 'build', and any given single-class character that isn't making deliberately poor choices will be fun and relevant to the party

I'm just looking for ideals and wanting to see what other people are playing and why they like it.
Is that fine by you Negative Nancy. Is there not a charter or build that you like to play and want to tell other people why you injoy it so much? And yes im not concerned with optimization but optimize build and be just as fun then a dragonborn wizard that don't pick any str or cha skills

Oramac
2016-01-29, 02:03 PM
dragonborn wizard that don't pick any str or cha skills

My dad is actually going to be playing exactly this in a game we have coming up.

Cybren
2016-01-29, 02:12 PM
I'm just looking for ideals and wanting to see what other people are playing and why they like it.
Is that fine by you Negative Nancy. Is there not a charter or build that you like to play and want to tell other people why you injoy it so much? And yes im not concerned with optimization but optimize build and be just as fun then a dragonborn wizard that don't pick any str or cha skills
There's no harm in playing the way you like to play- but if you're after "builds" with no particular criteria then how is "try a straight version of a class you think is interesting" less valid than "this combo of classes and abilities?

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 03:01 PM
There's no harm in playing the way you like to play- but if you're after "builds" with no particular criteria then how is "try a straight version of a class you think is interesting" less valid than "this combo of classes and abilities?

A build can be single class. And asking other people for their favorite builds might provide something that you never seen or thought of. I would like to play a strsight class I am right now. But that statement doesn't help it to vague. Why play a straight wizard what's school? What are some fun thing can I do? What spells do you enjoy? Ect..... I started this thread to see what other people are creating. And so other people can discuss different things that they're doing with their characters. 2 people might be playing a life cleric but they're playing there like life clerics totally different and one post ok cool combo that they'll enjoy in the other life cleric might not recognize.

I don't want to argue with you but your initial statement came off as a little rude and if it wasn't meant to be rude then I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Skylivedk
2016-01-29, 03:06 PM

Bames Jond

Stats (after racials):

-----------------------------

EDIT: Also, personally, I really enjoy playing just a straight up Vengeance Paladin. No multiclassing, no frills. Just grab a Greatsword and start slaying evil.

Ought Bames not be an Assassin and use a hand-crossbow? I also really hope, you've got Poney Menny the Knowledge Cler(i)c in your group... Perhaps U the Gnome Tinker as well?

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 03:07 PM
My dad is actually going to be playing exactly this in a game we have coming up.

That should be fun

Oramac
2016-01-29, 03:37 PM
Ought Bames not be an Assassin and use a hand-crossbow? I also really hope, you've got Poney Menny the Knowledge Cler(i)c in your group... Perhaps U the Gnome Tinker as well?

He certainly could. If you wanted to build it that way, go for it! I just decided I wanted to build it with a melee focus, as a lot of Daniel Craig's Bond films have him fighting hand-to-hand, but not often with a sniper rifle.

As for the other characters, that would be great!! No idea if the group would agree to it, but it'd be fun.

bid
2016-01-29, 08:06 PM
Which would let you start the game with two 15's and a 16 CHA, plus three 10s.
That's a weird idea, what do you gain by going 15/15 instead of 16/14?

Klorox
2016-01-30, 02:08 AM

I like playing against type.

I saw a dragonborn rogue the other day. Low CHA, low STR. He was just a cool character concept.

You can effectively make a dwarf wizard gish by being a single classed dwarf. Mountain dwarf gets free medium armor proficiency. Just take green flame blade or booming blade and you're set.

krunchyfrogg
2016-09-07, 06:05 PM
Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric.

You only need WISDOM. Choose Shillelagh. WISDOM to attack, WISDOM for spells.

Since you're a Dwarf, you don't care about heavy armor.

JAL_1138
2016-09-07, 08:35 PM
Half-Elf Valor Bard, Crossbow Expert (eventually Sharpshooter, not there yet). No, it's not the highest damage archer build (yet...it can get surprisingly competitive eventually), nor as powerful a caster as a Lore bard...but I can basically do a little bit of everything reasonably well. So I never really get into a situation I can't usefully contribute in, so long as the dice-gods are kind.

Another one is a Variant-Human Oath of the Ancients Paladin with the Shield Master feat. I rarely fail to knock enemies down with the bonus-action Shove, meaning I get Advantage on my subsequent attacks and enemies get Disadvantage to their opportunity attacks and their move speed is halved.

I'm also a fan of [insert race with favorable stats here] Knowledge Domain clerics, which make pretty good skillmonkies thanks to their domain features (Double proficiency in two skills from a very limited selection, and can use Channel Divinity to become proficient in any one tool or skill for ten minutes, and eventually get to use Channel Divinity to read thoughts and cast Suggestion), and have all the usual cleric goodies (such as the ever-useful Guidance cantrip, to further help the skillmonkeying). Their domain spells are fairly good utility-caster spells. If you've ever been torn about whether to play a bard or a cleric, go for this domain. However, none of their subclass features are of much use in combat.

Byke
2016-09-08, 10:07 AM
Fun build? Variant Human Wild Magic sorcerer with Lucky. The rerolls should prevent the wild magic surges that can TPK you (fireball centred on party, and such), plus its thematic.

On the same vein, Halfling // Diviner // Lucky Feat...no chance of blowing up the party and you can pretty much mess with other players and DMs reality whenever you want.

RulesJD
2016-09-08, 10:17 AM
On the same vein, Halfling // Diviner // Lucky Feat...no chance of blowing up the party and you can pretty much mess with other players and DMs reality whenever you want.

Except you can't reroll Wild Magic Surge rolls. Lucky (both halfling and feat) only applies to attacks, saving throws, and ability checks.

Hudsonian
2016-09-08, 01:16 PM
I also REALLY like the wood elf champion 3/thief x with expertise in athletics/acrobatics and sleight of hand. action dash, pickpocket the enemy wizards spell focus/material pouch. Next turn steal the archer's quiver. Then waylay with 10% critical SA on anyone you have advantage on. Pick up mobile at thief 4. that way you don't have to worry so much about Disengage. Find a pair of boots of Haste.

Mad Puppy
2016-09-08, 07:38 PM
Here is a Silly off-the-Wall option to play.
After all the original poster wanted Fun first and foremost:

The Wonder Twins Zan & Jayna, with trusty sidekick Gleek!
Half-Elf Twins

Zan is a half-Elf Conjurer (Gleek is his Monkey familiar)
Jayna is a Half Wood Elf Circle of the Moon Druid (transforms into animals)
However....The Wonder Twins Archetype powers are activated when they touch each other and speak the phrase, "Wonder Twin powers activate!" Physical contact is required. If the two are out of reach of each other, they are unable to activate their powers. As they are about to transform/conjur, they would each announce their intended form/shape.
Zan: "Form of...", creating his conjuration
Jayna: "Shape of..." transforming into her animal form

Sounds pretty fun actually :tongue:

Klorox
2016-09-08, 09:28 PM
How about a halfling beastmaster ranger with a monkey familiar?

You could have Dora the explorer (and teach Spanish too!).

Pichu
2016-09-08, 09:43 PM
Be a 5th level Red Drgonborn Blue Draconic Sorcerer named Mary Jane. You now have speed (Haste) and are Mary Jane the Purple Dragon.

Oramac
2016-09-09, 11:54 AM

Our group for Strahd used this idea.

3 Halfling Divination Wizards, all with the Lucky Feat

1 Halfling Bard/Div Wizard, with Lucky

1 Halfling Cleric/Div Wizard, with Lucky.

We had re-rolls for days. It was hilarious. And tons of fun.

Byke
2016-09-09, 01:03 PM
Our group for Strahd used this idea.

3 Halfling Divination Wizards, all with the Lucky Feat

1 Halfling Bard/Div Wizard, with Lucky

1 Halfling Cleric/Div Wizard, with Lucky.

We had re-rolls for days. It was hilarious. And tons of fun.

As a DM I would have laughed when I saw the group comp :)

Oramac
2016-09-09, 02:34 PM

Our DM laughed and cried in equal proportion, I believe. :D

JAL_1138
2016-09-09, 03:26 PM

I think I might have run screaming, then called my old DM up to apologize for all the shenanigans I tried that led to me getting banned from playing gnomes. :smalltongue:

Klorox
2017-03-20, 09:46 AM
I hear the goblin arcane trickster is a lot of fun.

Bgharcourt
2017-03-20, 10:05 AM
Rock gnome Barbarian. A tiny ball of hate.

Maxilian
2017-03-20, 10:38 AM

Forget about STR, and get 2 Warlock lvls so you can go with CHA as your main stat, and Dex as your second :P

Make all your undead, Skeletons with Bows, use bones as arrows why? Cause edgy, also get a group of instrument and make your skeletons play the "Spooky scary skeleton" song everytime someone start yelling at you because "NECRO SPELLS EVIL!"

Maxilian
2017-03-20, 10:50 AM
How about a halfling beastmaster ranger with a monkey familiar?

You could have Dora the explorer (and teach Spanish too!).

As a spanish speaker, i feel the need to make this character in a Roll20 campaign...

BTW, Why Ranger Beastmaster? unless the familiar thing was a miss-spell.

Note: By familiar is the Find Familiar spell, or did you mean the BM pet? cause in this case you got 2 pets, unless... you want to make the Familiar your backpack or map.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/maribel-gap/87096-dora-gossip-titter-5.jpg

Finlam
2017-03-20, 01:38 PM

Is That Your Final Roll?

Lightfoot Halfing

Start as a Wild-Magic Sorceror go for 6 levels. This nets us:

level 1 - Tides of Chaos, Lucky (Halfling)
level 4 - Lucky (feat)
level 6 - Bend Luck

Now pick up 2 levels of Divination Wizard which gets us:
level 8 - Portent

Finally, finish it out with College of Lore Bard which gives:
level 9 - Bardic Inspiration
level 11 - Cutting Words

You are the master of the dice, chooser of your own fate: no roll is final until you say it is.

Attack Roll - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Ability Check - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Saying Throw - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), subtract 1d6 (reaction, enemies only 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Enemy Attack - Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), subtract 1d6 (reaction, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

In addition, you will never fail to counterspell between Jack of All Trades, and numerous abilities to manipulate (add or gain advantage on) your spellcasting ability check.

As a bonus, take the build to Bard 5 to get your Bardic Inspiration recharged on a short rest and increased to a d8.
-------------

This build is playable at every level and only gets better over time, spellcasting, proficiencies, expertise, utility. Definitely not a straight combat build, but it could easily trivialize some encounters by attacking the one thing no monster can protect: their dice.

The part I like best about this build is that your agency extends into the Meta, you control not only your character, but everything going on around your character to the degree that you want from heavy handed (Portent, lucky) to light touches (Bardic Inspiration, Tides of Chaos).

You are not an agent of Chaos or Control within the game world, you are chaos within the GAME system. No roll is final until you permit it, every important event can be influenced, and you are now metaphysically linked to everything happening around you in the game.

You are not a PC, you are luck given form.

E’Tallitnics
2017-03-20, 02:36 PM
Is That Your Final Roll?

Lightfoot Halfing

level 4 - Lucky (feat)
level 6 - Tides of Chaos

level 8 - Portent

level 11 - Cutting Words

You are the master of the dice, chooser of your own fate: no roll is final until you say it is.

Attack Roll - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Ability Check - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Saying Throw - Re-roll all 1's (once per roll), Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Advantage (once per long rest or magic surge), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), Add 1d6 (Ally only, 1 per Cha per long rest), subtract 1d6 (reaction, enemies only 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

Enemy Attack - Re-roll any roll (costs 1 luck point), Add or subtract 1d4 (reaction and 2 sorcery points), subtract 1d6 (reaction, 1 per Cha per long rest), Replace roll result (2 per long rest, any creature, before roll)

In addition, you will never fail to counterspell between Jack of All Trades, and numerous abilities to manipulate (add or gain advantage on) your spellcasting ability check.

As a bonus, take the build to Bard 5 to get your Bardic Inspiration recharged on a short rest and increased to a d8.
-------------

This build is playable at every level and only gets better over time, spellcasting, proficiencies, expertise, utility. Definitely not a straight combat build, but it could easily trivialize some encounters by attacking the one thing no monster can protect: their dice.

The part I like best about this build is that your agency extends into the Meta, you control not only your character, but everything going on around your character to the degree that you want from heavy handed (Portent, lucky) to light touches (Bardic Inspiration, Tides of Chaos).

You are not an agent of Chaos or Control within the game world, you are chaos within the GAME system. No roll is final until you permit it, every important event can be influenced, and you are now metaphysically linked to everything happening around you in the game.

Well, I know what my next AL PC is going to be. Thanks!

krunchyfrogg
2017-03-22, 07:25 PM
Is That Your Final Roll?

Lightfoot Halfing

level 4 - Lucky (feat)
level 6 - Bend Luck

level 8 - Portent

level 11 - Cutting Words

-------------

I love this.

Klorox
2017-03-22, 11:01 PM
As a spanish speaker, i feel the need to make this character in a Roll20 campaign...

BTW, Why Ranger Beastmaster? unless the familiar thing was a miss-spell.

Note: By familiar is the Find Familiar spell, or did you mean the BM pet? cause in this case you got 2 pets, unless... you want to make the Familiar your backpack or map.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/maribel-gap/87096-dora-gossip-titter-5.jpg

Yeah, I didn't mean familiar.