PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Drama Accepting Death

Esprit15
2016-01-23, 08:51 AM
So as we all know, there are some people who don't come into a game realizing that things can quickly turn south. Case and point tonight when the party sorcerer was very nearly poisoned to death by a phase spider, and was visibly becoming frustrated and then depressed that his first character was quite likely going to die, before the party finally got their act together and killed the thing.

I don't like pulling punches as a DM, so short of that, how do I get a player to accept that death is a part of the game? What are ways to help a player accept the risk in the game without just seeing it as "Alright, fine, I'll go reroll. Whatever."

Lalliman
2016-01-23, 09:45 AM
It's a matter of playing style. Some people enjoy the constant threat of death while some don't. The latter people tend to still accept their character dying if it's a memorable death and they feel like their character accomplished something. Death by phase spider isn't a terrible way to go (better than being crit by a random wolf that should've been an easy encounter), but it doesn't make for an interesting story to tell either, so that might be it.

I've never personally encountered anyone who is legitimately and utterly unwilling to let their character die. I wouldn't know what to do with that.

Fri
2016-01-23, 09:50 AM
Here's the thing.

I always say, when you first start a game, there's a couple of things everyone in the table should agree first, or at least know. Except if you're playing with a long-time group of friends who already know each other's playstyle forever. Or sometimes even then.

Some examples that everyone should agree/know first are: the supposed genre of the game, is it a sandboxy or something with story, etc.

And one of the more important thing to establish at the beginning of the session is. How deadly the game is supposed to be.

Yes, it's important to establish, especially when you just begin to play together. You might say "but people are supposed to die in the game," etc, but that's your default assumption, and people's default assumptions are different. There's a couple "deadly level" I've seen in games, for example, people can only die when it's dramatically appropriate, people can die if they make really bad decisions, people can die from a single bad roll, etc.

Some people argues that "when you can't die all the time there's no stake or tension" or whatever, but no. I played games where everyone can die with a single bad roll, and I played games when people only die when say, they decide to hold the army of orcs while the rest of the party escapes (other than that they just get knocked uncouncious). Death isn't the only source of stakes, there are other stakes like political situation, economical situation, people you care about, etc. But Death is a powerful stake. Just let players be prepared that their character can die in combat by mentioning that when you start the game.

But for this case, since it's been done, just be sympathetic to the player, realize it's his first character, pat his back a bit, say you're sorry, mention that it can happen and you should've prepared him for that, and help him make his next character.

illyahr
2016-01-23, 11:13 AM
In a game with an established afterlife, just have them keep the character aware until they are "retrieved" by their guide to the afterlife. They can go with their guide, or can stay around to see if they are going to be revived. If not, let them haunt their former party.

Necroticplague
2016-01-23, 11:39 AM
In my experience, frustration comes not from the possibility of death, but the appearence of the arbitrariness of it. Nobody would like it if you suddenly went 'oh and by the way, your dead' without any interaction. Similarly, any death should have them able to point at where they went wrong. The phase spider would be frustrating because there likely wasn't much he could do about it that wasn't basically just praying for good luck (ie, it would die before he did while they trade hits). Also a reason why I am incredibly loathe to use save-or-die.

Gastronomie
2016-01-23, 12:00 PM
Unless you're playing something like Paranoia or Call of Cthulhu, IMO the DM should make sure the players don't die too easily. Even if all their HP hit 0 against a squad of drows due to unlucky rolls, you could have them wake up imprisoned but yet definitely alive, as soon-to-be-sacrificed tributes of some vile ritual. Then, if the PCs can't find their own way out, maybe something even nastier than the drow raids upon the site, and the PCs manage to escape...only to find themselves in the harsh Underdark with no real way out. Which would prolly get the adventurers moving.

I'm not saying Deus Ex Machina is a good thing, but it's better than saying "your characters are dead because you rolled terrible".

Or, if it's a grittier world, at least make sure the dead characters aren't "meaningless" and have some impact on the later game. Maybe the NPC the dead PC Paladin befriended later becomes a Vengeance Paladin and aids the newly created PC in his fight against the same great evil. The dead wizard's friend from Hogwarts (or, you know, whereever he learnt how to use magic) could show up as well. You know, something that makes the players feel that while their former characters might be dead, their lives had meaning, and they're still living in the hearts of other people.

Thrudd
2016-01-23, 12:15 PM
So as we all know, there are some people who don't come into a game realizing that things can quickly turn south. Case and point tonight when the party sorcerer was very nearly poisoned to death by a phase spider, and was visibly becoming frustrated and then depressed that his first character was quite likely going to die, before the party finally got their act together and killed the thing.

I don't like pulling punches as a DM, so short of that, how do I get a player to accept that death is a part of the game? What are ways to help a player accept the risk in the game without just seeing it as "Alright, fine, I'll go reroll. Whatever."

Tell them in the beginning. "I don't pull punches, the dice fall where they may. That means there is a chance any character could die at any time. Be prepared for that." Also describe what your policies are for the aftermath of death, new character one level lower, the possibility of resurrection/costs and availability, etc.

Mastikator
2016-01-23, 12:34 PM
Tell them in the beginning. "I don't pull punches, the dice fall where they may. That means there is a chance any character could die at any time. Be prepared for that." Also describe what your policies are for the aftermath of death, new character one level lower, the possibility of resurrection/costs and availability, etc.

This. They have to start out expecting death to be a possible outcome and accept that in advance. They basically have to think "if I go into this dank cave I might actually die, but I could also have an awesome adventure". Otherwise they'll get sad when death eventually does come from them- and it always eventually does, or they start fearing it.
I've seen players treat plot hooks as unnecessary risks and actively avoid adventure for the sake of safety. Oh boy can it be frustrating to deal with either of these cases as a DM.

NichG
2016-01-23, 12:55 PM
It's a balance. The more that players can expect death as a likely outcome (with permanent consequences), the less it makes sense for them to take risks solely for the sake of adventure. Trying to have both as a DM is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

So the more that death is a real risk, the more certainty you must provide that whatever stands to be gained in that cave is truly worth that risk. Keeping in mind that the players already expect to get the power curve of the game for free if they successfully minimize risk, so it must be above and beyond.

Or, you make death less consequential, in which case risk for fun becomes reasonable.

Or, you have an indicator. I had a DM for a Slayers d20 game who assigned each scene a comedy rating. In a Comedic scene, violence generally just knocks people out even in extreme cases like detonating an entire city. In a Neutral scene, death is possible, but accepting defeat means capture or being messed with, rather than execution. In a Serious scene, there will be no mercy and death is likely. Actions in a scene can shift it - if big changes are on the line, it moves towards Serious. If you act zany and take pratfalls, you can push Neural to Comedic, or even Serious to Comedic if you get the opposition to engage with your comedy, at the cost of basically making the outcome of the conflict not really change anything.

In that setting, there are quite a few extremely overpowered evil beings flitting about, but they just can't understand the Comedic end, so you can neutralize them by not letting things get serious when trying to deal with them. But that in turn means you don't really get the chance to 'take them out' at that point, you just weather them.

Eisenheim
2016-01-23, 01:13 PM
This section from the fate SRD is a great read when thinking about characters losing and character death, and none of it is system limited.

http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/conflicts#getting-taken-out

If you read the character death section, it has some thoughts about why sudden death is often an uninteresting result, which I agree with.

Quertus
2016-01-23, 01:53 PM
It's a matter of playing style. Some people enjoy the constant threat of death while some don't. The latter people tend to still accept their character dying if it's a memorable death and they feel like their character accomplished something. Death by phase spider isn't a terrible way to go (better than being crit by a random wolf that should've been an easy encounter), but it doesn't make for an interesting story to tell either, so that might be it.

I've never personally encountered anyone who is legitimately and utterly unwilling to let their character die. I wouldn't know what to do with that.

Characters with history are richer than characters fresh off the presses. Subsequently, I prefer not to have characters die. That having been said, I've had hundreds of characters die. Some deaths are better than others.

For me, the question is whether the death is realistic / reasonable / that v word. If characters only die at dramatically appropriate times, then death - and the struggle against it - loses its meaning / value for me.

Some of the people I play with take it a bit further, and don't want the struggle to be life and death. They also get upset at the idea of PvP. They want to tell their character's story. Ending the story doesn't help - it means that they need to find and grow attached to a new story. Or, at least, that's the best I can figure it.

For this particular player, I recommend talking to them, seeing what their expectations and comfort level are. Along those lines... how comfortable are you with not death? With making the character's struggle not be a matter of life and death? One DMs response to this problem brought us the tale of Arnd, and his armor of legend. Another possible response, while still keeping the combat focus, might be to encourage amulet of emergency healing, ring of nine lives, contingency, etc. Or you could modify the opposition to focus on foes that deal stat drain, or that want to capture instead of kill the party, etc.

Darth Ultron
2016-01-23, 01:58 PM

I'll agree with this.

Sadly, with all too many modern gamers, a Dm has to take hours and hours to explain everything about the style of game play that will be used in the game. The DM needs to define every word used and give examples too fully have each player understand everything.

And this is on top of the talk about how the game uses common sense reality (''fire is hot and will burn your character'') and the we don't use your crazy old DM's house rules (''magic missile does not bounce around and kill 1d100 monsters'').

Satinavian
2016-01-23, 02:43 PM
This. They have to start out expecting death to be a possible outcome and accept that in advance. They basically have to think "if I go into this dank cave I might actually die, but I could also have an awesome adventure". Otherwise they'll get sad when death eventually does come from them- and it always eventually does, or they start fearing it.
I've seen players treat plot hooks as unnecessary risks and actively avoid adventure for the sake of safety. Oh boy can it be frustrating to deal with either of these cases as a DM.
So you have players who don't like to die.

Then you tell them, that you don't pull punches and that your adventures are risky.

And then you are surprised if they skip several plots ?

Trying to avoid dangers is the normal outcome in a game without safety net and death-averse players. How else are they supposed to avoid death ?

Anonymouswizard
2016-01-23, 03:38 PM
It's very important to get the playstyle you're going for out in the open. In the next game I run I'm going to specifically warn my players that I'm not going to pull punches and the game has been balanced on the deadly side (especially if they go in with a balanced group of characters able to get to the end under their own steam), so they should try to use their resources and powers to minimise risk and try for certain wins (essentially I'm going to be running Combat as War, while the players are used to combat as sport, I want to push them out of their combat zone). One of the big scenes includes the fact that if they take it at face value they'll probably die, but if they recruit some allies, get into defensive position, and abuse the magic their opponents don't have access to (basically any), the objective itself becomes trivial and the players can decide if they want to try for more.

In my current game (different group), there's an unspoken agreement we want character death to be possible even if it's not dramatic, and for characters who charge headlong at gunlines to require insane luck. This has included the party avoid all bar two combats in the game so far, one easily won when the enemy routed when we proved that at least two of us were not only better armed, but were wearing armour (plus a helpful case of the elf creeping the enemy out), the other where the enemy ran after hitting the two of us in the combat with poisoned darts and taking almost enough damage to drop. Every other time we managed to happily blunder past them with a mixture of having three faces in the party, actually finding clues instead of encounters, and being component at all those Intelligence skills that get you past combat (including public speaking/leadership, leading to an angry mob immediately following my PC and forgetting that their original ringleader was a slayer who wanted to kill the Skaven). Most of us would be fine with character death, it's just 4/5 of us want to make sure we stack the field in out favour, send the sneaky guy into scout, have backup on standby for if things go wrong, and carry equipment better than whatever the opposition is using (which means that when we go and intentionally confront bad guys instead of trying to be inconspicuous, my warrior priest will be packing his infantry helmet and rifle, along with gas mask, the shadow dancer will go in and scout out the place before reporting back and will then be on psyching out the enemy and teleportation, the alchemist will use bombs and gas to weaken the enemy, the engineer will probably be asking why don't we just talk to them, and I'm not even sure how many weapons the Skaven is carrying [2+ knives, 2+ garrottes, I think he also carries a pistol? he might also have a rifle stashed away somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if he carried poison as well, and that's before getting into the fact his clothing is actually enchanted to act as armour). The only reason we'd be going in unbuffed is to save energy for healing.

In another group I've played in, the important thing is to feel powerful, and so a combat which is a legitimate challenge and could cause character death would be a surprise. For example, the last game I played with my current group included the 5 PCs, 4 with little combat abilities, and 5 NPC allies pretty much all armed with pistols, against about 7 high level demons (generally dealt with by special teams using assault weaponry) and effectively a low-ranking archdemon (translation: oh **** where are those guys with assault rifles), and 2 extremely powerful bestia demons we bypassed by opening the door, looking, closing the door, and using the back door. We won that battle with a desperate strategy of realising we had spent too much time taking down the high level demons and not enough on the archdemon, so our ninja jumped through the hellbarrier twice to save the sacrifice to be, before our disabled nun pushed her way though to blast the archdemon with holy fire. In my group before the current one the fact that a character took almost half their hp from getting to the 'boss' would have been seen as the GM being unfair. In my current one it's seen as trying to stop us from winning the final battle without trying.

...Just to clarify I have never had my character attempt to sap a low-ranking archdemon's resolve in order to be able to use my control demon power on it. I realised I probably could too late in the battle (it would then have just ended up with me commanding the archdemon to kill it's lieutenants, and then sit still while we exorcise it back to hell). I ended up mainly using that power to simplify interrogating a demon.

JAL_1138
2016-01-23, 04:57 PM
Play AD&D. Instant death at 0HP, roll for hit point total at first level, limited Con bonus that only starts at very high stats and is capped for non-Fighters.

I lost so many characters back in the day I start to get twitchy if one lives too long now.

NorthernPhoenix
2016-01-23, 05:36 PM

That's probably the fastest way for the OP to have his player not care about his characters, which he seems to be trying to avoid. I know that when i play games where your character can get randomly gibbed at any time, i usually take death with a slight sigh then assembly line the next one into action. Death matters more when its rare and impactfull, at least in my opinion.

Thrudd
2016-01-23, 05:52 PM
That's probably the fastest way for the OP to have his player not care about his characters, which he seems to be trying to avoid. I know that when i play games where your character can get randomly gibbed at any time, i usually take death with a slight sigh then assembly line the next one into action. Death matters more when its rare and impactfull, at least in my opinion.

That may be true, but those are the rules of D&D. You roll the dice, roll damage, apply to hp.
Conversely, the player may care more about what they do and why they do it in the game, because they don't want the chatacter to die.

Also, since AD&D, there are mechanics in place to help survivability: negative hp, death saves, easy stabilizing of dying characters, etc. 5e is extremely lenient, imo.

The balance is in the hands of the DM, making sure challenges aren't so excessive that you go through an assembly line of characters, at the same time having enough challenge that the players need to think and use care to accomplish their goals.

When the characters can die according to the rules, the game is about the players solving problems more than it is about telling a story about specific characters.

Mastikator
2016-01-23, 07:31 PM
So you have players who don't like to die.

Then you tell them, that you don't pull punches and that your adventures are risky.

And then you are surprised if they skip several plots ?

Trying to avoid dangers is the normal outcome in a game without safety net and death-averse players. How else are they supposed to avoid death ?

Nobody likes to die. But you have to accept that dying is a part of the game. Otherwise you're not gonna have a game, you're just gonna have a player dragging everyone else down and preventing adventure from happening.

NichG
2016-01-23, 07:36 PM
Nobody likes to die. But you have to accept that dying is a part of the game. Otherwise you're not gonna have a game, you're just gonna have a player dragging everyone else down and preventing adventure from happening.

You can have entire campaigns where none of the PCs actually end up dying and it doesn't really change much.

Eisenheim
2016-01-23, 08:52 PM
the default in fate is for character death to be choice on the player's part, and you can totally have games in fate.
I'm not saying that "let the chips fall where they may and PCs can die whenever the dice decree." isn't valid, but suggesting it's the only way to have a game, in any system, is absurd.

Edit: additional thought.

The rules of D&D are a system that people can use to play a game, but there's absolutely no reason to stick to any particular one of the, if everyone in the group would rather do it another way. Roleplaying is supposed to be fun thing we do as a group. The moment a rule gets in the way of that, throw it under the bus.

JAL_1138
2016-01-23, 09:41 PM
the default in fate is for character death to be choice on the player's part, and you can totally have games in fate.
I'm not saying that "let the chips fall where they may and PCs can die whenever the dice decree." isn't valid, but suggesting it's the only way to have a game, in any system, is absurd.

The rules of D&D are a system that people can use to play a game, but there's absolutely no reason to stick to any particular one of the, if everyone in the group would rather do it another way. Roleplaying is supposed to be fun thing we do as a group. The moment a rule gets in the way of that, throw it under the bus.

I think what was being implied is that it ceases to be a game if everyone but one person is on board with character death. Because then it's an argument, or at least one person being upset [EDIT: or trying to discourage the party from doing anything that might get their character killed, or refusing to take risks that'd keep the game moving, etc., holding everything up] instead of people having fun playing a game. Not that no deaths = not a game.

Thrudd
2016-01-23, 09:42 PM

Sure, people have been doing that since D&D first came out. That's why we have so many different RPG systems now, including Fate.

No one said having dice-based character death was the only way, in any system. It is the way of D&D, and the OP apparently had issue communicating that to players expecting a different kind of game.

The default in D&D is as right for D&D, as the default for Fate is right for playing Fate.

Another point: one player that doesn't understand the rules of the game is not cause to throw out the game or change the rules. Teach them the rules, so they can properly play the game and get better at it.

Describing the rules of a game to players before they start playing is an essential and time honored tradition. Thinking all RPGs are alike and not asking or telling how to play is like thinking all board games are the same, and expecting Risk when you're playing Axis and Allies. In the case of tabletop RPGs, it is even worse, because every table is essentially playing a different game, despite using the same game system and rule books. So it is even more essential for the DM to tell new players the rules of the game, and what to expect.

goto124
2016-01-23, 10:03 PM
Once, I played a game. Helped people, made friends, obtained magic items, the usual stuff. It was fun.

Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked my first character died.

From then on, the gloom of 'if you die you will lose everything' hung over my head. I became paranoid, stopped going out so much, spent a lot of time staying safe, even avoided talking to people lest I accidentally make someone angry, which could lead to death.

My enthusiasm eventually died as well, and I stopped playing.

veti
2016-01-23, 10:22 PM
It's a balance. The more that players can expect death as a likely outcome (with permanent consequences), the less it makes sense for them to take risks solely for the sake of adventure. Trying to have both as a DM is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

So the more that death is a real risk, the more certainty you must provide that whatever stands to be gained in that cave is truly worth that risk.

That's fine, if the players felt they had real, meaningful choices about where to go. That is to say, there were at least two or three feasible, potentially-rewarding places they could have gone, and this one was clearly labelled "high-risk" compared with the others.

But that's often not the case. If the players only found one plot hook/lead, and it directed them into this cave, then they'll likely feel they were railroaded in here. And although it may be theoretically true that they didn't have to come this way, that's not how they'll see it. Killing them in that case is - harsh, and should be avoided if possible.

In the case of a phase spider: I wouldn't hesitate to fudge the damage and/or poison damage rolls as necessary to keep the PC alive-but-unconscious, and his/her mates should be more than able to distract the spider long enough to stabilise them. Spiders are neither intelligent, nor particularly vindictive, and there's no profit for them in finishing off one victim if its mates won't let it alone to eat them.

JAL_1138
2016-01-23, 11:07 PM
Once, I played a game. Helped people, made friends, obtained magic items, the usual stuff. It was fun.

Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked my first character died.

From then on, the gloom of 'if you die you will lose everything' hung over my head. I became paranoid, stopped going out so much, spent a lot of time staying safe, even avoided talking to people lest I accidentally make someone angry, which could lead to death.

My enthusiasm eventually died as well, and I stopped playing.

That's fine, if the players felt they had real, meaningful choices about where to go. That is to say, there were at least two or three feasible, potentially-rewarding places they could have gone, and this one was clearly labelled "high-risk" compared with the others.

But that's often not the case. If the players only found one plot hook/lead, and it directed them into this cave, then they'll likely feel they were railroaded in here. And although it may be theoretically true that they didn't have to come this way, that's not how they'll see it. Killing them in that case is - harsh, and should be avoided if possible.

In the case of a phase spider: I wouldn't hesitate to fudge the damage and/or poison damage rolls as necessary to keep the PC alive-but-unconscious, and his/her mates should be more than able to distract the spider long enough to stabilise them. Spiders are neither intelligent, nor particularly vindictive, and there's no profit for them in finishing off one victim if its mates won't let it alone to eat them.

I have the opposite reaction. I do tend to play like a paranoid nutcase--see my sig--but if I feel like the DM is fudging to keep me alive, I start feeling like my decisions don't matter, like there are no consequences, and I'm stuck following the rails without even the chance to lose. I wasn't kidding when I said I get twitchy if my character stays alive too long (or at least never gets close to death, in more recent editions, or if using the optional DMG sidebar -10hp rule in 2e). But playing like a paranoid nutcase doesn't mean I won't go into the Tomb of Horrors, just that I'm bringing a 10ft pole and some iron spikes and some rope and all the other adventuring gear. I'll bite the plot hook, just play it cautiously when I do. Because then, if I survive, I feel like I accomplished something, like all my survival tactics and roleplaying decisions achieved something. My skills, decisions, precautions, and plans (and luck) mattered. If I can't lose, if my character can't even get killed, I don't feel like I can really succeed or accomplish anything. It's like a participation trophy. (Exception of course being Planescape: Torment, where your main character can't die but oh Gods can you still fail.) But that's just me, and obviously different people react differently to character death.

NichG
2016-01-24, 12:48 AM

Well, if the players are already at the point where deciding 'we don't go into the cave, what else ya got?' is something they're doing... The cave example is kind of vague anyhow, and it matters what kind of campaign structure is in place. I'm assuming something that isn't strictly linear, so that the choice of 'we don't go into the cave' is actually not inherently nonsensical. If the campaign really is so linear that there isn't really a choice to not go into the cave, I don't see why the DM needs to be concerned with players refusing to go on the adventure - they're basically just saying 'hey, I don't want to play in this campaign', which is fine if its not to their tastes.

Satinavian
2016-01-24, 03:41 AM
If players don't like a game with lots of PC-deaths, you can't force them to like it. Neither can you force them to not try to limit the number of deaths. Because that is what they naturally would do to have fun in the game.

I have the opposite reaction. I do tend to play like a paranoid nutcase--see my sig--but if I feel like the DM is fudging to keep me alive, I start feeling like my decisions don't matter, like there are no consequences, and I'm stuck following the rails without even the chance to lose.Yes, that is another problem, especcially with mixed risk expactations in the same group. Personally i think the best way to get different player wishes together is to move the risk from character death to someonething else. It could be a meta-ressource which can be used to prevent a death but could also be used in other interesting ways or it could be a conflict that is not inherently deadly from the beginning. In both cases there is no need to fudge to keep people alive, there are still consequences and risks.
If this is still not enough and some players want explicitely risk of death, others don't, you could try different rules for different people, but i don't like that very much.

Ricky S
2016-01-24, 04:12 AM
There needs to be some sort of danger otherwise whats the point. I dont want my character to die but I played in a game once where no matter what happened the dm would ensure the party survived. I asked the Dm about it and he denied it so I kept doing stupidly dangerous acts and the Dm still didnt kill my character so i just quit because whats the point if there is no challenge

Actana
2016-01-24, 10:31 AM
What always interests me most about these discussions is how common the equation of "Losing = Death" seems to be. As if the only meaningful way to lose is to die, and as such the chance of death (=losing) needs to be there. Losing is one thing, losing by dying is another thing entirely and far, far more severe a consequence.

To me, if the only way to "lose" an encounter is to die, then that encounter is tremendously poorly constructed. Almost all encounters that aren't somehow climactic or otherwise super important should at least try to incorporate ways for the characters to lose without dying.

Mastikator
2016-01-24, 12:26 PM
You can have entire campaigns where none of the PCs actually end up dying and it doesn't really change much.

Having entire campaigns where the PCs are never in danger is not what this is about.

cucchulainnn
2016-01-24, 12:27 PM
for new player that is new to role playing games i treat is as a right of passage and make a celebration out of it. when DMing i make a big deal out of it. as a fellow player i do the same but only to the point of not disrupting other things. you'd be surprised almost everyone else at the table will join in with a condolences or congratulations. "you've popped your cherry and are one of us, :smallbiggrin:" maybe some reminiscing on our first death.

over the years i have found this really takes the sting out of it. it also helps people feel accepted as part of the group.

NichG
2016-01-24, 04:36 PM
Having entire campaigns where the PCs are never in danger is not what this is about.

On the contrary, there's been an implicit assumption in the OP's motivations that it is necessary to have a game where: the PCs are adventurous, the players are attached to their characters, characters die regularly enough to make the first two points difficult to achieve.

Addressing why one wants to have those three things is relevant, because it may be a misapprehension that danger = actualized death.

Esprit15
2016-01-24, 06:19 PM
On the contrary, I don't believe that death is necessary, I believe that it should not be off the table, and that tactical errors and failure to plan should have the proper consequences. The party didn't even try to identify the threat, so it did things they didn't expect. Sometimes this results in death, sometimes it just means that an important NPC is captured and they have to rescue them.

As a note, I did talk to the player in question, and we did come to more of an understanding on risk of danger, and even how the character can grow from this experience.

Mastikator
2016-01-24, 07:20 PM
On the contrary, there's been an implicit assumption in the OP's motivations that it is necessary to have a game where: the PCs are adventurous, the players are attached to their characters, characters die regularly enough to make the first two points difficult to achieve.

Addressing why one wants to have those three things is relevant, because it may be a misapprehension that danger = actualized death.

How can you have danger if death is not an actual risk? You don't have to die every round, you can be luckly and not die even though it was a risk, but if it wasn't a risk, if it wasn't something that could've realistically happen then how was there any danger?

NichG
2016-01-24, 07:57 PM
How can you have danger if death is not an actual risk? You don't have to die every round, you can be luckly and not die even though it was a risk, but if it wasn't a risk, if it wasn't something that could've realistically happen then how was there any danger?

Lots of ways. First: for most campaigns and rulesets, the danger is simply a well-crafted illusion. Hitpoints get low, people run dry of resources and feel taxed, but don't die. This is the case in the majority of game systems, where you need to have the game be stable over the course of 40+ fights without a TPK.

Secondly, you can have danger where the preventative is clear. This is by and large the kind of danger that real people will experience during their lives. You don't have to get into a car accident to sense that a loss of control while driving is dangerous. If you start to feel that loss of control in small steps (car doesn't stop as quickly as you think it should, slips around on an icy patch, etc), then the possibility 'if I were to drive like this on a highway I could be killed' makes the situation feel dangerous, even if you're not in imminent danger of death. Essentially, you can detect the danger associated with (dumb) things that could get you killed, even if you never do those dumb things or get killed. The only requirement from the DM here is to be willing to follow through if the player confirms an intention to go through with a suicidal idea - the DM doesn't have to go out of their way to create situations where failing to be smart gets you killed, just situations where being dumb gets you killed.

At a broader level, danger can be a danger of failure or collateral damage rather than a danger of death. If you don't do X correctly, the city gets leveled, your base gets captured and you have to go into hiding, etc.

Illusionary risk tends to lead to more irrational behavior than real risk, true. But if you think about it, that's exactly what's being requested. If all the danger is imminent risk of death, the rational thing is to stop adventuring, or (from the player's perspective) to detach from the character and treat them as expendable. The player who has their character say 'yeah, I don't think we can take the cave' is engaging in the realities you've presented by making the risk real - they're taking it seriously and thinking about the real consequences of their choices. This is, in effect, exactly what you've requested for them to do. Your only other choice at that point to force them to take risks is to basically pin them between unavoidable risks on both sides - going into the cave might kill them, not going into the cave might kill them - which tends to push towards the player detaching after the first couple of failures.

Squibsallotl
2016-01-24, 08:29 PM
My personal style of DMing is to make death a possibility only at key adventure/story moments. I try to structure each adventure into a series of quests which can be passed or failed. Each pass makes the final adventure confrontation easier, and each fail makes it harder. Example:

Adventure: Defeat the mad dragon who has taken over the city
Quest 1: free and recruit the captive city militia to help in the fight
Quest 2: retrieve the dragonslayer's arms and armor from a nearby catacomb

Neither quest 1 or 2 pose any real risk of player death, but they have fail conditions (e.g. the jailors kill the captive militia before the party reach them, or the catacomb's central chamber caves in if the fight against the undead takes too long). The final fight against the dragon however CAN kill players, with an exponentially greater risk if one or both of the side quests was failed.

Then even if a PC dies, they died heroically fighting the "end boss" of the adventure.

Mastikator
2016-01-24, 08:30 PM
If your hitpoints get sufficiently low, either zero or some negative number you typically die. Any game that features this is a game where death is a real possibility.
Any game that features food and water is a game where you can actually die. Unless the rules say that you can go indefinitely without food and water and it will only result in discomfort.

If you can die

then

you

can

die.

Sure, there are caveats about being able to reduce the risk, revert death through magic or science fiction, you can have game mechanics that let you get a second chance in case of imminent death. And those features can be great and make death feel less arbitrary.
And death feeling arbitrary is very much a bad thing, but non arbitrary feeling death is still death.

Edit- I'm not gonna argue about this anymore, I've said my piece about this issue. If death is possible and it will make you feel sad then you just need to figure out a way to deal with it, or play a game where it isn't.

PrincessCupcake
2016-01-24, 09:37 PM
As a note, I did talk to the player in question, and we did come to more of an understanding on risk of danger, and even how the character can grow from this experience.
Good to hear!

ImNotTrevor
2016-01-24, 11:12 PM
I personally think that Death is the LEAST interesting thing I can do to my PC's. No, really. It's boring and uninteresting. This doesn't mean I pull punches, but I still think death is boring.

I would much rather have characters find themselves in tense situations where they have to make choices between crappy option A and crappy option B. Or find ways to nudge still-alive characters into retirement for one reason or another. (Sometimes in ways that are disguised as success.)

It's always more interesting to me to see characters (and their players) squirm under the burden of emotionally difficult choices. Putting conundrums in their way that test their connections to one another and to the npcs they call friends. That's where things get fun. No no, I don't want you to DIE. Death is boring.

Nah. I want you to SUFFER.

And the thing is, since we have fun the whole way, those moments just feel dramatic and tense, a mini climax in the progression of events, as it were. A twist. Most of my players barely notice it.

I've done it to my players in their first game of Shadowrun.
None of my PCs are human. None of 'em.
They got hired by a Johnson working with the Humanis Policlub (basically the KKK except Human Power instead of White Power)
They're tasked with ruining an Ork bar. With a really likable bartender and staff.
But the pay is so damn good.
And getting on the bad side of the Policlub is a bad idea.
But the owner of the place is such a nice guy.

They played for 2 hours and were already squirming, but having fun while doing it. Laughter, jokes, asides, etc. But already, they feel the tension. And THAT is what I love. THAT is what I strive for. And I guarantee this bar or its staff will come up again. I guarantee it.

And it will be oh so sweet. >:D

Winter_Wolf
2016-01-25, 10:47 AM
First character death is tough for everyone. After the first time, it's a lot easier to accept. Besides, a lot of players I know and have read about would rather their character die than "just" lose Awesome Magic Item or Ability. True story.

Mortality and fatalities are a part of the game and they can and probably will happen if I'm in the GM chair. I'm not about "ha-Hah! Killed ya again!" play, but player character death as a possibility is how I roll. Anyway, you know what's worse than D&D death? Critical hit/fumble mechanics that screw over a character so much that you look for opportunities for the character to die. Ah, "good times, fun times" as an old college house mate used to say.

Esprit15
2016-01-25, 04:27 PM
Anyway, you know what's worse than D&D death? Critical hit/fumble mechanics that screw over a character so much that you look for opportunities for the character to die. Ah, "good times, fun times" as an old college house mate used to say.

Oh sheesh, don't get me started. One of my players panics any time he rolls a Nat 1 because he played with a DM that basically decided that the universe turns all its fury on you 5% of the time. "No, you're fine. Why? Because you still got a 20 on the skill check. Even on a bad day, your character is awesome enough at this that they don't make big mistakes." Sure, I'll do something more significant when someone crit fails a check that they're bad at, but even then, it is more for humor's sake.

MrStabby
2016-01-25, 06:02 PM
One thing I always wanted to try was the roll up a main character and roll up a backup at the start.

The backup is an NPC, or rather a non-combat PC. They do other adventures and activities whilst the party is away but share a stronghold or whatever. It acts as a plot hook (they bring news/maguffins) and if and when a character dies there is a backup ready to step in, with a history and a backstory and a bit of character already. By rolling up the character in advance (and leveling up as well) the player can actually get excited about the new guy and it takes the sting away from character death.

Apricot
2016-01-25, 06:17 PM
Something I haven't seen anyone else mention in quite so many words is that for characters that the player gets really attached to, you can "save" them while eliminating them utterly from the adventure. Maybe this is by keeping some part of the body for resurrection later, maybe it's by letting them have some kind of adventure in heaven/hell, maybe it's through something else entirely. Context determines how the character can come back. Either way, the key idea is that the player gets to keep their hard work and the character that they really love without just waving death away like it never happened. I think that's the problem that a lot of people have: it's not the metaphysical idea of death, it's that all their work and all their aspirations for that character have come to nothing. Make sure that they don't come to nothing, and the player should be happy.

There's nothing worse than disappointment.

Esprit15
2016-01-25, 08:15 PM
One thing I always wanted to try was the roll up a main character and roll up a backup at the start.

The backup is an NPC, or rather a non-combat PC. They do other adventures and activities whilst the party is away but share a stronghold or whatever. It acts as a plot hook (they bring news/maguffins) and if and when a character dies there is a backup ready to step in, with a history and a backstory and a bit of character already. By rolling up the character in advance (and leveling up as well) the player can actually get excited about the new guy and it takes the sting away from character death.

I enjoy this idea greatly, and doing something similar has actually helped the player in question a lot in being okay with his character possibly dying. Heck, part of the reason I did it was because it helped me get past a character of mine dying in a game last year. Sure, the guy was fun and had grown into the party face and leader, but now I was able to get excited about a new guy.

JAL_1138
2016-01-26, 08:48 AM
In my local gaming community, there's a running joke that "you've never really played AD&D" unless you've had:
*a character killed in their first combat (bonus points if it's in the first round, extra bonus points if it's before they've even acted in initiative),
*a character get dissolved by green slime,
*a character get (permanently) petrified,
*a character die due to water in some way (e.g., drowning or various aquatic monsters),
*a character die from failing a save-or-die,
*and a character killed (or, more rarely, retired at 0-level) by level-draining undead.

Obviously, it's completely possible to play AD&D without any of that happening, but it happened often enough to be a running gag amongst us grognards...

BWR
2016-01-26, 05:29 PM
In my local gaming community, there's a running joke that "you've never really played AD&D" unless you've had:
*a character killed in their first combat (bonus points if it's in the first round, extra bonus points if it's before they've even acted in initiative),
*a character get dissolved by green slime,
*a character get (permanently) petrified,
*a character die due to water in some way (e.g., drowning or various aquatic monsters),
*a character die from failing a save-or-die,
*and a character killed (or, more rarely, retired at 0-level) by level-draining undead.

Obviously, it's completely possible to play AD&D without any of that happening, but it happened often enough to be a running gag amongst us grognards...

Lessee, check on most of these, though with some penalty points for getting better (used a Wish to depetrify from another Wish. Damn spellturning ring).

mephnick
2016-01-26, 05:49 PM

Rule #1 of D&D survival: If there's ever a choice between crossing a lake/river on a boat or going around..you never get on the boat.

JAL_1138
2016-01-26, 06:13 PM
Rule #1 of D&D survival: If there's ever a choice between crossing a lake/river on a boat or going around..you never get on the boat.

Never. Ever. Get on the boat.

There are so many horrible things that can happen, and at least two of them probably will happen simultaneously.

Anonymouswizard
2016-01-26, 06:57 PM
Never. Ever. Get on the boat.

There are so many horrible things that can happen, and at least two of them probably will happen simultaneously.

Ah, water. I need to splay a character with a sailing skill at some point, just so that when we all end up on a ship and the GM tries to do some dramatic thing I can point out just why reality isn't so clear cut. Also, I'm certain many of the non-monster related things that can go wrong are just from inexperience (really, if your crew is halfway competent, you aren't capsizing even in rough winds), for a group of adventurers the worst things to happen outside of random sea serpents in the lake are springing a leak and dead wind (...which is why you carry a paddle or two), followed by getting lost. Really, apart from a badly made boat or not having the wind you need, I see little problems with getting on the boat that couldn't happen on land.

Really I think the problems with getting on the boat can only be reduced by getting on the boat more, as it gives the GM a chance to use those cool aquatic monsters they don't get to use.

goto124
2016-01-26, 09:27 PM
random sea serpents in the lake are springing a leak

And I thought the water itself is trying to kill you!

... I couldn't find that image of the hand of a water elemental dragging an woman to her doom, sadly.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dungeonsdragons/images/b/b9/Waterarchon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110329044147

JAL_1138
2016-01-27, 06:01 AM
Ah, water. I need to splay a character with a sailing skill at some point, just so that when we all end up on a ship and the GM tries to do some dramatic thing I can point out just why reality isn't so clear cut. Also, I'm certain many of the non-monster related things that can go wrong are just from inexperience (really, if your crew is halfway competent, you aren't capsizing even in rough winds), for a group of adventurers the worst things to happen outside of random sea serpents in the lake are springing a leak and dead wind (...which is why you carry a paddle or two), followed by getting lost. Really, apart from a badly made boat or not having the wind you need, I see little problems with getting on the boat that couldn't happen on land.

Really I think the problems with getting on the boat can only be reduced by getting on the boat more, as it gives the GM a chance to use those cool aquatic monsters they don't get to use.

You don't want to give the DM any chances to use aquatic monsters, because fighting aquatic monsters involves going near to, or worse into, the water. In AD&D, good luck with the brutal initiative penalty of 6 (on a d10), casting spells (pretty much LOLNOPE in the rules without the right spells and items), attacking (only thrusting weapons can be used effectively underwater; hope you brought a pike), swimming in armor (you don't in AD&D; if it's metal, you sink, by the rules), and not drowning (after 1/3 con score in rounds, becomes basically save-or-die with a cumulative penalty on each subsequent check). And you can only swim if you took the NWP for it, otherwise you'll probably drown straight away. WATER = BAD.

And it's not just aquatic monsters. It's any monster that happens to be near water. I lost a character in knee-deep or waist-deep water. A Lock Lurker stung my character; he failed the save vs paralysis, fell over paralyzed, and drowned.

And I thought the water itself is trying to kill you!

IT IS. I lost a character once to just drinking a bit of water, It wasn't even poisoned. But it had a Water Weird in it...think of the chestburster scene from Alien.