PDA

View Full Version : Need Help stat'ing high NPC

CptJackRabbit
2016-01-23, 05:25 PM
Ok, so here is the deal.. I consider myself an ST and not a GM. Reason being my players love my stories over a variety of games and systems. I am very good at plots, and atmospheres and et cetera, but I do have a weak point and that is mechanics... I generally drop the ball there. One of my players is the opposite of me... doesnt like coming up with stories, but thinks reading mechanics is about as much fun as a person can have, so he covers rules lawyering whilst i run games.

OK

that being said, I do have the base knowledges of dnd down, and understand levels and such, but I need help stat'ing out two very high npc's, for end game. One being a literal god, the other being a dragon lord. Im not really sure exactly how to stat these out to be sure they can function as gods or godlike, but still be believable. Particularly in 5th ed, which I am just getting used to.

All help is appreciated.

CJR

Foxhound438
2016-01-23, 05:36 PM
Tiamat, a literal god, is a CR 30. With that in mind it's probably going to have to be building whatever abilities fit the character, then going in post-hoc and adjusting power level, legendary action options+costs, etc. The MM shows a list of "proficiency bonus by cr", so take the highest one there (like a +9?). Depending on what god specifically you're looking at, put one or two stats at 30, some close to 20, and one or two close to 10 (not below). Give it proficency in 3-4 saving throw stats, whatever flavor skills, and "expertise" in perception, as well as a ton of movement speed or range (you don't want someone to just hide and kite it), and make one of its legendary action options a perception check. Again i don't know what god, so that's about as much good as i can do for you. Don't just re-skin some other monster, make it unique.

For a dragon lord... is it a non-dragon lord over dragons, or a dragon that is a lord?

For the latter just pick any old ancient dragon, give it some class levels for extra power, maybe a couple tack-on abilities, and have some young dragons/kobolds/half-dragons/etc accompany it. Not sure what to do for the prior.

CptJackRabbit
2016-01-23, 05:43 PM
Think a dragon that any other dragons would bow to.

the god idea comes from a new religion that is sweeping the land that removes the polythestic belief system inherent in the dnd world. Think like christianity replacing paganism. So I am trying to stat out this neutral god character. I tried using prior gods as a muse, but I just get lost.

So far what you stated is a help though. so thank you... i have a little more to look into.

JoeJ
2016-01-23, 08:50 PM
Are the PCs supposed to defeat these beings in straight combat? If so, then you should start by deciding what CR you want them to be, which should be determined in large part by what level the PCs will be when the fight takes place.

For your one god that is replacing the many gods, I wouldn't use stats at all. It's a plot device, not an opponent.

CptJackRabbit
2016-01-23, 10:03 PM
Are the PCs supposed to defeat these beings in straight combat? If so, then you should start by deciding what CR you want them to be, which should be determined in large part by what level the PCs will be when the fight takes place.

For your one god that is replacing the many gods, I wouldn't use stats at all. It's a plot device, not an opponent.

Ideally, that is the goal. However they may plot a venture to find this god, as if the old ones were findable at all... so i wanted to make it an option. The Dragon will be an actual combat, and they should be level 18+ by then.