PDA

View Full Version : Level 5-10

Starchild7309
2016-01-23, 08:54 PM
I have seen lots of builds on here for level 20. That's fine, well, and good, but how many campaigns either start or actually make it all the way to 20? In 5th here the sweet spot is around 5-10, you spend a good amount of time there. So what builds have you guys found that you enjoy playing most at those levels? Why that character?

I am not necessarily looking for the most powerful guy, unless that's why you like him. I want to see characters that are fun to play and let me know why. I know everyone has some character they played that they loved. What was his make up before her crossed the half way mark at 10?

For me its my Bladelock. He isn't 10 yet, but fun to play. He is currently Warlock 5/ Rogue 2. Playing in a world thats very gothic horror, he plays very much like a monster hunter.

Bellberith
2016-01-24, 12:03 AM
I have seen lots of builds on here for level 20. That's fine, well, and good, but how many campaigns either start or actually make it all the way to 20? In 5th here the sweet spot is around 5-10, you spend a good amount of time there. So what builds have you guys found that you enjoy playing most at those levels? Why that character?

I am not necessarily looking for the most powerful guy, unless that's why you like him. I want to see characters that are fun to play and let me know why. I know everyone has some character they played that they loved. What was his make up before her crossed the half way mark at 10?

For me its my Bladelock. He isn't 10 yet, but fun to play. He is currently Warlock 5/ Rogue 2. Playing in a world thats very gothic horror, he plays very much like a monster hunter.

I completely agree about the 5-10 thing. IMO its 3-11, but i have started making builds based around those levels recently for this very reason.

A really good build is Warlock 2 / Shadow Monk 6

You have the darkness and devil's sight plus a few spells from warlock (i like sleep and featherfall for utility.)

The shadow monk teleport + a few other tricks, decently strong build.

Baptor
2016-01-24, 12:04 AM

Is 5th-10th really the sweet spot of 5e? I'm not saying it's not, just that I've never heard anyone say that.

Oddly enough, those are the levels where I really want to play a full spellcaster. You aren't really gimped for power like 1-4 and you aren't so powerful you've got spells for everything like 11-20. 5-10 for me really is a "sweet spot" for playing full casters because I have just the right amount of spells/power.

Zman
2016-01-24, 12:27 AM
Fighter1/Sorcerer4
Fighter2/Sorcerer8

A blast of a melee sorcerer, can be completely unarmored and Dex based. Booming Blade and can be twinned, self buffs that can be quickened, offensive spells, and action Surge and Dueling from Fighter. Throw in Spell Sniper(Eldritch Blast) at Sorcerer 4 for tons of fun. No to mention 4th level spells.

Starchild7309
2016-01-24, 12:49 AM
Is 5th-10th really the sweet spot of 5e? I'm not saying it's not, just that I've never heard anyone say that.

Oddly enough, those are the levels where I really want to play a full spellcaster. You aren't really gimped for power like 1-4 and you aren't so powerful you've got spells for everything like 11-20. 5-10 for me really is a "sweet spot" for playing full casters because I have just the right amount of spells/power.

I don't think anyone calls it the sweet spot other than me and I was referencing the idea of the character coming into its own, able to hold its own in a fight, not feeling completely under powered, but also not overly powered either. Still room for growth, but enough "history" that the levels you have taken so far truly mean something. And as I said, I know very few people that play 20th level characters, but every build suggestion is level 20. Some of them, and more so in 3.5 than 5th were completely unplayable until you reached 16th or higher.

To put it another way, if an optimized 20th lever character is a showroom collector car...whats your everyday driver? Its not perfect but you enjoy it and it gets the job done.

ad_hoc
2016-01-24, 01:49 AM
I don't think anyone calls it the sweet spot other than me

Most of the people I have seen do as well.

Another forum recently did a poll on it and 5-10 (or whatever the specific range was) was the overwhelming majority.

Kane0
2016-01-24, 04:26 AM
I'd say 5-11. 11 is a pretty big level most of the time, a mini capstone if you will. After that your capabilities either flatten out or get a bit ridiculous.

Socratov
2016-01-24, 05:35 AM
I'm currently a Valor Bard 9, started at 7 and I am having a ball! Between Vicious Mockery (god I love this cantrip soooo much) and using it on my in-game best friend, who actually wastes his counterspells on countering them (yeah weird dynamic, but it works well in roleplay), the martial prowess and spells work wonders and the feat I got at lvl 1 (we all got a free feat) was sharpshooter so I always have someting to do. Now to get some dice who actually want to see me succeed.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-24, 07:42 AM
I completely agree about the 5-10 thing. IMO its 3-11, but i have started making builds based around those levels recently for this very reason.

A really good build is Warlock 2 / Shadow Monk 6

You have the darkness and devil's sight plus a few spells from warlock (i like sleep and featherfall for utility.)

The shadow monk teleport + a few other tricks, decently strong build.
I've played the shadow monk warlock it was fun.

Spacehamster
2016-01-24, 10:29 AM
My char is a lvl 6 a Half-Orc champion fighter, he keeps control with sentinel and polearm master and delivers nice powerful criticals, at lvl 10 he will be 6 champ, 1 rogue, 3 ranger hunter with horde breaker.

With that he will have lots of attacks 2-3 action depending if you can trigger horde breaker and 1 bonus action. He is also quite skilled with 7 skills which two will have expertise(stealth and athletics) he deals good damage, can scout and pick locks. Gorash Spinebreaker is his name. :)

Baptor
2016-01-24, 01:59 PM
I don't think anyone calls it the sweet spot other than me and I was referencing the idea of the character coming into its own, able to hold its own in a fight, not feeling completely under powered, but also not overly powered either. Still room for growth, but enough "history" that the levels you have taken so far truly mean something. And as I said, I know very few people that play 20th level characters, but every build suggestion is level 20. Some of them, and more so in 3.5 than 5th were completely unplayable until you reached 16th or higher.

To put it another way, if an optimized 20th lever character is a showroom collector car...whats your everyday driver? Its not perfect but you enjoy it and it gets the job done.

Ah OK. I totally agree with you on the 20th builds that keep popping up. I mean even if you play to 20, that is usually the end of the game (unless you're doing boons) and so who really cares what you can do at that level. People are always saying this level 20 build is OP or whatever. Well you are supposed to be OP at that level, its endgame.

Corran
2016-01-24, 03:09 PM
Ah OK. I totally agree with you on the 20th builds that keep popping up. I mean even if you play to 20, that is usually the end of the game (unless you're doing boons) and so who really cares what you can do at that level. People are always saying this level 20 build is OP or whatever. Well you are supposed to be OP at that level, its endgame.
I like examining how a build will do at 20 levels, as it is nice to see that there is sth sweet waiting for you at the end point, regardless if you get to play that far or not. I find difficult to play a character which after a certain level there is nothing he can plan for and just acts the same way he would do at a lower level.

All that said, it is important to be certain levels along the way, where your character gets sth really important for his build. It is better that these levels are well distributed. For example, my current character (11 level) had some major bumps at levels 4 and 8, and he is about to receive another major bump at 12. After that, every other level I get sth important enough to keep me entertained and anxious of progressing in levels. Likewise, single class builds tend to get sth really important at 5,11 and 18 and/or 20 levels. The best example is full casters, who get a new level of spells every 2 levels.

Bottom line, planning for a nice blend of 20 levels is nice, whether you get to play all those 20 levels or not. Planning for a smoth progression (staying relevant throughout the levels) is even more important. There must be a balance between these two.