PDA

View Full Version : Ua: ranger/ranger too strong?

Nibenay
2016-01-23, 09:54 PM
Hi,
I was looking through the UA and found the alternative ranger. The 1st level ability "ambushcade" looks awfully strong if coupled with an assassin rogue and/or fighters action surge. Any thoughts on this?

Christian
2016-01-23, 10:48 PM
Yes, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?440516-Unearthed-Arcana-Variant-Ranger) lots (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450948-Would-You-Allow-Unearthed-Arcana-Ranger).

Foxhound438
2016-01-24, 10:44 PM
as it stands, if you want to let people use UA ranger in your campaign, you should probably at a minimum say that you don't gain benefit from "once per turn" effects during the extra turn, which would include both sneak attack damage and action surge. Not necessarily a fix-all, but probably enough to keep it away from UA mystic level broken.

Gnomes2169
2016-01-25, 12:07 AM
as it stands, if you want to let people use UA ranger in your campaign, you should probably at a minimum say that you don't gain benefit from "once per turn" effects during the extra turn, which would include both sneak attack damage and action surge. Not necessarily a fix-all, but probably enough to keep it away from UA mystic level broken.

Honestly, the UA ranger is actually a bit more borked than the Mystic... At least as far as combat and ridiculously bad wording and formatting go (2d6 HP and hit dice/ level, anyone?)

But yeah, the UA ranger is just really, really, really, really poorly balanced. And as stated before, this is well known.

Nibenay
2016-01-27, 05:44 PM
I'm not running the campaign, but I enjoy assisting with rules and balance. Of course as a player I enjoy playing a mighty character (I think most do) but to just be given a free turn at the start of the battle seems rather bad (especially with MCing into assassin). It even with the only attack/hide action possible, it eliminates the need for having a good initiative.

Skirmishers stealth seems pretty good though, it would fit very well with the type of character (a thri kreen) I'm considering making in the adventure. I guess I might discuss the class with the DM and try to modify the ambushade to tone it a bit down.