PDA

View Full Version : Healer feat should I take it?

Sir cryosin
2016-01-24, 08:55 AM
There are only 3 in my group and no one has any healing spells. I have already died once and made a new char my stats are 15,18,18,14,16,12 I'm a fighter so I have a lot of ASI. I wanted to get people's opinion. Should I take the feat. I know it not anything special. But it is a cheap heal to keep someone going. I going to talk to my Dm and see if I can change it so it refresh on a short rest. I want to ask if as we get higher lv if the healing on it can gather a little higher. What do ya'll think?

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-24, 09:01 AM
There are only 3 in my group and no one has any healing spells. I have already died once and made a new char my stats are 15,18,18,14,16,12 I'm a fighter so I have a lot of ASI. I wanted to get people's opinion. Should I take the feat. I know it not anything special. But it is a cheap heal to keep someone going. I going to talk to my Dm and see if I can change it so it refresh on a short rest. I want to ask if as we get higher lv if the healing on it can gather a little higher. What do ya'll think?

It already refreshes on a short rest. Which subclass are you going?

Daishain
2016-01-24, 09:14 AM
As mentioned, it already refreshes on a short rest.

Going on the assumption that the ASI in question isn't badly needed for something else, the healer feat would seem to be an excellent choice, whether or not you can convince the DM to let the benefit scale up. Two silver per HP recovery is dirt cheap.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-24, 09:14 AM
It already refreshes on a short rest. Which subclass are you going?

I'm away from my book so thank for pointing that out. My archtype is gunslinger. I have the new fighting style were I don't surfer disadvantage from close range front the U.A so I using a shield and pistol.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-24, 09:31 AM
I'm at lv 3 with a human var with shield master feat.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-24, 09:34 AM
I'm away from my book so thank for pointing that out. My archtype is gunslinger. I have the new fighting style were I don't surfer disadvantage from close range front the U.A so I using a shield and pistol.

No worries. And alright, was just wondering if you were a battlemaster because of rally. As a gunslinger, if you need it that bad it'd be alright, but don't use it for in combat healing, use it for healing when you can't take a short rest between combats. A fighter missing out on a full round of attacking is not worth it.

Zalabim
2016-01-24, 09:42 AM
The amount healed also adds your level by including your maximum number of hit dice. I will second its endorsement as a good feat and the statement that it's not for combat healing.

MeeposFire
2016-01-24, 07:41 PM
The amount healed also adds your level by including your maximum number of hit dice. I will second its endorsement as a good feat and the statement that it's not for combat healing.

Except in a pinch as a thief. Bonus action usage makes it decent though still short range.

MaxWilson
2016-01-24, 08:42 PM

I think it's pretty special. Not only is it a good chunk of free healing per short rest, but it also lets you heal someone an unlimited number of times from 0 (as long as you haven't given them that larger chunk of free healing since the last short rest). What that basically means is that a lone creature cannot defeat your party unless it kills you first, otherwise every time it takes someone down you'll bring them right back up again on your turn.

Unlimited anything is always special.

Now, it's not necessarily the most special thing out there, and there are other cool feats you could take too, but in a group without any healing at all I think your instinct to take Healer is right on the money.

Kane0
2016-01-24, 09:12 PM
-and no one has any healing spells-

Yes, it is worth it. I'm playing a game where we have no full casters. All we have for healing is a fighter with second wind, a ranger with cure wounds, a thief with the healer feat and a witch hunter that dabbles in brewing potions. Our combat medic has kept us up and fighting more than once, so even if you can't do it as a bonus action that healing is a great ability to have.

Dalebert
2016-01-25, 02:13 PM
Seems like a good feat for a bard. Get anyone up with an action in combat. Right before a short rest, use a kit on everyone who needs it and then Song of Rest and you stacking a lot of free healing and saving hit dice. That said, I have never found healing to be a big deal in 5e. I've been in plenty of parties that had little to nothing in the way of healing and we've always done fine. The primary healing in 5e seems to be short rests. Most adventures don't seem to be intensive enough to need a lot of extra healing.