PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monastic Tradition - Way of Harmonious Balance

Ormsbygore
2016-01-24, 02:27 PM
Here's something I created a while back. Heavily influenced by DDO. I wanted a castery Monk option with a focus on healing. Haven't quite used it yet, but I've already given one of my players the go ahead. I've posted this in the "Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition" Facebook group. It was received pretty well. This is the latest version, taking all the feedback I've been given into consideration.

Let me know what you guys think. Does it need to be tweaked more? I greatly welcome constructive criticism and brainstorming.

Enjoy :)

Monastic Tradition - Way of Harmonious Balance

New Feat Available:
Ki Master
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13 or higher
You have trained to master the art of manipulating your Ki energy.
Increases you Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain additional Ki points equal to your Wisdom Modifier

Path of Light(3rd level)
Fists of Light - 1 Ki, Action, Range: Touch. Make an unarmed melee attack against your target. If the attack hits, it applies a healing curse to the target. Melee attacks made against the target heal the attacker for 1d4 hit points, lasts 4 rounds. Only one healing curse can be active at a time. If you apply a second healing curse the first one fades. The healing increases to 2d4 at 8th level, 4d4 at 13th level, and 6d4 at 18th level.
Burst of Light - 2 Ki, Action, Creates a burst of healing light energy centered on the player extending 10 ft in all directions, healing 1d4 + Wis mod hit points to any within the area of effect. The healing increases to 1d6 at 8th level, 2d4 at 13th level, and 2d6 at 18th level.

Path of the Void(6th level)
Void Fist - 3 Ki, Whenever you hit a creature with an unarmed strike granted by Flurry of Blows, you may spend an additional 3 ki to try and stun it with void energy. The creature takes 1d4 + Wis force damage and must make a Constitution save vs your Ki Ability DC or be knocked unconscious for 1d6 rounds. The damage and duration increases to 1d6 + Wis/1d8 rounds at 14th level.
Void Cloak - 4 Ki, Action, Shroud yourself in a translucent purple cloak of ki energy, and vanish. You become invisible for 1 round. Once the invisibility fades you become very blurry, any creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against you, for 5 rounds. You have advantage on stealth checks for the duration. You can also dash as a bonus action immediately after using void cloak.

Path of Illumination(11th level)
Align the Heavens - 2 Ki, Bonus Action, For the next 6 rounds nearby allies, within a 15ft radius, have a 5% chance of regaining a spell slot when casting a spell. Spell slots regained are the lowest level available that’s been used up.
Blessing of Light - 2 Ki, Reaction, When a nearby ally is struck bloodied(below half hit points), you can use your reaction to move up to 5 ft to any ally you can touch. You bestow upon them a beacon of light that heals them over time and lights their path. Heals the target for 1d6 hit points, then again once every three rounds for 6 rounds. The beacon shines bright light in a 10ft radius around the target, and dim light in a 20ft radius. Only one blessing can be active at a time. If you give a second blessing the first one fades. The healing and duration increases to 2d6/9 rounds at 18th level.

Path of Destruction(17th level)
Void Strike - 6 Ki. You have learned to make attacks backed by twisting light and concentrated ki energy. As an action, you make an unarmed melee attack with both fists that erupts in a ball of bright purple void flames, if the attack hits add 8d6 force damage and 4d6 radiant damage. If you roll a natural 20, your target must make a Constitution save vs your Ki Ability DC, if it fails they are erased from existence, if it succeeds it takes damage as normal.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-25, 12:00 PM
Here's something I created a while back. Heavily influenced by DDO. I wanted a castery Monk option with a focus on healing. Haven't quite used it yet, but I've already given one of my players the go ahead. I've posted this in the "Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition" Facebook group. It was received pretty well. This is the latest version, taking all the feedback I've been given into consideration.

Let me know what you guys think. Does it need to be tweaked more? I greatly welcome constructive criticism and brainstorming.

Enjoy :)

Monastic Tradition - Way of Harmonious Balance

Path of Light(3rd level)
Fists of Light - 1 Ki, Action, Range: Touch. Make an unarmed melee attack against your target. If the attack hits, it applies a healing curse to the target. Melee attacks made against the target heal the attacker for 1d4 hit points, lasts 6 rounds. The healing and duration increases to 1d4 + 2 at 8th level, 1d6/7 rounds at 13th level, and 1d6 + 2/9 rounds at 18th level.
Burst of Light - 2 Ki, Action, Creates a burst of healing light energy centered on the player extending 10 ft in all directions, healing 1d4 + Wis mod hit points to any within the area of effect. The healing increases to 1d6 at 8th level, 2d4 at 13th level, and 2d6 at 18th level.

Path of the Void(6th level)
Void Fist - 3 Ki, Whenever you hit a creature with an unarmed strike granted by Flurry of Blows, you may spend an additional 3 ki to try and stun it with void energy. The creature takes 1d4 + Wis force damage and must make a Con save or be knocked unconscious for 1d6 rounds. The damage and duration increases to 1d6 + Wis/1d8 rounds at 14th level.
Void Cloak - 4 Ki, Action, Shroud yourself in a translucent purple cloak of ki energy, and vanish. You become invisible for 1 round. Once the invisibility fades you become very blurry, for 5 rounds. You have advantage on stealth checks for the duration. You can also dash as a bonus action immediately after using void cloak.

Path of Illumination(11th level)
Align the Heavens - 2 Ki, Bonus Action, For the next 6 rounds nearby allies have a 25% chance of regaining a spell slot when casting a spell. Spell slot regained is the lowest level available that’s been used up. 20 ft radius.
Blessing of Light - 2 Ki, Reaction, When a nearby ally is struck bloodied(below half hit points), you can use your reaction to move up to 5 ft to any ally you can touch. You bestow upon them a beacon of light that heals them over time and lights their path. Heals the target for 1d6 hit points, then again once every three rounds for 8 rounds. Shines bright light in a 15ft radius around the target, and dim light in a 30ft radius. Only one blessing can be active at a time. If you give a second blessing the first one fades. The healing and duration increases to 2d6/9 rounds at 18th level.

Path of Destruction(17th level)
Void Strike - 6 Ki. You have learned to make attacks backed by twisting light and concentrated ki energy. As an action, you make an unarmed melee attack with both fists that erupts in a ball of bright purple void flames, if the attack hits add 8d6 force damage and 4d6 radiant damage. If you roll a natural 20, your target must make a Constitution save, if it fails they are erased from existence, if it succeeds it takes damage as normal.
Bonus Ki - You gain bonus ki points equal to half your monk level rounded down.

The features are cool, but just boring spend ki to do something is little bit strange. Maybe give 3 features on every level but level 3 and 11 or something an alternative feature.

Bonus kit is WAY too strong. Only because bonus ki this subclass is better than elemental. Maybe make a feat only for this subclass with +1 wis and ki point equal wisdom score extra but now it is just too strong. Void strike is not on path of void, but there is nothing wrong with that

Overall, I like it, but give it more too do and no extra ki.

Ormsbygore
2016-01-25, 05:39 PM
The features are cool, but just boring spend ki to do something is little bit strange. Maybe give 3 features on every level but level 3 and 11 or something an alternative feature.

Bonus kit is WAY too strong. Only because bonus ki this subclass is better than elemental. Maybe make a feat only for this subclass with +1 wis and ki point equal wisdom score extra but now it is just too strong. Void strike is not on path of void, but there is nothing wrong with that

Overall, I like it, but give it more too do and no extra ki.

Definitely taking extra abilities into consideration. It's been suggested before that I give it some RP/Non-combat abilities that work with it thematically. I've been struggling to come up with some :(. I'll have to take a closer look at the Way of the Four Elements, for balancing. I like the idea of the feat as an option to replace the Bonus Ki.

Something along the lines of this?...

Ki Master
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13 or higher
You have trained to master the art of manipulating your Ki energy.
Increases you Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain additional Ki points equal to your Wisdom Modifier

Thank you for your input.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-25, 08:32 PM
This subclass seems super strong. At 3rd level, anyone who hits a given enemy regain as though hit by Healing Word (granted, admittedly without the Wis mod extra). That's waaay strong for that level, though at higher levels it becomes near-useless.

At 6th level, you become every spellcaster's best friend and have a chance of eliminating the thing that balances out the power to reshape the universe; that is, spell slots. Just for casting near you, they can cast longer. Maybe a 5% change I could see, but given that they get a spell slot back for every 4 spells they cast, this is an incredible buff at all levels.
I like Blessing of Light, but healing once every three rounds for 8 rounds is only 2 heals; you should put for 6 rounds, because the last two rounds won't get you anywhere. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
Void Strike is very iffy. It's 6 Ki for an ability that is relatively underwhelming unless you crit, in which case it arguably is better than Power Word Kill.

If I had more time I'd offer a few more helpful critiques instead of essentially just bashing your class, which isn't my intent even if it seems like it.

I do like the flavor though. A class built around being neutral.

Ormsbygore
2016-01-26, 02:49 PM
This subclass seems super strong. At 3rd level, anyone who hits a given enemy regain as though hit by Healing Word (granted, admittedly without the Wis mod extra). That's waaay strong for that level, though at higher levels it becomes near-useless.

I actually modeled this to be a weaker version of Healing Word. My original version was stronger and more back loaded, but after a lot of feedback, this was the result.

Given this feedback I've tweaked it further. Lowering the duration(with no increase later), limiting it to one healing curse at a time(similar to the blessing ability), and beefing up the back end a little.

At 11th level, you become every spellcaster's best friend and have a chance of eliminating the thing that balances out the power to reshape the universe; that is, spell slots. Just for casting near you, they can cast longer. Maybe a 5% change I could see, but given that they get a spell slot back for every 4 spells they cast, this is an incredible buff at all levels.

This make a lot of sense(1 in 20 vs 1 in 4). Updated.

I like Blessing of Light, but healing once every three rounds for 8 rounds is only 2 heals; you should put for 6 rounds, because the last two rounds won't get you anywhere. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

Not sure if I wrote it clear enough, it should be 3 heals. The initial heal when the ability goes off, then 2 more heals staggered 3 rounds apart(then a total of 4 heals at 18th level). Yeah, the only reason I did that was so the bump up in duration was 1 round instead of 3, but it does seem confusing now that you point that out.

Void Strike is very iffy. It's 6 Ki for an ability that is relatively underwhelming unless you crit, in which case it arguably is better than Power Word Kill.

This one is meant to be a gamble. High cost for a decent increase in damage, and low chance of awesomeness. I could beef up the damage, but I think it's ok where it is.

If I had more time I'd offer a few more helpful critiques instead of essentially just bashing your class, which isn't my intent even if it seems like it.

I do like the flavor though. A class built around being neutral.

Thank you very much for you input. It didn't seem like bashing in the slightest. I've updated the original post to reflect changes I've made.

That was definitely the intention of the class option. :)

With the Bonus Ki removed, and turned into an optional weaker feat. There should be some room for some minor fluff abilities.

Ormsbygore
2016-01-28, 12:41 PM
I had an idea for adding some fluff, and decreasing the overall power of the class option. At levels 3 and 6, there are 3 abilities instead of two. A minor fluff ability, and a choice between the two that were there previously. Making them mutually exclusive.

Here's what I came up with for level 3. I beefed up the healing on burst to compensate for not having both abilities.

Path of Light(3rd level)
Insightful Conversationalist - You gauge a situation before opening your mouth, using careful thought instead of quick wit. You gain proficiency in the social skill of your choice(Deception, Intimidation, or Persuasion), and you may use your Wisdom instead of Charisma when making skill checks for this skill.
Choose one of the following:
Fists of Light - 1 Ki, Action, Range: Touch. Make an unarmed melee attack against your target. If the attack hits, it applies a healing curse to the target. Melee attacks made against the target heal the attacker for 1d4 hit points, lasts 4 rounds. Only one healing curse can be active at a time. If you apply a second healing curse the first one fades. The healing increases to 2d4 at 8th level, 4d4 at 13th level, and 6d4 at 18th level.
Burst of Light - 2 Ki, Action, Creates a burst of healing light energy centered on the player extending 10 ft in all directions. Up to 6 creatures of your choice within range each regain hit points equal to 2d4 + Wisdom modifier. The healing increases to 2d6 + Wis Mod at 8th level, 2d8 + Wis Mod at 13th level, and 2d10 + Wis Mod at 18th level.