PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Eldritch Contractor (Binder-Warlock Theurge PrC)

Zaydos
2016-01-24, 03:37 PM
ELDRITCH CONTRACTOR

"A deal is a deal." – Tihmeh, Eldritch Contractor

There are beings of power. Pacts with them have long been a source of power for otherwise normal mortals. For some this power is passed down for generations, powerful pacts which shape a bloodline. Others are just little deals where in a mortal allows something to enter them for a time. An Eldritch Contractor is the result of both pacts, a soul twice sold working to find the power to shape the world.

Becoming an Eldritch Contractor

An Eldritch Contractor must develop skill and talent in both forms of pact magic. For some they are born of bloodlines tainted by a fiendish or fey pact, for others they make it themselves, but all must seek out knowledge of pact magic and the knowledge of how magical pacts work, how they can be created, and how they can be manipulated.

Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks.
Invocations: At least 2 invocations.
Soulbinding: Ability to bind 3rd level vestiges.
Special: 2d6 eldritch blast.

Class Skills
The Eldritch Contractor's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge(history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + Int

HD Type: d6.

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialInvoking
1st+0+0+0+2Invoke Vestige, Soulbinding +1+1 level of existing invocation using class
2nd+1+0+0+3Skilled Pact Maker, Soulbinding +2+1 level of existing invocation using class
3rd+2+1+1+3Soulbinding +3+1 level of existing invocation using class
4th+3+1+1+4Favored Pact, Soulbinding +4+1 level of existing invocation using class
5th+3+1+1+4Anima Blast, Soulbinding +5+1 level of existing invocation using class
6th+4+2+2+5Swear Pact, Soulbinding +6+1 level of existing invocation using class
7th+5+2+2+5Flawless Pact Making, Soulbinding +7+1 level of existing invocation using class
8th+6+2+2+6Favored Pact, Soulbinding +8+1 level of existing invocation using class
9th+6+3+3+6Second Anima Blast, Soulbinding +9+1 level of existing invocation using class
10th+7+3+3+7Intensify Anima Blast, Soulbinding +10+1 level of existing invocation using class

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An Eldritch Contractor gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Soulbinding: At each eldritch contractor level, your soulbinding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your eldritch contract levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your abilities to bind-higher level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Invoking: At each level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Invoke Vestige: An Eldritch Contractor learns to create minor pacts and conduits to vestiges that they do not currently have bound. An Eldritch Contractor may select an at-will or continuous abilities of a vestige as an invocation known. A continuous ability has a target of you and a duration of 24 hours. Abilities belonging to 3rd level or lower vestiges count as Least Invocations, those of 4th and 5th level vestiges count as Lesser, 6th and 7th vestiges count as Greater, and 8th level vestige abilities count as Dark invocations.

Skilled Pact Maker (Ex): An Eldritch Contractor is a student of pacts born from two paths of pact magic, developing from that a skill in pacts and deals both mortal and beyond mortal. Beginning at 2nd level an Eldritch Contractor gains a +2 to Diplomacy, Profession (Lawyer), and Profession (Merchant) checks, as well as any Craft check to design a pact or contract and any Profession skill which deals extensively with pacts and deals. An Eldritch Contractor also gains a +2 bonus on Binding checks.

Favored Pact: An Eldritch Contractor learns how to form a resonance of energy with a favored vestige. At 4th level select one vestige you can bind, you gain a +1 to your effective binder level for that vestige and when you gain this ability select one benefit from the list below and you gain that benefit whenever your selected vestige is bound. At 8th level select another vestige you can bind, you gain a +1 to your effective binder level for that vestige and when you gain this ability select one benefit from the list below and you gain that benefit whenever your selected vestige is bound, if it is the same as the one you selected at 4th level it does not stack.

+1d6 Eldritch Blast damage.
+1 to save DC of your eldritch blast.
+1 to save DC of your non-eldritch blast invocations.
+2 to save DC of granted powers of the selected vestige.
You gain DR 2/cold iron.
Select a skill, you gain a +3 to checks with that skill.
+1 to saving throws.

Anima Blast: An Eldritch Contractor learns to channel the energy of their bound vestiges through their eldritch blast. Beginning at 5th level once per day, through a ritual that takes 1 minute, you may select one vestige you have bound and gain an anima blast which corresponds with the bound vestige. Each anima blast counts as an eldritch essence, a blast shape, or both. The effective spell level of an Anima Blast is ½ your Effective Binder Level for that vestige to a maximum of 9th. If the associated vestige ceases to be bound for any reason you lose access to your anima blast.

Beginning at 9th level when you select your anima blast for the day you may select a second bound vestige to gain the associated anima blast for the day.

Acererak: Your Eldritch Blast deals damage as negative energy and heals undead. This is considered an Eldritch Essence.
Agares: A flying creature struck by your eldritch blast must make a Fortitude save or be knocked 10 ft away from you, a standing or climbing creature must make a Fortitude save or fall and land prone. This is considered an Eldritch Essence.
Amon: Your eldritch blast takes the shape of a line out to 10 ft per caster level which deals fire damage unless an eldritch essence changes this. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Andras: Your eldritch blast narrows and sharpens into a lance of eldritch energy. Its threat range becomes 18-20 and its critical multiplier becomes x3. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Andromalius: Your eldritch blast reveals invisible creatures. An invisible creature struck by your eldritch blast becomes outlined with a visible glow for 1 minute. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Aym: Your eldritch blast ignores hardness less than 20 and deals double damage to objects. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Balam: Your eldritch blast deals Cold damage and a struck target must make a Fortitude save or be slowed for 1 round. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Buer: Your eldritch blast becomes an entangling net. It strikes a 10 ft by 10 ft square within 30 ft. Creatures within this area take damage as normal from your eldritch blast and are entangled for 1 round. A reflex save is allowed to halve this damage and negate the entangled status. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Chupoclops: Your eldritch blast affects incorporeal creatures as if it were ghost touch. In addition it becomes poisonous. A creature damaged by your eldritch blast must make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 Dexterity damage. They must repeat this save 1 minute later. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Dahvler-Nar: Any creature damaged by your eldritch blast must make a Will save or for 1 round ½ of the damage dealt to you is transferred to them. If multiple creatures fail their saves you still take ½ the normal damage you would have received and they each take ½ what you would have received. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Dantalion: Your eldritch blast splits into a number of separate bolts equal to your Charisma modifier. Each of these bolts uses the same attack roll and must target a different creature. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Eligor: When you use this anima blast select an energy type from acid, cold, electricity, and fire. Your eldritch blast deals damage of that type and deals +1d6 damage. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Eurynome: Your eldritch blast deals +1 damage/die to lawful creatures, and lawful creatures struck must make a Will save or be slowed for 1 round. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Focalor: A creature struck by your eldritch blast must make a Fortitude save or be blinded for 1 round. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Geryon: Your eldritch blast carries through your gaze. Each enemy that can see you within 30 ft takes damage from your eldritch blast, a successful Will save halves. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Haagenti: Your eldritch blast twists and disfigures targets. It deals 1d6 Charisma damage. This counts as a transmutation and transformation effect. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Halphax: Your eldritch blast forms a contiguous wall 10-ft tall, infinitely thin, and 10-ft long per caster level, you may have it double in height by halving the length (triple for 1/3rd and so forth). The wall must be unbroken when formed and lasts for 1 round per caster level. This wall grants concealment but not cover, however any object or creature passing through it takes damage as if struck by your eldritch blast (no save). You may only have on such wall active at a time. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Haures: Your eldritch blast lingers around your mind. The next time a creature contacts you telepathically or targets you with a mind-affecting spell or spell-like ability they receive the effects of your eldritch blast; a Will save halves this damage. You may only have one instance of Haures’s Anima Blast active at a time. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Ipos: Your eldritch blast forces creatures back to their plane of origin. Any extraplanar creature struck must make a Will save or be returned to a random location on their home plane. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Karsus: You concentrate the energy of your eldritch essence into your eldritch blast. Your eldritch blast deals ½ damage but gets a +2 to the save DC. Your eldritch blast is still a 60 ft ray. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Leraje: Your eldritch blast has a range of 800 ft. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Malphas: Your eldritch blast is a 30 ft ray which originates from your bird created with Malphas’s Bird’s Eye View ability. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Marchosias: Your eldritch blast paralyzes targets that fail a Fortitude save for 1 round. This counts as an Eldritch Blast.
Naberius: You lace your voice with the energy of your eldritch blast. It damages all enemies that can hear you within 30 ft, a Will save halves this damage. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Orthos: Your eldritch blast seeks out all enemies within 30 ft of you, Reflex halves. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Otiax: Eldritch Glaive but may freely strike adjacent creatures. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Paimon: As part of using your eldritch blast you may move up to your speed and deal eldritch blast damage with a melee touch attack to each creature you pass adjacent to. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Ronove: Your eldritch blast pushes a target 10 ft directly away from you unless they make a Fortitude save. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Savnok: Your eldritch blast lingers around your body as a sort of armor. You gain an armor bonus to AC equal to the number of dice of damage your eldritch blast deals. The next time a creature successfully strikes you with a non-reach weapon melee attack this energy discharges into the attacker dealing its full damage (Ref halves) to them (you lose the armor bonus when this happens). You may only have one instance of Savnok’s Animaa Blast active at a time. This counts as a Blast Shape.
Shax: Your eldritch blast deals sonic damage and deafens foes for 1 round unless they succeed on a Fortitude save. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Tenebrous: Your eldritch blast inflicts 2 negative levels on a target unless they succeed on a Fortitude save, these negative levels last 1 round. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.
Zagan: Your eldritch blast freezes the minds of those it strikes. Any creature damaged by your eldritch blast must make a Will save or be dazed for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting effect. This counts as an Eldritch Essence.

Swear Pact (Su): An Eldritch Contractor is a craftsman of pacts, whose life is tangled completely within these pacts. Beginning at 6th level an Eldritch Contractor may, through a ritual taking 1 minute, forge a pact between 2 or more creatures which agree to it. Creatures must be willing, informed as to the nature of the magical bonds placed upon them, and cannot be under duress. This pact must have a certain agreed upon course of action for each creature which forms a part of the pact. If any creature breaks their end of the pact they suffer the effects of a Bestow Curse spell (no save) which can only be removed through an atonement spell and a quest to go along with it (as determined by the DM) or a Miracle or Wish spell. The effects of this curse are the same for all parties involved and must affect all creatures in the pact detrimentally. Once one creature has broken a pact and suffered the curse all other creatures involved are freed of their obligations and cannot receive this curse.

Flawless Pact Making: An Eldritch Contractor is a master of pacts, able to find just what a vestige wants and press in giving the minimum ground. Beginning at 7th level an Eldritch Contractor no longer has to roll binding checks. Instead they are always considered to have rolled a natural 20 before modifiers.

Intensify Anima Blast: An Eldritch Contractor can force the resonance between their eldritch powers and that of a bound vestige to create a more powerful blast, but doing so strains the bonds draining the vestige pact temporarily. Beginning at 10th level an Eldritch Contractor when using an Anima Blast may increase their eldritch blast’s damage by 5d6, but if they do so the pact with the associated vestige is temporarily drained causing the vestige to become unbound for 5 rounds before automatically re-binding. During this time an Eldritch Contractor may not bind another vestige even if they did not have their maximum number bound beforehand.

Caruff
2016-01-24, 05:14 PM
:smallbiggrin: This is awesome. Exactly the sort of PrC I was picturing. I really like the Favored Vestige ability, it's a neat way to link invocations and vestiges without it getting really complex. It's solid and simple, and I know my DM will like it. My binder/warlock char I've got going now is on the verge of 10th level, and tomorrow when we play I'm gonna level him straight into this class. Thank you so much, Zaydos!

Edit: Just noticed Flawless Pact Making. Love it. It's the one part my DM might balk at though, he lloves it when I fail my binding checks... :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2016-01-24, 09:16 PM
:smallbiggrin: This is awesome. Exactly the sort of PrC I was picturing. I really like the Favored Vestige ability, it's a neat way to link invocations and vestiges without it getting really complex. It's solid and simple, and I know my DM will like it. My binder/warlock char I've got going now is on the verge of 10th level, and tomorrow when we play I'm gonna level him straight into this class. Thank you so much, Zaydos!

Edit: Just noticed Flawless Pact Making. Love it. It's the one part my DM might balk at though, he lloves it when I fail my binding checks... :smalltongue:

I love failed binding checks as well, the base class invoking-binding hybrid takes it in the opposite direction by making you have to willingly accept poor pacts for the vestiges' invocations.

Real reason for this post: Any favorite non-ToM vestiges that need anima blasts?

Debihuman
2016-01-24, 10:07 PM
Is this the correct boilerplate phrasing for soulbinding:

Soulbinding: At each eldritch contractor level, your soulbinding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your eldritch contract levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your abilities to bind-higher level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Debby

Zaydos
2016-01-24, 10:09 PM
Is this the correct boilerplate phrasing for soulbinding:

Debby

Yes, yes it is. I can't copy-paste from ToM and I got lazy.

Debihuman
2016-01-24, 10:18 PM
I don't have TOM handy so this is me looking things up on the interwebz.

And this seems to be the phrasing for invoking:

Invoking: At each level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Just to be sure I'm doing this right. If so, your chart should have Invoking not Spellcasting as a header. See

Thanks
Debby

Zaydos
2016-01-24, 10:33 PM
I don't have TOM handy so this is me looking things up on the interwebz.

And this seems to be the phrasing for invoking:

Just to be sure I'm doing this right. If so, your chart should have Invoking not Spellcasting as a header. See

Thanks
Debby

See what?

And that'd be the Hellfire Warlock phrasing instead of the Eldritch Disciple/Theurge (which is what I was copying hence it had a spellcasting header) which ignores the existence of DFA but does make it more clear that yes EB increases. As it's already not DFA friendly (neither are Eldritch Disciple or Eldritch Theurge) I should probably use it since it is otherwise superior.

Caruff
2016-01-24, 10:52 PM
I'm honestly not very familiar with many non ToM vestiges, besides Ashardalon (from Dragon Magic, I think). As I've only been using ToM for my binder so far, the list you have up is perfect! Are there any other splatbooks that have vestiges besides ToM and Dragon Magic?

Zaydos
2016-01-25, 04:29 PM
I'm honestly not very familiar with many non ToM vestiges, besides Ashardalon (from Dragon Magic, I think). As I've only been using ToM for my binder so far, the list you have up is perfect! Are there any other splatbooks that have vestiges besides ToM and Dragon Magic?

Not splatbooks but there were a lot on WotC's website, with highly varying power (there was one which was considered to be enough to singlehandedly up binder a tier on the tier list), and some in Dragon Magazine (Primus being my favorite and least favorite of those because Planescape reference).